Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 02:21:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFIREFIGHT Save the forest!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: FIREFIGHT Save the forest!  (Read 28548 times)
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »

You are making this in Gamemaker?! Not sure how I glazed over that fact. I am in awe. I mean I know how powerful it is but the way the view is slightly cylindrical makes me think you are some kind of wizard. If you did add some other heads apart from the larger one maybe you could perform combos. Say you had a freeze head then you could use a water one to wet enemies before freezing them. Could be used to take down larger groups of tough enemies or stall a boss etc.
Thank you and thanks for the input! I'm messing around with something analogous to that!

Love it! Saw your gifs in the gifs thread and I had to check it out more. Lookin' goooood. :D
Sweet thanks Smiley

Aaaand following.
Right on  Wink

bugs aside, I added a feature to throw other scoops. You no longer shoot your head, but others. I thought walking around headless was kind of dumb, so I made more scoops.

Where does all that time go?

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »

I'm super excited for this game, I made you fan art.

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »

I'm super excited for this game, I made you fan art.
Oh my god! I'm touched, I love it

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2013, 04:52:18 AM »

Nice, reminds me of John K.
absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »

Can't believe I'm just checking this game out now. Awesome.

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »

Can't believe I'm just checking this game out now. Awesome.
Thanks!

Okay, so people were having a hard time recognizing my character was an ice cream, so I did some changes and hopefully its more recognizable. You maybe wondering how come he's not a samurai anymore, but don't worry, that guy is still in the game but is now a secret character!

Uploaded a new video! Now with new graphics!

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

I like everything I see here. Great stuff.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »

Wow, this game looks pretty cool!  Smiley  I don't think I ever saw an arcadeish action game which uses Mode7 style topdown view.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2013, 05:45:56 AM »

Like the new look, although I'll miss the samurai. (also, I assume the stark black outlines are temporary? They clash with the rest of the graphics style a bit imo)
siskavard
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »

This looks so fun
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »

I like everything I see here. Great stuff.

Thank you!

Wow, this game looks pretty cool!  Smiley  I don't think I ever saw an arcadeish action game which uses Mode7 style topdown view.

Thanks! Yea I wanted to make a topdown game, but was super bummed i didn't get to make a cool scrolling background like in a lot of side scrollers.

Like the new look, although I'll miss the samurai. (also, I assume the stark black outlines are temporary? They clash with the rest of the graphics style a bit imo)
Don't worry you will still get to be him, just not right away

This looks so fun

Thanks a lot!

Well I'm working on putting cliffs in the scene and adding a few new mechanics. I want each color scoop to do something unique as well as throw scoops. Since each scoop has a unique ability, the enemies have to have a little more depth to play off these abilities to make it more fun and challenging. So, I'm re working the enemy ai a bit. Also someone mentioned having the icecreams scoops represent his health instead of the thermometer, so i think ill do that as well. So with all these additions and changes my game looks a bit messy right now. So sorry I don't have anything to show now  Sad

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2014, 06:54:17 AM »

This looks super cool. I love that pseudo-3D. Nice improvements all around.

The movement looks nicer than it was for sure, more vector-based rather than octo-directional, but now it looks slidy (might actually feel better than it looks though). I dunno if it's something you're planning on fixing so I thought I'd just point it out.

Some directional knockback could make getting hurt/hurting enemies feel cool too.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »

oh dear
looks like I had another aneurysm from how cool this is
whoops

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »

Hey noumenus, you've been featured in Indie Statik's Screenshot Scrutiny this week: http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/05/screenshot-scrutiny-4th-january-2014/

Congrats!

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »

This looks super cool. I love that pseudo-3D. Nice improvements all around.

The movement looks nicer than it was for sure, more vector-based rather than octo-directional, but now it looks slidy (might actually feel better than it looks though). I dunno if it's something you're planning on fixing so I thought I'd just point it out.

Some directional knockback could make getting hurt/hurting enemies feel cool too.

Thanks, I actually put it back to the ortho/diagonal movement as the vector movement didn't feel right for this particular game. But I did keep the slide and ramp up speed, but toned down. I like the idea of knock back, so ill put it on the list!

oh dear
looks like I had another aneurysm from how cool this is
whoops

Thanks and gosh, it's me that should be saying whoops Tongue

Hey noumenus, you've been featured in Indie Statik's Screenshot Scrutiny this week: http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/05/screenshot-scrutiny-4th-january-2014/

Congrats!

Oh wow, that's cool! Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2014, 03:24:44 PM »

Alright so I was able to add cliffs to my scene. This meant I had to switch over to rendering it in 3D, instead of surfaces. I couldn't figure out how to add them without doing some for loop inception with surfaces, which would crash the game. So fair well "mode 7"

3D is a different beast, so tried my best to make it look like it did before while trying to balance, seeing enough squares in front of you, keeping the guy in the middle of the screen, having the guy rendered pixel perfect(close), having a log rolling world, keeping the rule of thirds with sky and game. I think the last one suffered the most Sad

The cliffs may be hard to read, so I will play around with darkening the tiles or using different tiles to represent them.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »

I guess you already thought about giving those different icecreams , different impacts on where they land
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »

I guess you already thought about giving those different icecreams , different impacts on where they land

Well when you through them, all the scoops do the same thing, but you have a second action while the scoop is still on the head that does something different. So button A will always shoot the scoop, while button B does a different thing depending on what the color of the top scoop is.

So here is my cliff stuff in action. You will notice the guy is frozen, that's because I built this set up in a new gmk file, so I'm in the process of putting the "game" and features from the older files that had "mode 7" into this new one. I needed to organize my stuff anyways...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2014, 02:59:37 AM »

Ice-skating powerup!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2014, 04:11:43 AM »

Liking the new tree designs and the game colours you're using work really well Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic