Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 02:22:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Gish
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Gish  (Read 35798 times)
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:22 AM »

Just FYI, Kirby's actually supposed to be about two inches tall or so.

As far as I'm concerned, just make Gish as big as is appropriate.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2009, 08:09:58 AM »

8 inches.

So in SSB, Kirby is quite a bit larger than in his games. But he's still among the lightest characters.

falsion
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »

In SSB, the characters are not given their appropriate heights. Like Pikachu for example, in the cartoon, manga and games he only comes up to about the height of his trainer's ankle. Yet, in SSB he's about as big as everyone else.

I think the reason they do that is so that the characters are still readable and can actually be hit rather than having an unfair size advantage.

The Marvel Vs. series does this in some occasions too. Like Sentinel for example, while in X-Men it's a giant robot, but in the game it's about the same height as a human being.

Which is part of the reason I think Gish being the way he is now is fine, especially after Imp's edit. But if you really want to, maybe make it a bit smaller, but only a bit. But don't make him tiny.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »

Just FYI, Kirby's actually supposed to be about two inches tall or so.

As far as I'm concerned, just make Gish as big as is appropriate.
Captain Olimar's only a few inches tall too and he's just as big as Kirby in brawl!
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »

In SSB, the characters are not given their appropriate heights. Like Pikachu for example, in the cartoon, manga and games he only comes up to about the height of his trainer's ankle. Yet, in SSB he's about as big as everyone else.
Right. Characters need to be within a certain size range for the combat to be fair. In Indie Brawl, they should be between about 32 and 64 pixels tall.

But if the character is normally very small, they should be more towards the bottom of this range. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle and Kirby are both much larger in SSB than they are in their respective games, but they're still the smallest characters in the game (after G&W, who only has 2 dimensions.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »

Also, all those characters are lightweight characters.
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2009, 06:07:58 PM »

8 inches.
Cool
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »

Wow can't believe I didn't catch that. Corny Laugh

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »

so boyd what are you doing?

nothing just on tigsource did you know they still haven't decided on a sprite for gish after 4 pages?

whoa man

i know

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »

Alright so, here's a size comparison to Nikujin.

I think the smallest one is a fine size, that'll do really, any smaller and he'll look dumb.
He needs to have his eyes moved a little, and be given a mouth, then he's fine I think.
falsion
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2009, 11:04:20 PM »

Alright, now that size looks perfect to me. And it satisfies the proportions of Gish being just about half the size of a human being as Soulliard mentioned before.

I say "just about" since note that in the screenshot Soulliard posted, Gish is ducking and sprawled about over the floor. This looks like the perfect size/height for how Gish would look standing upright. Any smaller would be overkill.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:22:14 PM by falsion » Logged
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »

On a completely unrelated note.

Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30SMB Castle Flag
Pixel 30Pixel 30SMB Castle Battlements 2SMB Castle Battlements 2SMB Castle Battlements 2SMB Castle Battlements 2SMB Castle Battlements 2
Pixel 30Pixel 30SMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB Brick
Pixel 30SMB Castle Battlements 2SMB Castle Battlements 1SMB Castle Battlements 1SMB Castle Battlements 1SMB Castle Battlements 1SMB Castle Battlements 1SMB Castle Battlements 2
Pixel 30SMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB Brick
Pixel 30SMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB Brick
SMB MarioSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB Castle DoorSMB BrickSMB BrickSMB Brick
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »

Edit:

falsion
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »

He doesn't always have teeth, especially not when standing idle. They only appear whenever he needs to use them. Otherwise his mouth is just solid black. Look at screenshots of the game and you'll notice that most of the time, his mouth is closed.

I liked the shape of the previous edit, he should be more like a ball, not completely like a half sphere shape. But I see where you're going with that (as I look back at screenshots of the game and seeing he's always somewhat squashed against the floor).

I also liked the previous shape of the eyes. They don't look right tilted like that. In the game, they pretty much always stay at the same angle. They also seem too close together now. He now seems to be looking at the screen rather than facing left.

That white rim highlight looks good though, and is how Gish is shaded in his original artwork. That's definitely how it ought to look like.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 03:55:04 PM »

maybe his teeth can appear when he attacks
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »

maybe his teeth can appear when he attacks
That's what the previous post was implying. Ninja
falsion
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »

Yes, of coarse.
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »

HE LOOKS LIKE A PACMAN GHOST D:
Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2010, 01:40:34 PM »

Is this still relevant, or has it been completed elsewhere? Smiley

It's worth noting that there's some differences between Gish's appearance in-game and in the illustrations. In the illos, stationary Gish forms a dome-like shape with the ground edges squared off, and his mouth is visible (with projecting fangs) when closed. In the game, he's more-or-less rounded at all times, and his mouth disappears when closed.

Speaking of, in the game his mouth is closed when he's sitting or rolling, and grinning/grimacing/screaming when he's jumping/heavy/taking damage. His eyes close and vanish when he takes damage as well. Nothing surprising here, but I thought it would be good to call out. Smiley

In Boyd's image, I like the colors in the last two sprites best, but prefer the eye shape in the first one. Gish's eyes are sort of slitty and turned, looking vaguely angry or sinister.

Also, I'm a fan of him throwing a block rather than a tarball, just because that's something he actually does in his game. It's always good to incorporate in-game stuff where practical.
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »

I started working on the gish walking sprite, And here's what I've got:

This is a very very very very very very rough draft as I don't have that much time, so it is not that good. But, I think it's a semi-decent start.

Edit:
Edited it a bit still not good:

I'm not really good at animating so I'm just gonna stop working on this one. Shrug
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:41:13 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic