Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 01:32:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRobowarz, bot programming game (needs rename)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Robowarz, bot programming game (needs rename)  (Read 2912 times)
Burr
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:10:57 AM »

Robowarz, Alpha build 9. Illya "Burr" Moskvin

Concept:
Design and program virtual robots using an enhanced version of the Game Maker Language.
Battle your "bots" in arenas against bots other players made.
Share your bots on a website. Review and rank bots made by others.
Engage the bots in a variety of gametypes, including team games.
Program new gametypes. Design arenas. Develop your AI programming skills.
Share what you learn.

Download Alpha #9 @ Box.net

Includes EXE, Vista EXE, gm6 source, indepth readme
Requires DX9.

To do:
Get website online. ( Having permissions problems, server owner is away )
Add arena editor.

I'm looking for feedback on the ease of scripting, and what sort of advanced features you'd like to see. And of course whatever else you want to say or suggest.

Comment away!!!  Gentleman

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:09:22 PM by Burunduk » Logged

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:03:34 PM »

Whoa this looks CRAZY!  Shocked

Will post thoughts later.
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:06:03 AM »

Wow, this is really very great! I commend your ability, this is amazing!  Hand Metal Left Kiss Hand Metal Right
Burr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

My webmaster is back, and I got the right permission sets. The website is under development. It will be largely powered by AJAX, with the current design having a high content concentration. So all's well in the technical regard.

However, because this game received such a small response (though a warm one), I don't feel it worthwhile to get it a domain or site of its own. So, it will be hosted on one page. Later, I will add that page to a website among my other projects.

I will save the arenas for the final release.
Arenas are largely backdrops with obstacles and atmospheric effects. However, the arena concept can be taken much farther, and working in tandem with gametypes, full-scale maps can be developed.

Please, if you have any comments or suggestions, now would be a good time to voice them. They'd definitely make it into the game, and it will give me a good boost in morale. Tongue

shig
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:52 PM »

Well, for starters I think this really needs a new name.

Like, seriously.

That's probably the reason why few people replied. I myself saw this thread a few times and just went "eh" and didn't reply just because the title made it seem really uninteresting.
Jolli
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »

nah no one replys unless its spelunky.

you should also just play it
Burr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »

Haha, ok then. You're not the first to comment on the bad name. I have a few alternative suggestions, can I have your opinions, please?  Tongue

Automaton Arena
Mechanized Mayhem
Code Combat
Engines of Destruction
BotDev

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 04:26:09 PM »

Ooh, interesting concept! I'd love to see this go further :>

As for the name, I'd recommend something that captures the imagination a bit more. Like "Super Robot Tango" or "The Great Mechanized Brouhaha"

(Of course, these are terrible suggestions, but hopefully you get the picture.)

frekir
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 02:15:01 AM »

Seems fun but I agree about the namechange. Something fun, like a play of words. WBE, World Bot Entertainment or something.

I'm working on something simular, but it's a sportsgame where you program a team of players. And in a simular manner to Realtimebattle where you program in whatever language you want and use STDIO.

Maybe that's something to think about, that way your players don't have to learn a new language.
Biggerfish
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 03:07:13 AM »

The STDIO idea is a good one, that, or making your own scripting language that is a simplified version of GML or whatever to lower the entry barrier would help a lot.

I've had a look at this but I don't really have the motivation to make my own bot. It's a nice idea and would like to see this finished though. I may end up having a proper go to give you some real scripting feedback but not now.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic