Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:58:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHack, Slash, Loot
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: Hack, Slash, Loot  (Read 53123 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2011, 03:58:10 AM »

I drew a thing.

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2011, 07:03:39 AM »

nice thing! is it going to be the title screen?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »

Awesome drawing  Smiley

stef1a
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:37 PM »

Awwuwuuuuduuuuughhh.  Epileptic

This is awesome! Makes me want to revive my old roguelike. Thank you for the inspiration!
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »

I drew a thing.

Cool, but I'd prefer pixel art!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2011, 05:01:19 AM »

You can play the game for that.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

Remember that thing I drew a few posts up? Well it was rubbish so I asked twobitart to draw me a better thing. I think she succeeded.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »

Niiiiiicee!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »

Really like the new drawing but think I still like the simpleness of the earlier version.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »

Wow, awesome drawing!

Conker534
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2012, 10:18:50 AM »

Badass.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:54 AM »

As this DevLog slowly creeps up to being one year old I'm glad to announce that Hack, Slash, Loot is now finished. You can try it out here. Now comes the hard task of trying to get as many people as possible to play it.

Caran Elmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »

Congrats! Beer!

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »

As this DevLog slowly creeps up to being one year old I'm glad to announce that Hack, Slash, Loot is now finished. You can try it out here. Now comes the hard task of trying to get as many people as possible to play it.

Please buy it multiple times.  I want to continue making music for this man's games.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:41 AM »

Congrats on finishing, looking forward to playing it!  Beer!

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »

Congratulations, amazing game, ill have to buy this one real soon.  Beer!

Chris Pavia
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »

Can't wait to try this when I get home from work!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »

Thanks to whoever stickied this thread, I appreciate it. The response so far has been generally positive. I've been dreading someone finding a show stopping bug that somehow got past all the testing. So far it hasn't happened.

Please buy it multiple times.  I want to continue making music for this man's games.
Yes, buy multiple copies each so I can work with KomradeJack again. Beer!

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »

Bought, and it will be interesting to see if the issues I had with the UI has been reworked...

Pretty much liveblogging my first impressions:

* Soundtrack caught me off guard... I was expecting chip music from the look of the game...
* Accidentally pressed shift which revealed keyboard shortcuts... very nice.
* Argh, first UI issue within 2 seconds: Point mouse cursor at door, can't activate... again, the reason is that I need to point at the bottom half of the door since it's (very) pseudo 3D... not good and closed doors should be an exception, imo. EDIT: Ok, I see the problem when the floor behind the door is visible, but how often do you want to move to the square behind the door without opening it next? I mean, the constant tool-tips would warm about what would happen anyway... but perhaps a better solution would be to have a special case for doors which don't have the room visible behind them yet. I mean, there is no such problem with doors which are drawn from the side, so it's still a case of inconsistent UI behavior.
* All monsters seem to hover up and down... I get that it's an easy way of making them pop, but this is a rogue-like of sorts... makes me wonder how an actual levitation animation looks?
* HP is just a number... it looks like there should be room for a small life bar to the right of it, which I think wouldn't be out of place in this UI, and would increase accessibility and readability. EDIT: Ok, after playing I while I get why there is no bar... however, there could be one, if you calculate percentages from where the last "maximum" HP was 100%... still think that could work.
* The sound effect of an opening door suddenly played and a room became visible... if I would have had sound off, this would have been confusing as there is no flavor text for it (ie. "monsters breaking down the door" or something).
* I'm really missing a 3x size of the window... the step between 2x and fullscreen is way to large.
* The space bar seemingly does nothing? I would have expected it to at least to a "skip go" action (which is what I would have liked).
* Ok, major UI gripe still present: An item drops. I hover the cursor over the item, it just says "move". I click on it to move, and A) my cursor is no longer hovering above the item, which means that the tooltip is gone and worse B) without moving my cursor even the item is gone! Major, major UI break, imo. Also, very costly if you do a keystroke analysis on the action sequence you need to perform in order to just move and pick up an item. This hasn't been fixed and I'm very disappointed. Sad I mean, it's so easily solvable by adding a move-and-pick-up command.
* Fullscreen is not OS X Lion mission control compatible.
* Also, fullscreen isn't really fullscreen as there are huge, blue borders (at least in OS X). Imo, you really should scale up the graphics by any means in order to full the entire screen in fullscreen mode, or just skip that mode entirely.

EDIT: I'm still updating, but in case people are wondering why I'm nitpicking on the UI... that's part of my professional job, AND this is after all a rogue-like which is designed to have the ease of access UI as one of its strongest selling points... Smiley

OK, that's it for today. I had fun, and there seems to be more scenarios, and I bet more monsters and items and other variations to provide lasting value, but nearly no improvement in UI since the earlier demos which is a hurdle, I think.

Also, I had to stop because my eyes hurt from squinting so much. 3x, 4x scaler and fullscreen scaler is simply a must, and again, the game should be intelligent about it (if, for example, 4x scaler doesn't fit the current resolution).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:45:23 PM by eobet » Logged

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »

* I'm really missing a 3x size of the window... the step between 2x and fullscreen is way to large.
If 3x would fit on your desktop then you would get a 3x before fullscreen. On my set up I get all the way up to 5x before it goes fullscreen.

* The space bar seemingly does nothing? I would have expected it to at least to a "skip go" action (which is what I would have liked).
Spacebar is accept. The period is skip go because that is apparently the roguelike standard.

* Ok, major UI gripe still present: An item drops. I hover the cursor over the item, it just says "move". I click on it to move, and A) my cursor is no longer hovering above the item, which means that the tooltip is gone and worse B) without moving my cursor even the item is gone! Major, major UI break, imo. Also, very costly if you do a keystroke analysis on the action sequence you need to perform in order to just move and pick up an item. This hasn't been fixed and I'm very disappointed.  I mean, it's so easily solvable by adding a move-and-pick-up command.
I don't really understand the issue you are getting at here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic