Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:51:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Quest: A Very Alternative Game Library in Development
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Quest: A Very Alternative Game Library in Development  (Read 4982 times)
rogerlevy
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 07:18:21 AM »

Yes!  It should work fine with the trial version, which is free and doesn't expire.  Gentleman
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 07:49:23 AM »

Ah, glad to hear that! The site says it does expire so I didn't bother downloading at the first time. :D

rogerlevy
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 08:03:36 AM »

Nope- here's the signup page:  http://www.forth.com/swiftforth/trial-system.html
rogerlevy
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »

So, I couldn't help but notice that a few people have downloaded the library.  I was just wondering, to anyone that has dlded, what has your experience been like?  Anyone get it running on Vista?  I know it's really early and probably hard to even figure the thing out with the sparse docs so I'm not expecting much.  It will just help me a lot to get any user feedback, just so I know where I'm at usability-wise, and what needs to be improved.
increpare
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »

there are no examples yet.  the author hasn't done anything with it it, I don't think he expects us to do anything with it either; I'm looking at this as more of a 'diary' thread for now.
rogerlevy
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »

makes sense!  a diary thread.  ok!

well, i happen to be very keen on porting all or most of my unfinished Forth games to this system, and making a demo out of a small segment of a larger new project I've been thinking about for ages.

right now as I write I'm in the process of getting ready to put together the Framework, which is sort of the analog to the Flash display list, except it's more tailored to the flavor of Quest and of course geared towards pushing those sprites and polygons.  really it's less than it sounds because i've already coded a broken, muddled version of it and just need to just rearrange that into the latest design (which i've posted on my blog).

i'll post my progress as things unfold this weekend!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »

I submitted a link for the project site to proggit the other day, http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/9vs1c/forthquest_a_game_development_library_for/

One question arose, about your choice of Forth rather than Factor.
rogerlevy
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »

Very cool, thanks for posting it! 

Looks like the comments are increasing.  I just wrote a couple replies.
rogerlevy
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »

I just put up a new snapshot on the project page. Coffee

I'm using the new unit test program as a pimpin' demo for the time being.  Both the unit test / demo and the graphics editor are in this release.  BUGS EXIST. 

The framework is set.  Now you can write programs in a way similar to Flash.  The demo shows an early, kludgey way of doing things.  All will be streamlined in time.  Changes are constant and somewhat chaotic, so I wouldn't recommend creating anything bigger than a Hello World kind of thing.

Instructions for running the demo are here

Direct download link
rogerlevy
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »

Just ran a first benchmark on the stress-test portion of the unit test.  The speed is awesome.  I posted about it on my blog but I just wanted to post here too - copy/paste:

My CPU: 1.7ghz Pentium M
My GPU: MOBILITY RADEON 9700

Benchmark results (from OBJECT-TEST):
200 tween tasks (using EXPONENTIAL-EASE) controlling 100 filled transparent and opaque circles (radius=50)
  microseconds: ~350
  mean processing time: 2.05% (percent of a 60hz frame)
  FPS: 2924

Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right
increpare
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »

Tongue
rogerlevy
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »

New version.

Lots of new features and fixes.  A graphics editor is included.

I'm still working on my "example game".    Hand Pencil BlinkBlinkHand Any Key
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic