Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:34:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1965434 times)
Robert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: March 05, 2008, 02:59:31 PM »

Always good to hear about other NZ game programmers :D and working with Sidhe is pretty impressive..

Your site doesn't give away too much information... whereabouts in NZ are you?

Why hello there, someone else hailing from our fair shores! We're based in Wellington - isn't that on the site, under company->contact? Anyway, been in Wellington all my life, traveled around the place a bit but saw no good reason to move. Tongue
kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2008, 01:45:28 AM »

Hi there, I'm kev, I've been attempting to develop indie games for quite some years. You can find examples of my shambling attempts over at Coke and Code along with a rambling and often ranting blog, some tutorial stuff and links to various bits of reusable code.

In the main I work in Java (both for the day job and the real stuff), but I've written games in Flash, C/C++ and ASM back in the day.

I'm trying to get some advice here by asking hopefully pertenent questions about indie games business and designing games to sell.

Obligatory moments in game dev so far:

Kev

Toby
« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2008, 05:54:49 AM »

Hi everybody,

I'm Toby and I'm 18. This is a picture of me with Prince John:

I've been trying to make computer games for years and years now, and yet I don't really have anything much to show for it.

This is partly due to the fact that I am very alone when I game-make (none of my friends are interested in it) and it's so much easier for a project to die when nobody but yourself ever cared about it.
I like that added discipline, creativity and assurance that you get from working with others, but finding these others can be hard.

So I thought it might be a good idea to join these forums (I've been reading the blog for quite a while) and meet folk that like this game making too.

These are my favourite games:

(I'm a big fan of Derek)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 06, 2008, 07:08:53 AM »

Velkommen! to the forums everyone Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »

yes.

up down left right upper cut.
mrhollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »

So I thought it might be a good idea to join these forums (I've been reading the blog for quite a while) and meet folk that like this game making too.

Nice to meet you Toby. What kind part of making games are you interested in? Dev, Art, Design?

"You should presently be able to deal from a full deck." - fortune cookie
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 06, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »

Hi there, I'm kev, I've been attempting to develop indie games for quite some years. You can find examples of my shambling attempts over at Coke and Code along with a rambling and often ranting blog, some tutorial stuff and links to various bits of reusable code.

Ha awesome, I use your slick for programming at the moment.  Was using c++/sdl but then having to use c++ at school I wanted something different for when I was just doing stuff for fun.  I like it a lot.  I'm dustin on the slick forums as well...
Toby
« Reply #507 on: March 06, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »

Nice to meet you Toby. What kind part of making games are you interested in? Dev, Art, Design?

Hey there Aaron, I like most parts really, but I guess if I had a forte it would be the art.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: March 06, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »

Hi everyone, I thought I'd introduce myself, as I'm new to the forums.

My name's Jasper, and I'm a hobbyist game writer!

I've been reading the site for a long time, it always gives me a giggle, and made me realise that there are other people out there like me who always loved the idea of small or one-man teams, creativity and gameplay above all.

I published a couple of games back in about '94 / '95 on the Amiga computer in the UK.  They were licenseware titles (sora between shareware and commercial, towards the end of the Amiga's life).  One of them was a point'n'click ala Monkey Island called Keith's Quest.  It was on 4 whole disks and did quite well in reviews, getting 85% in Amiga Format.  I made it with a mate called Caspar, who did the art.  I also did a coverdisk for AF which was called Jet Set Willy 3 (an unofficial sequel.)  Both of these are are there on the net if you have a search.

I did a degree in CS then dropped out in my final year to become a drum and bass DJ and have been doing that ever since, living in Japan for quite a while.  Games have always been my passion, particularly Japanese ones, and I was lucky enough to meet some of the movers and shakers over there.

But I'm hoping to move this year into the games industry and I've been doing a lot of research and revision, working on demos and so on, learning new things such as OpenGL.  I'm hoping to get a job for a couple of years in the industry and when I have a little experience and cash to start an indie!

Nice to meet you.   Smiley

detergent
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 07, 2008, 02:48:26 AM »

Hello gentlemen.  Grin

I heard you were needing more hot guyz on this site, so here I am!

I'm Magnus- and I herd u like mudkips will be joining your VGNG competition.
 Cool

Later, dudes...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:05:28 AM by detergent » Logged
JaxMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 07, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »

Hello all, I've been reading the site for a while and figured I should actually join the forums.

I'm John, and I make games (or at least attempt to) between classes and work.  I'm finishing up my CS degree so times a bit tight, but I've had a little time lately to work on games.

I'm also here for the VGNG competition to bring you:
Corporate Moped Horde

Later
-John
Kianis
Level 0

self-portrait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: March 07, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »

Hello everyone!
My name is Kian, I'm 20 years old and I live in Sweden. (Another swede!)

I'm very much into drawing, I've started going to kroki-sessions (figure drawing)
and it's a lot of fun. This is something I drew the other day in a moment of inspiration.

I have been programming since I was a kid, mostly flash, but it's
not until recently that I've become interested in game design.
(There's a few silly games on my website -- mazapan.se)
I'm studying Computer Game Development in Stockholm
and I hope to work in the gaming industry someday.

Obviously I'm into indiegames. I've been lurking
the TIGSource blog for ages, so if it's been featured
there I've probably played it. My favorite game as of
right now is Psychosomnium.

At the moment I'm working on my entry for the Swedish Game Awards.
It's a mobile game, no screenshots yet, sorry.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:47:31 PM by Kianis » Logged

Dormouse
Level 0

Let's roll around in candies, shall we?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »

Hello everyone!

I'm 21. I'm Polish. My real name is Kate (Kasia in Polish), but a guy I knew once told me I look like a dormouse. Guess he had a point there, because suprisingly the nickname stuck. Even my dear boyfriend calls me Dormouse (well, more precisely: Koszatka, which is the Polish word for dormouse). And I'm not writing here about my boyfriend out of sheer exhibitionistic joy, but simply because you might know him. He goes by the nick TeeGee and is the author of "Magi".

To tell you the truth, I don't really like to play computer games. Maybe except "Solitary" :D. Oh, and the Monkey Island series. And of course "Heroes of Might & Magic" (but I guess every chich went through the HoMM phase). On the other hand (and I know this'll sound a bit creepy Tongue), I love watching other people play. That probably has something to do with growing up with a computer-obsessed brother Smiley.

My main interests are: art and linguistics. I draw and paint (I prefer traditional media), make jewellery and even dabble a bit in sewing. You can see my drawings in the "Magi" intro, I also did some conceptual work for the characters. There'll be a lot more in TeeGee's next project, so stay tuned :D. As for the languages, I had the pleasure of learning like, erm, nine foreign languages in my long and boring life, which sadly only resulted in fully (?) mastering English. Right now I'm studying Sanskrit and Bengali at Warsaw University (but I suck at Bengali. Come to think of it, I suck at Sanskrit too, but that's only natural). My current obsession is Spanish. I hope to be fluent in it sometime in the future Smiley.

Hope I didn't bore you to death with the longish post. I'm leaving you with the obligatory "kinda cool, kinda artistic photo, from which you can't really say how the person looks like". Picture taken by TeeGee himself. And yes, I actually have both arms, thank you Wink.

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: March 08, 2008, 02:47:21 PM »

I'm Necromian, real name Justin. I'm a Canadian Asian Jew, which I bet about 80 percent of you already realized that it can be shortened to 'cashew'.
I'm a GM whore - and the thought of using another development engine makes me want to rip out my own eyes and sodomize a small defenseless kitten with them.   Wink

From time to time I completely destroy my social life by binge programming (among other binges) and in the last couple months I've made about 10 programs. If you care, you can see them on my website where I dump all of my completed GM programs - www.Nfyre.com

Some of my favorite mainstream games are probably from the tales series, such as Tales of symphonia. My favorite indie games have probably got to be the Chzo Mythos by Yatzee, and the Fedora Spade series by Rinkuhero

Here's some obligatory screenshots of some of my junk that I feel is worth mentioning:

My most recent program called the mezmosphere, it makes some pretty cool spherical effects:

Sig maker, which is an old program but one of my favorites:

(Yes, rednatsnitusj IS me, it's my email name)

My random sentence generator, which unintentionally comes up with some pretty pollitically incorrect phrases (Ex: The dark woman sucked obediently)

And finally my first real game - grid defender (Which got staff picked at www.yoyogames.com I'm not sure if that really counts for much, but I figured I'd mention it anyways)

(if you're wondering why the FPS is at 15, it's because I was on linnucks using crossover. MASSIVE lag)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:55:56 PM by necromian » Logged
Corpus
« Reply #514 on: March 09, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »

I'm very much into drawing, I've started going to kroki-sessions (figure drawing)
and it's a lot of fun. This is something I drew the other day in a moment of inspiration.
Well, you're just too damn crazy for words.

Benvenuto a tutti, since we're doing the languages thing.

Dormouse, do you have any links to examples of your art? Which 9 languages do you know?

necromian, your pattern generator looks awesome Kiss
Gnarf
« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »

So hi.

MynameisJonas. I'm 22 years old and I'm a student, studying things. Computer science things. I live in a building. Outside, sometimes there are squirrels and more often various kinds of birds. Sometimes dogs also but they are usually being walked by humans. The squirrels tend to be in the trees rather than on ground. When I grow up I want to have a Scottish terrier and a pygmy goat.

I sort of joined here to see if entering some competition might force me to keep making the same thing for several hours. Maybe even keep making it until it's done. And also because said competition is brilliant.

I'll be lurking about some, I suppose.
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: March 09, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »

Heya, my name is Gary.  I do research at a University, but as research staff--I graduated from College long ago.  I've read TIGSource for a long time, but the VGNG competition seemed just too awesome to pass up.  I figured I should post here before dumping a thread in the competition forum.

I wrote some cheesy video games back in the TRS-80 days, but spent more time playing the Ultima games than writing any of my own.  Once 3D graphics rolled around, I contributed to some open-source projects, specifically Crystal Space and The Nebula Device.  Working on these projects really helped me learn the concepts and methods used in 3D games.  I suppose the part of game development that I find interesting is trying to solve the math problems that go on behind the scenes.  In the meantime, I neglect boring things like "art" and "gameplay"  Embarrassed

At the moment I usually use XNA so I can run stuff on my XBox, although I've done C++ in the past and will probably have to use it again in the future.  I love the garbage collection and rapid compile/run cycle in XNA Game Studio, though.  Some demos I threw together...

Super Intertron Deathmaster, where I learned how to draw sprites:

No Cows, using rigid-body physics, particle systems, and all sorts of other crap that was mostly broken:

As you can see, my art-fu is weak.  Sad  It works well enough for prototyping, but someday I'll need to find a good artist or improve my drawing skills.  I'll be over in the VGNG forum posting about my entry, "Unstoppable Dwarf - Hot Pursuit".

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »

I like all of these new people, they are goodcool people it seems like.
Except...
No Cows,
This is terrible!
Yes Cow,!

Anyway, welcome everyone.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
PowRTocH
« Reply #518 on: March 09, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »

Cry
Mr. Mr.
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2008, 02:18:23 AM »

Me name's Jimmy, and I'm desperately trying to claw myself out of the hole that is my major. I just...I just can't be a civil engineer. I can't.

Perhaps making indie games will provide a way out!

I'm interested in games from an art and design perspective, although I'm picking up code as I go. Interactive fiction is my jam, I frequently go on survival horror benders, and God Hand is a masterpiece.   
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic