Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:07:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeComic Creation Program
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Comic Creation Program  (Read 1451 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:49:25 PM »

Is there a need?

The need comes from myself, as I have had a hard time creating comic layouts in Photoshop, and most image editing tools in general don't seem to be very good at it.

I had the idea today to just make one, so I did! It's quite simple right now, and actually creating layouts isn't totally intuitive as of the moment.(it needs a lot of grid snapping)

The idea is that you can create layouts by creating and placing cells on your page as you wish. You can customize the pages and cell backgrounds with colors or images of your choosing. The cells feature the ability to fit an image inside of them, of course, so you can create the final version of your comic page right there.

Cells are manipulated by either dragging the whole thing, or manipulating any of the four 2d vectors that create it's shape.(this is why it needs grid snapping)

The workflow is that you'd draw the images yourself in any image editing tool you choose. Then, you'd bring them into this program, create the layout, and put the images in the cells. From there, you'd just export the project as an image file.

It would be freeware.

Now I ask:
Would you use this program if you were to make a comic?

I'm mostly creating it for personal reasons, but if enough people take interest I'm quite liable to turn this into a full-fledged user-friendly application for others to use.  Smiley

GameRoom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:56:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure one exists already.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »

All of the recommended ones I found on the first page and some had a price tag on them.(although most had free trials)

My initiative is to make a great piece of software to properly fulfill the need, without costing anything.
Even though most of them were cheap,(< 100 USD) I don't think it's necessary. Epileptic

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:07:07 AM »

I'd love to be able to have something like this at my disposal.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:33:38 AM »

http://plasq.com/comiclife-win like this one?

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »

Okay, so!
I've been putting more attention into my game than this.(no regrets there)

But, I figure I should show something.  Smiley

Here's the basic layout of the application. It's currently being made in Game Maker 8, just so I don't have to bother with usual C++ nuisances for prototyping.
You can see one cell is selected, and 4 points are at the corners of the cell so you may freely adjust it's shape.

Here you can see one of the 'Drawers' open, which shows a list of all the pages you have open.

Still working on this one-- The Properties Drawer. Here you can view and edit parameters of whatever object is selected. For now, it just displays parameters, and not in the prettiest way. But I'm getting there!

Next up might be a video or an early demo.

[EDIT 1.0.0]
Just as a note, on the properties window those two should be false. I was checking the boolean in the wrong order. Smiley

[EDIT 1.0.1]
I've added image masking now.
Now that the feature is in(but still needs some refining to make it more intuitive to use) my application is one large step closer to being... Useful! Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:48:34 PM by Jakman4242 » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic