Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411571 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:37:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMindSpace - FpPPp (pre-Demo!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: MindSpace - FpPPp (pre-Demo!)  (Read 27664 times)
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2012, 02:10:35 AM »

You're not walking, you're running as fast as you can :D
Maybe I should call it "racing game"...
Anyway, thank you for your feedback Smiley There are tons of stuff to do in player's behaviour.

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:32 AM »

There's no crouching... It's supposed to work that way: run, slide under something (or to gain speed on slope), run again.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »

From what I've played, the demo was quite fun, but the controls were a bit awkward, it felt more like I was being pushed, than it felt like I was actually running.

The visuals were gorgeous though, if enough time is spent tweaking the controls, this could end up being spectacular.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2012, 04:37:10 AM »

The demo is really awesome visually but just couldn't get it to run very well on my laptop. Really need to get a computer so I can play it properly again. But congrats on the amazing visuals, looking spectacular and really like the way builds itself at the beginning  Smiley

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2012, 04:48:41 AM »

The demo is really awesome visually

x2 =)

Удваиваю то бишь )) А есть солюшен на русском? Не очень понятно, что там делать

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2012, 05:58:10 AM »

Солюшена и на английском нету)

В общем-то, всё примитивно - добежать до определённых точек и чота сделать.
В первой зоне - дёрнуть грави (приблизился к желтому кресту, нажал лкм), шарик скатится, дёрнуть другой чтобы всё вернуть обратно, спуститься вниз чтобы открыть новые зоны.
Во второй - дёрнуть три разных грави (их там всего три) - можно просто следовать за путеводной лентой, она их все покажет.
В четвёртой (где куча балок) - следуй за путеводкой, она всё покажет. Вкратце - надо добежать до самого дальнего угла.
В шестой - долго объяснять, в принципе - следуй за путеводкой параллельно юзая всё что только можно (в том числе свитч)

Thank you all guys for your feedback, some day I'll tune physics just right :D But maybe you got different approach to game... Think of Defrag mod - it was hard to master, and then it was HELL fun!
Game physics is a bit of a challenge... Well, at least I designed it with that thought...

ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »

BTW, two things I noticed:
1) Is you music a 3D sound in the scene? Somehow it feels like it changes position, I'd rather make it a 2D sound.
2) You seem to have problems with transparent objects and the DOF post-effect. I remember circumventing this problem a year ago by adding transparent object to the depth render pass ... dunno if that would be optimal in your case, but at least some objects (like the flying thing with the trail at the beginning) could profit from that.

Regards,
overhead

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »

1. Yes, it's a 3d sound. It helps you to navigate through scene Smiley
2. Could you PM me details? It would be quite useful...

CodingCat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »

So I gave this 30 minutes and I have to say, the graphics are sweet. I accidentally came upon your shots following overhead's Tri 2 thread, so I thought I'd give this a try. And actually, it looks even better when explored in motion ...

Talking of motion, the controls are worse than awful. This 'thing' really is pretty much uncontrollable, stuttering into motion whenever I command it to start walking, refusing to jump in 9 out of 10 cases. The player feels too big, way too sluggish, and with the camera coming to abrupt halts periodically, walking feels just broken. In the end, I defaulted to accelerating into the void, grabbing whatever I could get hold of.

Talking of grabbing, I love that feature. One of the things that already seem to work quite well, it really makes the gameplay much more fun & surreal.

So keep that gorgeous art style, improve on the controls, and this might become an awesome game. I know that it's rather hard to make character controllers behave right in such strongly physical environments, especially regarding robust grounded checking and with it reliable jumping mechanics. Curiously enough, I already released two gameplay prototypes myself that went into a similar direction of gameplay, and also got me accused of unpredictable behavior and sluggish controls. This really is an important subject, as eventually, it will decide if people find your game fun to play or if they just dump it as unplayable. Try to get this right early, as it will also heavily impact the way you have to build your levels (jump distances!), don't get yourself into the position of having to rebuild everything over again once you start tuning the controls.

You might also want to take care that the player does not get lost too easily. The demo level already seems quite huge and I love that, however, I really have no clue where I am meant to go and what I am meant to do, so currently, this is a solely explorational experience, sadly disturbed by rather unpleasent and unfluent motion.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:37:38 PM by CodingCat » Logged

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »

Thank you a lot for your feedback Smiley
Yeah, I might agree - controls need a lot of work and tune and love and stuff like that. I promise you to do my best to improve them (had an idea of using raycast instead of direct collision detection, it could work way better)

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »

I'm a little confused about the world rotation mechanism.  I got to one of the yellow rotation items but I don't understand what determines which way the world will rotate.  Am I supposed to be able to rotate the world when I'm not next to a rotation item?  I fell off the world and after respawning I could rotate the world with left-click regardless of where in the world I was and it still seemed to be random.  It'd be nice to have more of an introduction to the controls and elements in the environment.  At one point I seemed to be trapped in a block of fog which I then apparently swam through and seemed to be boosted out of when I left, it was very confusing.

I agree with the past comments about the feel of movement and the controls.  The crouch mechanism is pretty tough to use.  Eventually I understood that I had to tap it while I was moving before I got to the obstacle to get under but I was confused at first because holding it seems to make me quickly toggle back and forth between crouched and uncrouched.  I'm still confused about left-clicking.  It seems that left-clicking near a wall while I'm in the air kicks me back away from the wall.

That said, the game is beautiful.  I'd really like to get more into it but the controls completely break immersion for me.

I need you to watch

.  It's a brief video essay on movement and control in games and how it effect immersion.  I'm hoping there's not too much of a language barrier.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:04:36 PM by oyog » Logged
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »

Am I supposed to be able to rotate the world when I'm not next to a rotation item?  I fell off the world and after respawning I could rotate the world with left-click regardless of where in the world I was and it still seemed to be random.
No... It could be:
1. Bug (although I thought I fixed that)
2. "Lazy" trick, performed "on the floor". Did you looked down while left-clicking?

I think I'll change "lazy" activation mechanism to one similar to mirror's edge one.

So, the news!
Did:
Nothing.
Well, not exactly "nothing" - I increased a bit air control multiplier and highly stretched left-right step pushes.
Doing right now:
Replacing "two colliders" player with "collider + spherecast". It will give me more control on player's movement and will make walking much smoother. It also could flush away all lazy/runflow distortion issues. I mean, ALL of them. Twilight solutions, uh-huh :D

Here's what current collision model looks like: Ninja

(small sphere in camera position is just a trigger, used to enable blur when camera intersects respawn model)
See what I did there?  Epileptic
Sphere for "legs", capsule for "body". Now I'm going to get rid of that sphere and replace that with sphere cast. It will allow player to step smooth, jump on small obstacles and then I could detect that and autoperform "lazy" trick. Splendid! It's just a shame I didn't came to that setup earlier Sad

Other big improovement planned - cam's roll rotation while... While pretty much any action. Just look at gorgeous mirror's edge videos - so fluid because of roll rotation.

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »

Hi again Smiley
Shifting to new "raycast-based" behaviour is almost done. Of course I faced some problems (like adding walkaround for features that were glued to collider, crutches of all kind, basically Corny Laugh), but mostly transition is done. Cool

Actually, I'm very pleased with the result - now I can have whatever friction formulas I want (exponential is my favorite by now - calm and smooth), I got smooth (like on moss) steps, working everywhere! And that's a wonderful thing. Not so wonderful thing is the fact that it broke wallrun detection Shrug. Completely Sad. But nevermind, I'll fix that few seconds later. I'm all "crack-then-fix-that" guy today Big Laff

I think I'll spent some time tuning physical model now, then do auto-lazy and kill everything that hasn't been killed previous time with a new demo. There's no point to hold it, I think - if controls will be good, I got to know that. If they'll turn out to be hideous this time again - I got to know that too...

BTW, I could make a "how it works" image with vectors and math stuff, if there are more than 1 man interested. How about that? Ninja

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »

Is this still being developed?
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »

Is this still being developed?
Yes it is! I had some break, and then LD was, but yes, yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-one-million-times-more-yes, it is developed, still.

Shifting to new "raycast-based" behaviour is almost done.
Now done completely! Some another compo helped me to finish that bit, now I'm unhappy with "lazy" trick - it needs rework, and when it's done - I'll threw a new demo right in your face! :D

Stay tuned. Or not... I will still love you.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »

...it is developed, still.

Huzzah!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »

Good to hear.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »

I can't wait to see more updates.
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »

Hi there... I'm REALLY not sure where this is gonna take the game, but I think I just managed to did something RIGHT:

Opinions?
And I just realized recently that game needs few tiny bugfixes, A LOT of fixing level design (making it more "spacious") and just one feature to be done - and that's it. I got complete solid gameplay.
Can't wait to show you demo Tired

Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2012, 03:26:52 PM »

Let's spice it a bit Shrug ?

A NOTE OF WARNING: Hostile game design!
Non idiot-proof JUNE playtest.

It isn't any kind of demo, just raw playground. Try to survive as long as you can Wink
Yes, physics needs tuning. Again, because I decided that removing air friction is a good idea  No No NO
Controls are pretty mush same as usual: WASD, mouse, spacebar, E for color switch and Ctrl for crouching/sliding. LMB to activate, RMB to grab (hold it!)

Known bugs:
- if gravy was activated during "lazy" trick - your body will stuck in wrong position;
- you could also stuck being "glued" to wall (during wallrun) - just aim and hit space (make walljump).

Soooo, what I'm looking for? General physics feeling - fun/nightmare? (because I do believe there're no other options Cheesy)
How hostile level design is? (well, I'm asking just for fun, not sure if I'll make descent changes to it)
And finally - ideas on tuning physics right? Should I make friction bigger, or just slow player down, should I change jump height? (wallruns and walljumps are something self-containing, I'll tune them so they just work)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic