Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 02:25:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1965938 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1900 on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »

So uh hi! I go by mcc. I spend way too much time playing and thinking about video games, which is occasionally frustrating because my taste in video games is just slightly odd enough I sometimes have trouble finding games I like. I'm basically interested in anything that challenges the boundaries of how video games traditionally work, and anything that captures the way games felt before 1997. I also find increasingly I have trouble enjoying things that don't challenge me. Modern commercial gaming has not been consistently good at indulging these three things. Indie games on the other hand...

I did not get into indie games until relatively recently because I am a mac user and so can't run a lot of the good stuff, so I just missed that any of this existed. A friend basically started hounding me until I played knytt stories and that sort of turned me on to the existence of this entire community of people who are seemingly as obsessed with ancient video games, insanely difficult platformers, and show-don't-tell storytelling as I am. Since I got turned on to indie gaming I've practically earmarked the times when my spouse is at work on weekends to sneak onto her laptop and play whatever the new windows indie games (I'm currently working my way through Iji...). I've occasionally followed content on tigsource while doing all this but never got around to making an account.

I have a rarely-updated blog that has somehow fallen into a pattern of being about pop physics and video games. If it amuses you, the probably two best samplings on there are an elaborate numerical breakdown of the physics behind Super Mario Galaxy and a half-serious attempt to establish emulator save states as an analogy for the many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics.

I have this tendency to start programming projects that get absurdly out of hand. The most recent one has been a game. I had so much fun making it that probably my next project will be a game as well. I will probably post about the game in the announcements forum if that is okay.

I like noise music a lot.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 20, 2009, 07:11:21 AM »

It's quite intimidating to see some of the guys on here who already do an amazing job at making experimental games.  I hope to come even half as far as they.

I'm often very impressed, too, and that's why I like this forum. People here think and work in all directions, and it can be a great inspiration to watch. I think it's an very fertile environment here for creative people, and we'll grow from being here Smiley

Per aspera ad astra
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1902 on: February 20, 2009, 08:18:55 AM »

So uh hi! I go by mcc. I spend way too much time playing and thinking about video games, which is occasionally frustrating because my taste in video games is just slightly odd enough I sometimes have trouble finding games I like. I'm basically interested in anything that challenges the boundaries of how video games traditionally work, and anything that captures the way games felt before 1997. I also find increasingly I have trouble enjoying things that don't challenge me. Modern commercial gaming has not been consistently good at indulging these three things. Indie games on the other hand...

I did not get into indie games until relatively recently because I am a mac user and so can't run a lot of the good stuff, so I just missed that any of this existed. A friend basically started hounding me until I played knytt stories and that sort of turned me on to the existence of this entire community of people who are seemingly as obsessed with ancient video games, insanely difficult platformers, and show-don't-tell storytelling as I am. Since I got turned on to indie gaming I've practically earmarked the times when my spouse is at work on weekends to sneak onto her laptop and play whatever the new windows indie games (I'm currently working my way through Iji...). I've occasionally followed content on tigsource while doing all this but never got around to making an account.

I have a rarely-updated blog that has somehow fallen into a pattern of being about pop physics and video games. If it amuses you, the probably two best samplings on there are an elaborate numerical breakdown of the physics behind Super Mario Galaxy and a half-serious attempt to establish emulator save states as an analogy for the many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics.

I have this tendency to start programming projects that get absurdly out of hand. The most recent one has been a game. I had so much fun making it that probably my next project will be a game as well. I will probably post about the game in the announcements forum if that is okay.

I like noise music a lot.
Welcome! On gamespot someone started talking about how platformers weren't actually dead thanks to indie games so I clicked his link when he suggested Knytt (and Cave Story but I only checked out Knytt out the time for some reason) I still need to finish that great game...

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
chrisL
« Reply #1903 on: February 20, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »

Heyo.

I'm a grad student at the U of A (western canada) and i've been into coding games since I was typing them into a shitty little tandy computer (it was great actually). I put together a little indie team a few years ago, but my partner went deadbeat so our little "BBS" retro game went kaput.

these days I'm starting some iphone game development, and I'm starting to do the research to write a book about the indie gaming movement. I posted on the TIGS comment threads for quite a while and lurked on the forums, but never bothered registering til now. planning on coding something for the next compo.

i'm gonna be at the GDC to interview a whole bunch of people if I can... hopefully some of you will be into downing a few beers and talking about indie game dev, or coding

Edit: forgot to mention that I write mmm.. somewhat weekly over at The Artful Gamer. I write about games as works of art or poetry, and especially the Sierra, Origin, and LucasArts classics. that and indie stuff that I come across.

cheers!
-chris
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:57:12 AM by chrisL » Logged
Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »

Hi, I'm Andrew Gentleman. I've been lurking on this site for a while now and now I've decided to join the forums. I've made a few games so far, most of which are unfinished and all of which are not worth showing. I've decided to join the forums and hopefully enter the cockpit competition I've got an idea that is, while insane, showing some promise and hopefully it will be the first game I'll actually release to the wider public.
aski
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: February 20, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »

Hello, I am aski, like to called on much website in Japan, my real name is too extensive to use.

I beg your pardon, I have not yet finished learn English, so I using electronic translation. I have been soft ware development for many year, but it has been about to do the time when does my first real game. Now it is Tengoku no Tou, the Tower Heaven in the sense that the game is made. It is difficult platformer like Mario, but in English language version. I have tackled for this project, using godsavant of all visual properties and online friend flashgoodness for very great music. Please play and look forward to it.

Thanks to you! Smiley
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1906 on: February 21, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »

Hello.

I'm Roberto and I'm working for Jr. Jellybeans.  We're just wrapping up our first indy game "The Cherokee Indian," and are really excited to be working in this field.

I've been playing games for as long as I can remember.  The first system I got was an NES!  Favorite games are Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7, and The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Aside from designing and coding games, I'm really interested in film.  I find it really exciting and am hoping to break out into that field soon.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:03:55 PM by jrjellybean » Logged

Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50:26 AM »

Hello, I'm Reggie. Well, not really. My name in real life isn't Reggie. In fact, it's not at all similar to Reggie. Why did I choose this username? What am I doing here? Why am I not wearing any pants? Where's my soup? Why is there no spoon holding emoticon to match the fork and knife emoticons to properly represent my feeling about soup?

*runs away*
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 21, 2009, 02:45:05 AM »

There is no spoon!?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Gnarf
« Reply #1909 on: February 21, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »

Why am I not wearing any pants?

So that we can't call you a "fancypants soup connoisseur who'll only eat all mushy soup that can't be cut with a knife". You're very clever like that.
random
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 21, 2009, 07:39:01 AM »

Hi all. I missed this thread because i was anxious to enter the cockpit compo Embarrassed

I've been lurking around for a while and thought it would be fun to jump in. I am mostly coder and wanna-be 3d-modeller, so this cockpit thingy was perfect fit for me. What else? I havent played a decent FPS since Doom, and think that Planescape: Torment is the best game ever created... so i guess i'm kind of old.

Oh yeah, I have never actually finished a game on my own, so i hope to do that now.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 21, 2009, 07:55:30 AM »

Hi all. I missed this thread because i was anxious to enter the cockpit compo Embarrassed

I've been lurking around for a while and thought it would be fun to jump in. I am mostly coder and wanna-be 3d-modeller, so this cockpit thingy was perfect fit for me. What else? I havent played a decent FPS since Doom, and think that Planescape: Torment is the best game ever created... so i guess i'm kind of old.

Oh yeah, I have never actually finished a game on my own, so i hope to do that now.

amnesia makes the best games (system shock 2, planescape torment).
welcome to all  Beer!
snowymonkey
Level 0

Oo oo aa aa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1912 on: February 21, 2009, 08:38:30 AM »

Hi, I'm a Snowy Monkey.  I've decided to try my monkey hands at making a cockpit game.  You might be surprised that a monkey can do this, but we're actually quite smart.  I've also started a blog to follow my game development.

My favourite games are:
 - Donkey Kong
 - Ape Escape
 - Super Monkey Ball
 - Samba de Amigo
 - Sensible Soccer

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:44:17 AM by snowymonkey » Logged

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1913 on: February 21, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »

I love me some Ape Escape...well the demo since it was the first game to take advantage of Dual Shock, the levels (A LOT for just one demo) and of course Spike himself was cool. I loved how he could just sit there and bang his head to his music.

Well welcome everyone, I'm glad a competition has sparked so many people's interest. I plan on joining the cockpit compo myself even though learning 3D will be HELL!

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Garreett
« Reply #1914 on: February 21, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »

Hail and well met to thee all, too tired to make a proper introductory message just now.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1915 on: February 21, 2009, 03:28:31 PM »

I first learned of TIGSource through Paul Eres after coming across his great game Immortal Defense, so...  Blame him, even though he probably has no idea who I am!

I'm a thirtysomething programmer in Silicon Valley, CA.  I've been working at various companies around the Bay Area for most of that time, with tangential relationship to game development at Mplayer (a multiplayer on-line gaming company from the age when network play meant LAN) and There (an on-line VR community) but joining TIGSource marks my first foray into trying to do some serious indie game development.

Favorite indie games?  Um, let's see.  Aquaria and Immortal Defense certainly.  Cave Story was fun.  Here's one I don't see a lot of people mention: http://www.potato-factory.com/temporal/  Temporal is a time-traveling puzzle platform game where you have to send your little robot hero back in time to help himself get through the abandoned space station he wakes up on.  Serious mind-bending stuff!

I'm a fan of cats, and my avatar at the left is my own art.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
dsoft20
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 22, 2009, 02:23:13 AM »

Hi! I'm dsoft20, real name is Marco (off course i'm italian, so forgive for my broken english).

I'm very interested in the Cockpit Compo!  Smiley
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 22, 2009, 02:39:48 AM »

Hi new people! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Wishfallen
Level 0

Flat-based!

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 22, 2009, 02:53:29 AM »

Hey new people & Garreett  Beer!

Signature nullified!
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1919 on: February 22, 2009, 11:45:23 AM »

I first learned of TIGSource through Paul Eres after coming across his great game Immortal Defense, so...  Blame him, even though he probably has no idea who I am!

I'm a thirtysomething programmer in Silicon Valley, CA.  I've been working at various companies around the Bay Area for most of that time, with tangential relationship to game development at Mplayer (a multiplayer on-line gaming company from the age when network play meant LAN) and There (an on-line VR community) but joining TIGSource marks my first foray into trying to do some serious indie game development.

Favorite indie games?  Um, let's see.  Aquaria and Immortal Defense certainly.  Cave Story was fun.  Here's one I don't see a lot of people mention: http://www.potato-factory.com/temporal/  Temporal is a time-traveling puzzle platform game where you have to send your little robot hero back in time to help himself get through the abandoned space station he wakes up on.  Serious mind-bending stuff!

I'm a fan of cats, and my avatar at the left is my own art.
Welcome Lynx! Thanks for the time travel game link. I'm seriously interesting in playing as many of those type of games as I can.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic