Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 06:15:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDESHORI
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: DESHORI  (Read 35291 times)
im9today
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2011, 09:27:25 AM »

do you have nothing better to do than troll this forum Droop
delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »

So guys,

I hear there's this game called Deshori. And I'm pretty excited about it. Wan't to talk about it? I hear there's a thread to talk about it. So I'm going to talk about it.

Look at the pretty spin. It's pretty and I like it.

Ooooo! I sure do like that spin.
So how about we talk about Deshori in a thread about Deshori?

I think it's a splendid idea. Why don't you guys join in and talk about deshori! :D
deshori and it's development that is...
Theophilus
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »

Tell us more about the game.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »

(ala john campbell)

The aesthetic is hip and pretty familiar, I hope you're taking the time to write a complete design document because I'm a sucker for slow exploration games. My advice to figure out what could make it personal and unique compared to say Journey or Cairo.

Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »

Love the aesthetic of this game. I will keep my eyes on this.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »

Hi y'all.

Allen, I completely understand your lack of confidence in what has already been presented.
I would like to mention I coded up a day/night cycle w/ multiple event triggers that can occur at any set time of day. I spent a lot of time on it, but that's kinda beside the point and I'm sure someone else could have written it in a half hour.
And on top of your other concerns, I'm new. I have hardly anything to show as far as games I've made in the past.

That being said, I would like you to know that I really appreciate your raw honesty and for pointing out exactly what you see is wrong with the project (a lack of notable content/gameplay systems is what I got out of what you said).
Your criticism is motivating, I'm making sure it's being put to good use.

Xoorath and Namragog,
Thanks for being so supportive. But I hope you've gathered from what I just said that he hasn't hurt my feelings or weakened my desire to finish this game.
Quite the opposite.

I mean really, I don't think the kickstarter is going to make it. It's just a gut feeling.
But whatever, you live and you learn. I'll be better prepared if I try again with another project.

So my motivation now is to make enough money through illustration/pixel art/graphic design commissions to carry on and finish Deshori. If need be, I'll get a "real" job.
In fact, I probably should just go straight for the job if I want to move out of my mom's house and move all my stuff into crystal lake.

Anyways, I suppose it'd be worthwhile to talk a bit about the game and kinda move past the somewhat pretentious stuff I have on the front page. So, here goes.

Deshori is a first person exploration game. It takes place on an alien world.
There are a lot of somewhat familiar places and animals, just a little different from the ones you'd find on earth. Sort of in a surrealistic way. So you feel like you're dreaming.
Let's talk a bit about what's planned for the animals:

Firstly, I decided to somewhat color code the animals. Both for aesthetic reasons and gameplay reasons. White/light grey animals are more docile/nondangerous. I.E. birds, deer, fish, etc...
Whereas more dangerous animals have a color pallet that either moves towards black or some other bright representational color. I.E. panthers will be black, raptors will be bright red, other completely fake animals will be whatever fits best with their surroundings and behavior.

Ok, now lets segue into behavior:

The aforementioned deer are more like antelope or gazelles I suppose.
I'm basing their visual design off of Gerenuks but with horns more shaped like Oryx horns.
They will group together and look for flat plains to graze on.
They might not care when you walk by if you're far enough away, but get too close and you can scatter the herd. These deer are food for the aforementioned "Panthers".

Panthers are highly territorial and usually stick to one area (usually woods/forest). You'll be able to tell when you're getting into ones territory by the lack of noise. No birds. No nothing. It'll be an OH SH*T moment when you realize it's quiet in the woods because you're probably already being hunted.

These are two animals out of a few that I am positive will be in the game.

I'm hungry. I'm going to go eat breakfast and then make another post. Because I can. Smiley ha

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:11:59 PM by peanutbuttershoes » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »

hey i stumbled upon proteus today and thought of this game.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »

I love game concepts like this.  Following this thread!

Also, the gif posts are great, please keep doing them!

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2011, 02:21:32 PM »

Added to the fact you mention you need a decent coder

This point has since become moot. Grin
deathtotheweird
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »

o

Still making it in Unity?

I let him know in a PM that if he has any specific questions regarding Unity all he needs to do is ask and I'd be more than happy to give advice. That offer extends to you if you need any help on any specific problem. But I would guess you probably have it under control.
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »

me -> Hand Pencil Durr...? Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Wizard Hand Any Key <- _Madk

@eigenbom: proteus is cool. I like david kanaga. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:42:15 PM by peanutbuttershoes » Logged
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

Xoorath and Namragog,
Thanks for being so supportive. But I hope you've gathered from what I just said that he hasn't hurt my feelings or weakened my desire to finish this game.
Quite the opposite.

I don't think it's so much what he was saying, but in the tone he was saying it. Whether intentional or not, it's very abrasive and aggressive. Critique, and even raw truth can be put forth without that much of an attitude behind it I think.

namragog
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »

Xoorath and Namragog,
Quite the opposite.

I don't think it's so much what he was saying, but in the tone he was saying it. Whether intentional or not, it's very abrasive and aggressive. Critique, and even raw truth can be put forth without that much of an attitude behind it I think.

That was my issue with it.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2011, 09:14:55 PM »

The impression i got from Allen's post was not at all disrespectful, and I'm glad peanutbuttershoes wasn't, let's say, put off by it?

He made good points, and not once did he throw names around or get dramatic (unlike some people in response). At worst he came off very certain of his opinion/prophecied doom in regards to deshori's kickstarter.

Just because he's blunt and occasionally (frequently, maybe) insulting doesn't mean he always is and it shouldn't be taken as an invitation to get all pissy over everything he says :/

man, I just realized this post was probably unnecessary. Anyway, this is looking cool and I'm looking forward to seeing... more of it. Yes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:20:11 PM by Droqen » Logged

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2011, 05:23:18 AM »

Outraged
Apoplectic
Mock Anger
Roll Eyes
Lips Sealed
No No NO
Angry

Hey what's this Deshori game I've heard so much about?
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »

coder acquired??? most excellent!  Well, hello there!

Theophilus
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »

this game is so dum
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »

It looks like I'm shaping up to be the next Phil Fish.

ZING
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2011, 12:33:39 AM »

It looks like I'm shaping up to be the next Phil Fish.

ZING

We should televise this stuff.  We all have to work together on the same game and every week the public gets to vote one of us off the project.  Hilarity ensues
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2011, 02:39:18 AM »

Really liking the otherworldly look of the game, reminds me of the old polygon amiga games.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic