Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 05:51:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[PC/Mac] Balloon Diaspora
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [PC/Mac] Balloon Diaspora  (Read 2593 times)
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »

I just released a game about exploring a foreign culture and traveling by hot air balloon, called "Balloon Diaspora." It was built with Unity and runs on Mac & Windows:
http://cardboardcomputer.com/games/balloon-diaspora/

Music for the game was written by Oliver Blank & is also available under a Creative Commons license.

The game can be freely downloaded at the link above. The code is also open source and available on github.  I'd love to hear any feedback you feel like sharing!

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »

Ill have a proper play tomorrow, but in the few minutes I spent with it, I have to say I'm very impressed. The style of the graphics really suits the atmosphere. I like the music. It seems very well presented. Ill enjoy it I'm sure.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »

I really enjoyed this, played from beginning to end. Totally engrossed in the story and setting. The music was also top notch, I don't think the game would have been the same without it.

By the way, nice work on the trailer. It's what really sold me on the game.

Your games just keep better and better. This just quadruples my excitement for Kentucky Route Zero.

and I appreciate you releasing the code as open source. gonna poke around and see how you did the dialog system.
Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:12:03 AM »

This game is awesome (and I regret not knowing better adjectives to qualify it in english). I love the graphics, I love the music, I love the idea, and  I especially love the background. The first thing I thought playing it was : I want to write a fanfic about it. Maybe I'll do.

I was surprised you found time to make this while you are working on Kentucky Route Zero. Just like Allen, it "quatruples my excitment".

And sorry for my english

caribou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:24 AM »

I'm usually quickly bored if a game doesn't catch me the first 5 minutes. But i kinda was into the game in the start menu already.

As Allen said the music is awesome and is a big part of your game but what really stoke me is the coherence of everything, music, graphics & story. That was "raw" but really polished.  Who, Me?

That's another great example of technique being nothing in front of creativity.

I loved it ! Hand Any Key

Ps : Allen sold it to me Beer!

racter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »

Hey thanks for checking it out & sharing your thoughts!

and I appreciate you releasing the code as open source. gonna poke around and see how you did the dialog system.

Yeah I hope that code is useful; it was my first Unity project so it's a bit messy & confused I'm sure.  It's definitely been a valuable process to build something complete that I can walk away from lessons learned when tackling my larger project Smiley

mude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:34:16 AM »

Downloading  Beer!

Seems very interesting to me.
tonight I'll try it

EDIT:
I played the game a while. interesting but i'd prefer to move freely
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:29:16 PM by mude » Logged

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »

the ambiance is nice, but the story didn't really engage me. 

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »

There was a lot of talky talky in the dialogue, but I did find the setting quite compelling.  I liked the answers to the questions for the Archives.  They were all technically 'correct', but whatever answer you would give says a lot about the kinda person you are.

Actually, I'd say the dialogue choices were the most interesting part of the game for sure!  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 04:30:56 AM »

I liked the video, so I'm downloading the game now.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »

forgot to mention this earlier, but is anyone else have this issue with his website?
(click to enlarge)

on firefix 3.6.13 and on chrome it looks fine
racter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »

Oh thx allen, I'll check that out. I am doing some kinda hacky css stuff there Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic