Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 09:49:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSubterrane [formerly Mining Game]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Subterrane [formerly Mining Game]  (Read 67146 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »

Ah. I guess I was confused by all the rockets and bombs into thinking this was some kind of battle game. Hand Any Key  I imagined it becoming a real-time Worms-like game, ideally team-based.  The game feels like Knytt to me, but without all the charming little animals running around. Gomez  Is there a design written somewhere that I can read?

"Mine On You Tiny Shy Gun"
There are some design sketches, but I haven't scanned them or anything.
But the basic idea is that you're a mining robot. You're tasked with heading down to the planet, digging out gold and other valuable things, and then flying back into space, all before your energy runs out.
Ashkin
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »

I reorganized the code. Before it was all just shoved in one big folder. It's better now.
I'll probably begin work on the orbital drill now.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »

NO FOLDERS

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »

Just put all your files directly on the hard drive.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »

AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

LOG 18TH SEPTEMBER 2011 DAY 20
Spent a lot of today working on HTML, got an acceptable looking webpage up for the demo so it doesn't make anyone's eyes bleed quite as much. Also finished crater code, rudimentary high-scoring (with nothing to display it yet though), and started working on the rocket launcher/bazooka/rooty tooty point and shooty/whatever.
Here's a new demo to mostly show off the html page, but you can also take a look around the new caverns, check out the chests, admire the craters, and whatever.
The demos will be located at this page until further notice:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3802044/procgen.html

Oh wow the rockets and bombs in this version are fundiculous.

Thewre's something funny about basically peeing bombs that send an explosive path of destruction below. On the bright side; the explosion effects look great!

Ashkin
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »

Spent a lot of today working on HTML, got an acceptable looking webpage up for the demo so it doesn't make anyone's eyes bleed quite as much. Also finished crater code, rudimentary high-scoring (with nothing to display it yet though), and started working on the rocket launcher/bazooka/rooty tooty point and shooty/whatever.
Here's a new demo to mostly show off the html page, but you can also take a look around the new caverns, check out the chests, admire the craters, and whatever.

Thewre's something funny about basically peeing bombs that send an explosive path of destruction below. On the bright side; the explosion effects look great!
Ehehe
Yeah I disabled the delay between bombs because I felt like having a little fun.
Forgot to disable it Tongue
NO FOLDERS
GO AWAY MOM I CAN ORGANIZE MY FILES HOW I WANT
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »

Ehehe
Yeah I disabled the delay between bombs because I felt like having a little fun.
Forgot to disable it Tongue
NO FOLDERS
GO AWAY MOM I CAN ORGANIZE MY FILES HOW I WANT

Hahah, you should leave it like that. It would be so broken but infinitely amusing. Also YEAH LEAVE HIM ALONE WHY ARE  YOU SO MEAN Tongue jk jk

Ashkin
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »

Doop
Ashkin
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2011, 12:07:15 AM »

Dudes, what should I do about controls? Some people say they dislike mouse-aim + WASD. Should I stick with it or find a different control scheme?
Also, I can't decide what to program next. An orbital drill, or different stone strengths. Opinions?~
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:43 AM »

Well, The Binding of Issac did this nifty firing thing with WASD + Arrows. Assuming you have no reason to aim stuff diagonally, that should work fine. Just put a little intrinsic "up arc" in the bomb-throwing.

And stone strengths FTW. You'll want to know if the pacing needs more fine-tuning after implementing those, and having the OD to work on after that will keep your pace pretty good.

Ashkin
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »

Well, The Binding of Issac did this nifty firing thing with WASD + Arrows. Assuming you have no reason to aim stuff diagonally, that should work fine. Just put a little intrinsic "up arc" in the bomb-throwing.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Another thing I considered was hold the fire button, then press a directional key to fire in that direction. It would allow for diagonal aiming, which could be pretty important.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

Dudes, what should I do about controls? Some people say they dislike mouse-aim + WASD. Should I stick with it or find a different control scheme?
Also, I can't decide what to program next. An orbital drill, or different stone strengths. Opinions?~

i vote to stick with wasd and mouse. I think the next thing to program is to make the display bigger!

Ashkin
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »

make the display bigger!
You mean viewport size, or resolution? Or just bigger sprites (redo all the sprites to twice the size)?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »

make the display bigger!
You mean viewport size, or resolution? Or just bigger sprites (redo all the sprites to twice the size)?

Can you just blowup the whole viewport? I'm running 1920x1080 so it covers about a 1/6 of my screen. Until then I'll just [windows_key]+
  • to zoom in. Smiley

Ashkin
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2011, 12:58:27 AM »

Can you just blowup the whole viewport? I'm running 1920x1080 so it covers about a 1/6 of my screen. Until then I'll just [windows_key]+
  • to zoom in. Smiley
I'll upload a special 2x res for you soon. It's just that the final version won't look like that because then the viewport would have to be 800*800, which would mean that most flash portals wouldn't accept it.
Ashkin
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:05 AM »

• to zoom in. Smiley
I'll upload a special 2x res for you soon. It's just that the final version won't look like that because then the viewport would have to be 800*800, which would mean that most flash portals wouldn't accept it.
Yeah okay it turns out I'm not doing this because it breaks at that res because of me being silly
Everyone, y u have eyestrain from staring at my game?
Ashkin
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »

• to zoom in. Smiley
Yeah okay it turns out I'm not doing this because it breaks at that res because of me being silly
Everyone, y u have eyestrain from staring at my game?
Man, this wasn't nice of me. Sorry.
2x res build uploaded here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3802044/procgendoubleres.html <3
I'll try to keep it up to date since so many people seem to get eyestrain from the game. It's admittedly tiny, and I'm still thinking of how I should fix it.

Edit: Oh yeah, this version also includes the remade drill. Mouse to aim and hold mouse button to drill. Tell me how it feels.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to put caves back in. Fixed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:52:05 PM by Ashkin » Logged
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2011, 07:57:16 AM »

This is pretty. :D
Ashkin
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »

The lack of music followed by loud sound effects pretty much made me shit myself.
Hehe, sorry.
This is pretty. :D
Thanks <3

Right now I'm trying to think of a good way to implement stone strengths. At first I thought of having three seperate tilemaps, but that wouldn't work due to the way FlxTilemap works. Then I thought of having one tilemap with three different tile types, but I can't have that and autotiling at the same time, as far as I know. So now I'm thinking of having something to tint tiles the farther down they are, so that there's a graphical difference. I mean, it's easy doing the actual strengths, but I want to be able to tell them apart.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic