Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 03:03:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRunGame aka "Kick the Eyes" - Pixel art fly kick autorunner
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: RunGame aka "Kick the Eyes" - Pixel art fly kick autorunner  (Read 4188 times)
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »

Some more progress.. Here's the head biter animated:

Here they are in action (Need to make a proper death animation for the biters):

Twitter: @pbergmar
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 04:16:45 AM »

Here's another GIF with head-biter death animation in place. Working on enemy attacks now so they can actually hurt you when you fail.

ydobemos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »

I like how you basically do kick everything in the eye, has to hurt. The art style is quite nice as well (a parallax layer of nice green hills would really liven things up).

The way they lose the hats looks great, but it may start looking a little samey, have you considered making the hat its own object? Then you could have more different hats and have them fall in slightly different ways.

In general, I think splitting the baddies into parts and adding some variety to the parts could also help with variety over time. Like have them hold newspapers, coffee mugs or weapons, wear different hats etc. And you could unlock more and more the longer you run, so there's something more to see besides new enemy types. You could also use additional objects for cool interactions, like if a front monster holds a hot coffee (and spits some out when you kick him) or a weapon it could fly backward and damage the next guy and so on.
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

ydobemos - Thanks for your input! Yeah I will add parallax and more detailed backgrounds. Also there will be more different enemy types. Good suggestions for enemy variation, I'll keep that in mind!

Here are the enemies I have so far (more are coming):

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »

Here's a new enemy, the Spike Balloon:

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »

Here is the animated Spikey. I like that it's all paranoid even though it is going to be very hard to kill because of the spikes.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »

Here's my process animating a Monosaurus:

ArzNova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »

This looks great! I love the animations on the girl.

I think maybe the kick would feel better if it didn't "stop" if you know what I mean. Right now, it maintains momentum through the kick, but once the animation is done, it suddenly snaps back to running speed. I think it should slow down from kick-speed to running-speed so it maintains its momentum and sense of flow. If that makes sense...?

Also, on the Monosaurus walk cycle, the final version's jaw looks a little off. And by that I mean it looks like it's rotating from left to right. I think you meant for it to open and close slightly, but I think the change of texture on the lip is too extreme.

(Sorry for all the critique! The game DOES look great! I come back to your post every now and then to check in. Keep it up!)

Composer / Audio Designer / Animator / Programmer (I do a lot of stuff.)
www.soundcloud.com/lukepena
www.lukepena.org
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:27 AM »

I think maybe the kick would feel better if it didn't "stop" if you know what I mean.
I know what you mean and I have actually changed that. I think some of the gifs change speed instantly like you say but the latest do it very gradually (although quickly since the kick time is short). I might change and tweak that though, and I will have your feedback in mind!

Also, on the Monosaurus walk cycle, the final version's jaw looks a little off. And by that I mean it looks like it's rotating from left to right. I think you meant for it to open and close slightly, but I think the change of texture on the lip is too extreme.
Yeah I actually meant it to feel a bit "loose". But it does get a bit extreme since one pixel of motion on these is actually quite a lot. I will go back and do some more polish on all my animations at a later state, but for now I just blast through!

(Sorry for all the critique! The game DOES look great! I come back to your post every now and then to check in. Keep it up!)
No problem, critique helps a lot! I'm glad you like the look of things, check back later and I promise it will have developed way beyond the current state.

Sergio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 01:14:26 AM »

I like the animations you're making, good job! What software are you using for doing them?

Working on Loony Run 2<br />Twitter @LoonyRunGame
ydobemos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »

I like the animations you're making, good job! What software are you using for doing them?
I agree that the animations look great. He also mentions in the 2nd post that Aseprite was used.
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 02:28:45 AM »

Thanks a lot guys! Yes, I use Aseprite. I like it a lot and definitely recommend it. Also to anyone who want to get better at animation get the book "Animator's Survival Kit". It's about traditional animation but it definitely applies to pixel art and any animation. Also check out the pixel art tutorial gifs by Saint11: https://www.patreon.com/saint11.

Here's a little creep that you can bounce on. Careful, it will hurt you if you touch the sides.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 03:22:44 AM »

Testing the bouncer animation: (the gif turned out a bit too fast)

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »

Doing some more work on background and color palette. Here's a new mockup:

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic