Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411704 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 20, 2024, 02:27:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 740549 times)
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2020 on: April 17, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »

Is there a way to get the "projects" to live outside of the workspace directory so that I can check them into source control?
Why can't you check them into source control while being inside the workspace directory? And, even better, maybe with Subclipse or another Eclipse source control plugin?

But if you really want to have it outside the workspace directory, just
a) while creating it from scratch, choose another directiony than the workspace directory or
b) while creating it "from an existing directory", just use Import->Existing Projects into Workspace with an unchecked "Copy projects into workspace".

Or did I misunderstand you?

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2021 on: April 18, 2011, 01:12:57 AM »

Is there a way to get the "projects" to live outside of the workspace directory so that I can check them into source control?
Why can't you check them into source control while being inside the workspace directory? And, even better, maybe with Subclipse or another Eclipse source control plugin?

My Android project is a subdirectory of a larger project... I have general code at the top level and android, iphone, windows etc makefiles/projects in subdirectories.

But if you really want to have it outside the workspace directory, just
a) while creating it from scratch, choose another directiony than the workspace directory or
b) while creating it "from an existing directory", just use Import->Existing Projects into Workspace with an unchecked "Copy projects into workspace".

Or did I misunderstand you?

Hm, I'm not sure. This is what I see when I try to start a new project. I choose "Create project from an existing source" and for "Location" I pick my android sub-directory in my project. So that works fine (ASSUMING I've set Eclipse to auto-refresh external directories).

However, there seems to be a certain amount of information that lives "inside" of eclipse. Now that I look, it's NOT in the workspace; what happens is I have this "package explorer":

There's this list of things there that's the list of "new projects" I made by using the dialog I link above. And I can right click on these things, and there are options associated with each one, and there's this "Make Native Project" incantation I have to use on each one to make it work with the Android NDK, and there are these "run configurations" that I have to set up carefully. So that is like four or five steps that I have to follow exactly every time I start a new project, or even move a project from one location to another. And when I distribute my code I have to leave highly detailed instructions that read like "now right click on this word in the package manager, and choose "run as" and then "run configurations", and then go to the second tab and...". I can't figure out where all this information lives, and that's what I want in source control, if it's possible, so I don't have to set it up anew each time I check a new thing out from source control.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
TobiasW
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2022 on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:08 AM »

Okay, that's reasonable.

I can't figure out where all this information lives, and that's what I want in source control, if it's possible, so I don't have to set it up anew each time I check a new thing out from source control.

You can choose where it should live:

For each Run Configuration, select it in the "Run Configurations" window after creating it. Under the tab "Common" choose "Save as" "Shared file" and enter something like "\Jumpcore\.settings" (with "Jumpcore" being the project name).

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2023 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »

I have a warning I want to get rid of, and every attempt to do so crashes the compiler.

What would John Carmack do?
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2024 on: April 18, 2011, 01:21:34 PM »

TobiasW, that's fantastic, thanks.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
TobiasW
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2025 on: April 18, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »

You're welcome. What I forgot to mention: You can save all of your run configurations to "projectname\.settings" or whatever you name it, as you don't really specify a FILE, but a FOLDER.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2026 on: April 18, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »

I wrote some code.

It didn't work. *sigh* Typical.

I tried a new method, it also didn't work.

I reverted to the same exact old method.(Note: CTRL+Z spam)

It worked.

......................  Angry Giggle Big Laff

teomat
« Reply #2027 on: April 19, 2011, 04:07:35 AM »

I can't really do much on my craptop with löve so I guess I'll start programming in c++ again.
I already know that I'll be grumpy by the end of the week.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: April 19, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »

Code:
pointer.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_MOVE);

function customCursor(event:MouseEvent) {
pointer.x = Mouse.cursor.x;
pointer.y = Mouse.cursor.y; }

This is not giving me the proper results of a custom cursor. Its instance name is pointer and refuses to be followed by the mouse. The only custom cursor tutorials I can find in AS3 is just the dragging, which I have been told is not efficient. Hiding it is not as important for now. NOTE: I am using the Flash CS4 IDE, so if anyone has experience with that can help me, they will be hailed as a hero in lore.
Nix
« Reply #2029 on: April 19, 2011, 06:42:51 AM »

Code:

This is not giving me the proper results of a custom cursor. Its instance name is pointer and refuses to be followed by the mouse. The only custom cursor tutorials I can find in AS3 is just the dragging, which I have been told is not efficient. Hiding it is not as important for now. NOTE: I am using the Flash CS4 IDE, so if anyone has experience with that can help me, they will be hailed as a hero in lore.

http://asgamer.com/2009/creating-an-as3-object-oriented-custom-cursor
That site is a treasure trove of good information for getting started with AS3 game programming. Read everything
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: April 19, 2011, 07:05:01 AM »

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

WHY!?! WHYYYYYYYY!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I didn't even touch that code for weeks!?!?? WHY NOW?! AAAAARGGHHH!!!!!

Crazy No No NO Epileptic No No NO Tired

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 19, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »

Good grief Kongregate's commenters annoy me... just uploaded Lots of Tanks and within five minutes there's a guy boasting about having rated it one star after two seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if in the first 24h we don't have a single comment that shows evidence of having actually played the game! Roll Eyes

Eraser
« Reply #2032 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

Good grief Kongregate's commenters annoy me... just uploaded Lots of Tanks and within five minutes there's a guy boasting about having rated it one star after two seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if in the first 24h we don't have a single comment that shows evidence of having actually played the game! Roll Eyes

Well your game is lacking a lot of polish, don't be surprised with just how demeaning people will be about it.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2033 on: April 20, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »

I'm setting up Box2D again - in a different engine from the last time I used it - and I'm apparently doing one tiny little thing wrong somewhere in the integration that's making collisions not happen, and I can't figure out what. Just have to compare it with the examples and my old code a few dozen more times, I guess...

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2034 on: April 20, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »

Integrated and ready to start on the gameplay and fine-tuning, but man did it take a while. It was a combination of some shapes having the wrong winding, scale settings, timestep settings, and elasticity settings.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: April 21, 2011, 03:35:50 AM »

Code:

http://asgamer.com/2009/creating-an-as3-object-oriented-custom-cursor
That site is a treasure trove of good information for getting started with AS3 game programming. Read everything
After some fiddling with it, I realize the "com" folder needs to be in the same directory as the *.FLA, not the *.FLA in the "com" folder. I thank you for showing me this. Now for lessons on ActionScript and linking classes and stuff like that!

E: I stand corrected. This could be one of the best starters' sites for Flash I ever heard of!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:44:25 AM by Player 3 » Logged
st33d
« Reply #2036 on: April 21, 2011, 04:13:06 AM »

I think I'm going to have to drop AS3 Vectors. They're just too buggy to actually use.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2037 on: April 21, 2011, 04:40:13 AM »

So mad right now. I've had to call my app back for rework because the events I was listening for (touch events) were handled differently on the device to the simulator, leading to game-breaking bugs. Ugh.
I think I'm going to have to drop AS3 Vectors. They're just too buggy to actually use.
Amen.

SirEel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 21, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »

C++ const abuse.
Code:
const foo operator+(const & foo f) const;
SO READABLE :<
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2039 on: April 21, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »

Been working perfectly for me, what sort of trouble have you run into?

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic