Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 01:07:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAubergine Sky
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aubergine Sky  (Read 3269 times)
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »

An autobiographical flash game about an evening walk.

I'd pretty much finished this a little while back, but only just made up my mind on whether I wanted to release it.  So yeah, here it is, hope you like it.

http://jwhiting.nfshost.com/coding/auberginesky/

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »

I like it. Heartbreakingly personal.
Tears of Joy

Burr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »

What is this? Games imply some level of interactivity.
While I was figuring if there's anything to do, Firefox froze, though your game kept playing.

Huh?

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »

Firefox was ok for me. I liked this too. I felt though that the gameplay of the moments scene clashed a little with the text, the movements had to be slow and precise, where the text implied or connoted different feelings. In the maze also movements felt really precise but this seemed to clash with the feelings a little...I'm curious what others think.

I like how the gameplay made me think more about the text than I would have if I was just reading along in a story.

Anyway, nice gameplay.  Smiley

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »

I think you did a good job of conveying feeling through the gameplay- the where's Waldo forest creatures and the maze seemed a bit more distracting than the other sections, but the rest really reinforced the mood fairly well for me.

I was initially unsure of how the interactivity worked. I only knew that it was in some way interactive. I think fumbling for controls alienated me a bit and was slightly frustrating- I would have been able to sink into the game much more readily had I known what the controls were beforehand.

This is a neat piece. You have a very light touch. It's very unpretentious and (aside from initial confusion about the controls) very accessible. Because of this it doesn't feel manipulative or elitist the way a lot of expressive art does. The feeling of the game is lingering for quite a while. I'm glad you made this, and happy to have had a chance to see it.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 02:56:47 AM »

Great atmosphere and good unintrusive gameplay.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink
Renton
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 03:40:41 AM »

I like it.
Captain_404
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »

I'm not sure what I think of this, to be honest. Maybe I've just missed the point.

The text and gameplay combination was a bit distracting for me, I felt like there was a certain disharmony between them.

I think it's because the text didn't really need the game, and the game might not have even needed the text. I mean, it seems obvious that the text was written first and the game afterward, every gameplay element is derived from a line of text in the writing.

And the player never really connects with the character, or at least I didn't. It wasn't clear to me whether you are supposed to take the role of the character her(him?)self or some third party. Much of this is due to the last frame. All of the previous three could easily have been the player and character being one and the same, but in the fourth, the character never mentions herself in the act of dotting the night sky with stars, the stars are already there.

Now, I did really appreciate the heavy emphasis on text (it actually reminds me of a similar project I've been working on), games could use more writing that doesn't sound forced or out of place. But this is an odd case. The gameplay really felt forced and out of place to me. The writing is really nuanced and subtle (at least for game writing) but the gameplay metaphors you create aren't. It's a classic case of "See this red box here? That's emotion. Now be emotional."

I hope this didn't sound harsh or anything, I'm not trying to be. There's something that just stikes me as off about this game and I'm still not sure what it is.
Jolli
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »

finished it

first part is frustrating
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »

This is a neat piece. You have a very light touch. It's very unpretentious and (aside from initial confusion about the controls) very accessible. Because of this it doesn't feel manipulative or elitist the way a lot of expressive art does. The feeling of the game is lingering for quite a while.

This comment made my day, thank you Smiley

I'm not sure what I think of this, to be honest. Maybe I've just missed the point.

If you have then it's nobodies fault but my own.  I'm going to respond to some of the points you make below inline.  You raise some good and interesting points, and it's far more interesting to discuss them than ignore them.  Hopefully I won't come across as a reactionary douchebag Wink

The text and gameplay combination was a bit distracting for me, I felt like there was a certain disharmony between them.

I think it's because the text didn't really need the game, and the game might not have even needed the text. I mean, it seems obvious that the text was written first and the game afterward, every gameplay element is derived from a line of text in the writing.

This is particularly interesting, because, obvious or not it certainly wasn't the way I made it.  There was a fair amount of bouncing back and forth between gameplay and writing in an attempt to make the two fit together well, but the general order of creation was kind of opposite to the way you describe.  For each scene I started with a (for the sake of a better word) thought that I wanted to put across, then came the mechanic I hoped would fit it, and then the text came last.

Writing the text was the hardest part of creating the game for me, as I needed it to be instructive, and yet honest, whilst fitting in fairly tight constraints on size.  I can only let others judge how successful I was with it.

And the player never really connects with the character, or at least I didn't. It wasn't clear to me whether you are supposed to take the role of the character her(him?)self or some third party. Much of this is due to the last frame. All of the previous three could easily have been the player and character being one and the same, but in the fourth, the character never mentions herself in the act of dotting the night sky with stars, the stars are already there.

I must admit I'd not thought of the potential disconnect in the final scene at all, and it's a fair point.  I have to say, as an autobiographical work I've found it particularly difficult to distance myself sufficently from the character to spot that sort of thing.

Oh, and in many ways it's pretty irrelevant, but in case it confuses anyone it's 'himself' not 'herself'.  I can't say it's the first time my hair's caused such ambiguity  Embarrassed

I hope this didn't sound harsh or anything, I'm not trying to be. There's something that just stikes me as off about this game and I'm still not sure what it is.

Not at all, if you have further thoughts I'd be very glad to hear them.  Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts up.

... and thanks generally to everyone, some very kind comments Smiley

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »

Oh, and in many ways it's pretty irrelevant, but in case it confuses anyone it's 'himself' not 'herself'.  I can't say it's the first time my hair's caused such ambiguity  Embarrassed

Haha, I used to have long hair. That happened to me twice, and that was enough to convince me to have short hair for the rest of my life.
Captain_404
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »

You raise some good and interesting points, and it's far more interesting to discuss them than ignore them.  Hopefully I won't come across as a reactionary douchebag Wink

I completely agree. I think it's especially important with these experimental titles to figure out what worked and what didn't. I look forward to an intelligent discussion!

This is particularly interesting, because, obvious or not it certainly wasn't the way I made it.  There was a fair amount of bouncing back and forth between gameplay and writing in an attempt to make the two fit together well, but the general order of creation was kind of opposite to the way you describe.  For each scene I started with a (for the sake of a better word) thought that I wanted to put across, then came the mechanic I hoped would fit it, and then the text came last.

You know, it's interesting. Right after I wrote that I thought, "But... what if it was the other way around?" and I can see how both could be true. The most important thing here though is not whether or not I was right (of course I would say that) but that I felt the need to make the distinction between the two. I'll try to talk a bit about why I felt such disconnect between the two a bit later on.

Writing the text was the hardest part of creating the game for me, as I needed it to be instructive, and yet honest, whilst fitting in fairly tight constraints on size.  I can only let others judge how successful I was with it.

I'd be interested to hear more about your process in this. How much does the text reflect the thought you wanted to convey and how much does it reflect the gameplay? Did you write the text about the gameplay (in any way)?

I must admit I'd not thought of the potential disconnect in the final scene at all, and it's a fair point.  I have to say, as an autobiographical work I've found it particularly difficult to distance myself sufficiently from the character to spot that sort of thing.

I think it's largely the text which causes this fracture. I think if I had gone through the game without it I would have been much more confused regarding the game's intent, but would have clearly seen myself as a third party. At no point do you directly control the character in a physical manner. You can push away dark blobs from the character, but without the text you might assume you were some type of god-character, keeping evil away from this man on the street.

The text, however, adds that extra layer which places the player in the mind of the walker. References to pushing back or holding things close have the duality of describing the character's mind and the player's actions. The final scene breaks this trend. The character merely observes the stars, whereas the gameplay seems to suggest the player is creating them.

*small correction to my last post while I'm at it, seems the night sky w/ stars is the 5th scene, not the 4th, I'm sure you knew what I meant anyway

Ok, so I'll try to speak here on what struck me as off.

I think each frame is made up of three basic elements: setting, gameplay, and text.

Frame 1: Obviously the setting here is real-world, or at least could be. There's nothing extraordinary or abstract to it. The text is similar, apart from using strong verbs as metaphors it is quite feasible and doesn't seem out of place for writing. The problem here is the gameplay, which consists of pushing back "worries". These are represented by an abstract symbol in a concrete world. Where the streets are real, the idea of home is real, and even worries are real, floating brown clouds are not. For me, it makes them feel out of place, or rather, it makes me feel their representation is out of place. The worries are easy for me to accept, the floating black clouds, however, are abstract where everything else is real.

Frame 2: This has basically the same problems as the last. None of these white clouds are, to the player, green tea, music, or Irina; they are just white clouds. But how does one show these things through plausible elements? It's easy to have white clouds float around, or maybe even specific objects like tea cups floating around, but both these solutions are surreal. To approach the subject of memory via gameplay in a project of this size so early on in the piece is hard, because the player doesn't share the character's memories yet. If the player and character had a shared past, it would be easier to look at a lightpole in the game and have it be representative of this-one-time-something-awesome-happened-near-a-lightpole.

Another thing I didn't like about #2, and this is more annoyance than anything, is that I had to gather every cloud. I'm certainly not a completionist, especially not when my movement speed is limited.

I would go on with the analysis, but I'm out of time right now, and I think these two examples have highlighted pretty well what I think I didn't like about the game.

And I'm not trying to be so critical, really, I'd like to go over the other frames and some things I thought you did well when I can find the time.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:07:00 AM by Captain_404 » Logged
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »

Oh dear, I've had that problem a number of times myself...

I quite like the way you two have been discussing this. It's great to see a give and take conversation that is actually about the game at hand instead of proving who's right. Captain 404, I've probably already said this, but welcome to TIGSource Grin.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:05:52 PM by Sparky » Logged
Captain_404
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:32 AM »

Oh dear, I've had that problem a number of times myself...

I quite like the way you two have been discussing this. It's great to see a give and take conversation that is actually about the game at hand instead of proving who's right. Captain 404, I've probably already said this, but welcome to TIGSource Grin.

Thanks, Sparky!

Continuing on where I left off:

Frame 3: I thought this was better than the previous two, but because the last two set up the idea of abstraction as the main method of metaphor, I think it lessens this frame's effect. The game's "rules" are set up very quickly, and it's hard to know for sure with games like this what rules you're setting up early on in the game. It's hard to know how other people will play or perceive it.

However, one thing I didn't think was very clear about this frame was that it ends when the animals go offscreen, rather than when you find them. The player is only involved in the find, rather than shuffling them offscreen, so I guess it just makes more sense to me to have it end around the time the player find the last animal. Especially since they don't know they are supposed to find four, it leaves them searching for nothing until the screen changes.

Frame 4: Similar problems to 1 and 2. The lines down below don't correspond to any real world objects.

Frame 5: I've already talked about this one a bit, but just to reiterate. The action indicated that the user take by the writing would be one representative of shedding doubts. In every frame thus far, the text has indicated what the player should be doing by taking about what is happening in the character's mind, this isn't the case in frame 5. Up until this point, the rules of the game have been "do what the text says," but here it is more just experimentation until the right solution is found, which isn't especially hard since there is only one possible solution.

One thing I would have liked to have seen was more interaction between the different frames. The only things that really stay the same are the character and... well, just the character. I guess the whole thing felt a little disjointed to me (but this may more reflect my personal preference in art). For example, if you had used concrete elements to establish events in the first frame, you could then reuse those objects to portray the idea of memory in the second frame (though I suppose technically that would be a memory of a worry rather than a good time, but you understand what I'm trying to say here).

Overall, I really appreciate what you're trying to do with the work here. It's a very personal piece that feels like it has a good amount of honesty to it. I hope this has helped.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »

One thing I would have liked to have seen was more interaction between the different frames.

This makes me wonder... This isn't a suggestion for this game, but in general, what would a seamless through-composed game similar to this one be like? This game reminds me of a song or a poem in terms of the structure and the way it evokes a feeling. I'm imagining a structure where somehow, as we progress through the game, we seamlessly transition from one activity to the next without any breaks between sections.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 10:48:37 AM »

Firefox crashed for me too, on the maze level where you're walking downhill. Sad

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic