Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:37:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat makes a great superhero game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What makes a great superhero game?  (Read 2726 times)
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »

The subject says it all... almost: assume the game is not based on existing IP/superheros.  What would a dream superhero game include, exclude, or otherwise be like?
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »

If you have ever played Spiderman 2 thats it for me.

I want to be able to actually patrol a living city and stop crimes in progress.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »

If I were to add on top of that, I'd say greater variety in possible crimes- different types of crimes apart from muggings and car chases would be nice, as well as more interesting events like bank robberies or even supervillains wreaking havoc.

One major reason Spider-Man 2 seems to be the go-to title for superhero games is the movement. Above all else, webslinging around the city is a joy. Yes, at first, it's a little complicated and strange, but that's part of the fun. After mastering the basics, you can get faster at slinging and become able to pull off all kinds of cool tricks like slingshotting. The game even keeps track of the farthest distance you've fallen; that's a great incentive to leap off of the tallest building in New York and try and break your record without becoming a Spider-Pancake.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »

not to mention people acknowledging you. if I saw a super hero I would be like "OH MAN IT'S SUPER-BLANK".

but I think it all comes down to recreating the superhero experience, tooling around, saving civilians, punching bad guys in a city.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »

and a max of customisation

edit also the ultimate super hero game?

interactive and reactive world
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:14:50 PM by Gimmy TILBERT » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »

imma let you speak but batman for the nes is the best superhero game of all time

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »

I think Spider-Man 2 was the best because there was so much to do outside of the main missions, just webbing around and stopping petty crime made you feel as if you were actually a super-hero. I also thought Arkham Asylum was a great game but Spider-Man 2 will always have a place in my heart.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 12:02:17 AM »

1. Sense of unique mobility.

Regardless of how they fight their villains, one thing that makes superheroes more different than "ordinary heroes" than anything often comes in their forms of transportation. Spider-Man web-swings. Ghost Rider has a burning undead bike. Iceman makes frozen slip'n'slides in the air. Hulk makes spectacular leaps. And who can count the number of them that fly? The only time I see superheroes take the bus is when they have a date, and lack an M1 license.

2. Self-versus-others strife.

This is a vital, and often overlooked aspect of heroism in general, and perhaps one that is mismanaged by comics, too. Heroes -always- have to make a choice. Some kind of choice between what's good for them, and what's good for others. And in the few senses where it does happen, choosing "for yourself" is nearly ALWAYS punished.

Perhaps, there are good people worth sticking up for in the world, and there are scummy ones that don't deserve an easy out of the consequences they get themselves into. But that's never the message. Total selflessness is usually always preached. But that is unhealthy, as a person that takes better care of themself is in better capability of helping others. Sometimes "taking the cake" really IS the right thing to do. However you decide to work it though; the self-versus-others strife is always a key ingredient.

3. Sense of importance and theme.

Clearly you aren't just out there fighting. Nobody does that. There's always something and somebody you're fighting FOR, and a good supportive, memorable cast is critical to this end. These tend to stem from two sources, human relationships, and "power" relationships. For instance, most of Spidey's allies are those with personal ties, and generally all of his villains have the "animal" theme going about them - although there are always a couple of each that cross or blur between the lines. Captain America's enemies have nationalism or anarchism themes to them. Iron Man's is about competing technologies, and so forth.

4. Life beyond the costume?

Clearly this one is a toughie. Few developers have ever even tried an "outside the costume" form of gameplay, and far as I can tell, none have succeeded. This sort of ties in with #3, and often is the kind of thing that leads plots into existence. Let's use the Spidey example. He's a Daily Bugle photographer, so he gets dispatched to an event, and naturally, the event reeks of typical Supervillain Hijacking. He has a date, he's late to a date because he stopped to save people along the way, date goes fumbly for a bit, and what comes next? Natrually! Another Supervillain Hijacking.

Think about that, for a moment. The only reason Spider-Man stories even begin is because Peter Parker is trying to live a relatively normal life. Do his job. Get the girl. Protect his people. Same holds true to just about every other non-venegance-driven character; and even those eventually lean that way a bit, even if they tend to remain loners for the most part.

This part of a good game can ALSO serve as the rewards center, in having more places to gain resources or recover. But with this greater power comes the greater responsibility of appreciating and protecting it.

5. Variety of scenarios.

This kind of ties into the "variety of crimes" bit, but also into action styles. Take on a crowd of flunkies. Do a dramatic chase scene full of obstacles. Face off against a crazy-powered maniac with a personal weakness that your abilities allow you to use. Or the occasional team-up between two of them, or it's equally-compelling counterpart, the typical "enemy of thy enemy" twist. Another crippler is the idea that every Supervillain Takedown is naturally about beating a boss to a pulp, or systematically depowering them, or both. But what if your mission is a simple rescue? Retrieval of a couple of things. Maybe intel. Not *every* encounter has to be about "busting" the enemy, that's what things should naturally build up to.

6. Sense of victory/defeat.

Here's another place where a lot of games drop the ball. In comics, movies, and TV shows, a heroic defeat is a daily occurance. They don't get "Game Over'd" after they're trashed. Sure, they suffer some scrapes and a bruised ego, along with some interpersonal consequences (like the late-for-the-date thing), but they get to keep going either way, win or lose. In fact, it's often a vital step in being ultimately victorious, even.

Games have failed to catch this vibe. They're so "identified" as video games that like most levels of one, you do them again and again until you get it right. And while it makes for a "true videogame experience," it makes for an "untrue superhero experience" in exchange. Where honestly... it doesn't really have to!

Likewise, there should be a sense of reward for accomplishing stuff when you do. Even some well-planned, humorous dialogue can be a reward all it's own, some kind of fun and delightful stimulation, or some heroic bridge-building works good, too.

turgoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »

So making a super hero game is generally the same as making any other kind of game. Generally it is focused on the purpose of what the character does/is. Having good mechanics, presentation, and a character/universe which strikes home for the population you are marketing to.

But the most important part is actually owning your character IP or working with the IP creator directly like liquid mentioned in the premise of the post. Baconman mentioned a lot of points where current comic games drop the ball, I can tell you that in a lot of cases its because a executive or a marketing branch says "the character wouldn't do that" or "The character can't die" or "he doesn't feel that powerful". Or for instance "the movie does it this way so we are doing it too" or other character support types.

It's kinda the Superman equation. Invincibility means you can't kill him and many superman games had difficulty dealing with that in the traditional model (although some recent ones have done a good job tackling it). 

Ken Bowen | Game Designer | www.thegame-pad.com
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

has no one mentioned Batman: Arkham Asylum yet? I only bring it up because I feel it does a good job of making you feel like batman, and a bad ass. its not a button mashy thing, you are pressing buttons at precise times to take down foes. I think that combat should make you feel like a superhero especially if you are a veteran one.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »

I'd love to throw a more oddball game into the discussion, and that's Rent-A-Hero. The games have only been released in Japan, which is a damn shame, because they have a pretty clever set-up. The game sets you up with a super-powered costume and sends you off to perform odd jobs to raise money and your credibility. You start off by saving cats in trees and beating up muggers, eventually getting the call to help save a burning orphanage or something more dramatic. A modern version of this would be fantastic- hell, No More Heroes is practically the darkside version of this.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »

I once made up my own superhero:

He is...JUST AWESOME in my immaginings. He is totally against wallstreet and he is an indie developer. :3

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »

biceps.

actually, for the Superman example, I haven't played any but are there games where it isn't about Superman, but more about what you are going to do to save things? Almost like action-puzzles situations.   I also think villains are pretty important in superhero games, more so than the superhero.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »

an overpowered main character. most vidgam characters already have superhuman abilities so to appropriately convey the feeling of playing as a superhero you have to go beyond that and make the protagonist a super-superhuman, crank the superhumanity up to 11 so to speak.
Theophilus
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »

I like open-world superhero games, going around and beating up bad guys.

This is one genre where I think customization definitely adds a ton to the game. The only superhero game with this that comes to mind is City of Heroes. Setting up your superhero, with his own powers, that's just awesome.
shig
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »

its just the theme. make it a good game. the main character has a cape tho
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »

Thanks everyone for this awesome list.  I've taken careful notes, and intend to put them to good use in my next project.  I'll definitely be looking for more feedback around here as things begin to take shape.  Thanks!
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »

Read a good article over at TheGameProdigy, where the author talks about making an insane character in a based world. Found it really sweet. I believe its the balances you give the hero but how they overcome what simple entities cannot. I also remember reading a Gamasutra article about how invisible walls can be a pain in the ass & can logical make no sense..I find this super important, how can you limit a superhero in such a lazy way.

I believe setting up boundaries & creating laws is crucial. Paying attention to what super-cool powers to give your superhero yet being mindful on how it affects the environment & limiting the "unlimited". But more importantly, creating a box where the
player can unleash torment with good balance.

Its more of how the environment plays with the features the hero has than what the player wants to do with them.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »

To have a superhero with at least one ability, but can use it with complete freedom.

Example:

• Ability: Energy Generator
  • Ways to use it: Energy balls (or rays, bursts, explosions, etc...), physical boost, energy shields, healing, energy manipulation (like a whip, rope, prism, drill, etc), a heater! Cheesy, a battery! Cheesy and more. A lot more... Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic