Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 02:05:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Humble Indie Bundle #3
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle #3  (Read 41052 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »

DROD is awesome and I'm saying that as someone who hates most puzzle games.

And yeah, mixing "high-profile" indie games with good low-profile ones sounds like a good idea.
Nix
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »

They couldn't even take the time to put the name of the game in the response email

"the one you've just linked me to"
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »

Ahaha, it's Steam 2.0

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »

i think the limitation to 5 games may be a bit too low. imagine if it was 20 or 30 indie games for name your price. then it'd have room to include more games. of course the average profit per developer would be much lower, but who could really resist 20 games for a dollar?

or even... 52 games (the indie 52?)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:26:03 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

Nix
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »

and I would feel more guilty about donating really small amounts
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »

Devs would also make much less.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »

yeah i mentioned that the share would be less. but if the sales were higher (more people being inclined to buy it because it has more games) it might compensate for that. if 5 games makes about a million, and 50 games make 10 million, the profit per dev would be the same

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »

If a bundle is too generous, or is too big, then some people will be disinclined to buy future bundles, echoing thoughts like this:

"I have a ton of games from the last bundle that I've still not played, so why bother buying this one?"

"About 40 of the games last time I didn't like. It was painful wading through them. I don't look forward to doing that again."

"I was playing game 17, my friend was playing game 43, my other friend was playing game 36. The 50 game bundle fragments the playerbase. We're spread too thinly and can't easily talk about what we're playing, and don't have as much pleasure as a result."

Too much of anything is a bad thing.
I somewhat agree with this, but I think most of these problems are mitigated by the fact that the thing is pay-what-you-want and that you can choose which games to download once you've bought it. A lot of people probably just buy the bundle for one two games anyway and see the rest as a bonus. I know I did at least.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »

i think it's hard to predict what will happen. maybe it'd only be 2x the sales, but maybe it'd be 100x. empiricism works better than deduction / guessing

maybe after i'm done with my game i'll set up a 50 game bundle and see how it goes

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »

32 or 64 sounds fine, will be time to decide later. and i'd have to play your games first of course -- but at least i can promise that i'll play all submissions (or get ortoslon to do it for me BlinkBlink)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »

so the buyers will have to adjust 64 SLIDERS to adjust the remuneration of each develloper? Facepalm

Nix
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »

does the humble indie bundle let you choose which developer gets more money?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »

@moi - no, i don't like the slider idea and i don't know php anyway. and as nix mentioned you can't adjust the money to the 5 developers in the humble indie game bundle anyway (as far as i know), you can only adjust between charities and "devs" as a group. plus i hate charity (especially child's play) so there will be no charities involved. so no sliders, no charity, no poor indie picture, no captcha joke, just a blank text field in html format

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2011, 12:34:48 PM »

no sliders, no charity, no poor indie picture, no captcha joke, just a blank text field in html format

That's indie as hell.  Cool

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »

no sliders, no charity, no poor indie picture, no captcha joke, just a blank text field in html format

That's indie as hell.  Cool
Exactly my though :D

Hmm, but I think that charity thing was one of the main factors of Humble's success (and guilt tripping...), so perhaps you could add it to your bundle and maybe connect it to Kiva thing you seem to be into? Though I don't know how the payback would be done concerning the Kiva. Just idea. Popped to my mind since I saw the charity thing as a part of the indie-spirit, which was plus for me in the first humble bundle.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »

individual devs will be free to give a portion of their profits to charity, and perhaps that could be mentioned on the site; i always use 15% of ID sales for kiva for instance, and if i were part of a bundle i'd still use that percent of what i got out of it. but i wouldn't want to force devs to give their share to a charity, or make customers choose how much goes to charity; i recognize that that may be part of the appeal of the humble bundle, but i don't like the guilt-inducing mentality of it all, even if it "works" to increase average sale price. instead i'll just set a minimum price that isn't 1 cent (maybe 80 cents or something), and perhaps offer "prizes" for people who contribute above a certain amount (the way kickstarter works; like a t-shirt for over $25, etc.). that way instead of making people feel bad about giving too little, we'd make people feel good about giving more

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »

The Eres Bundle. Pay more than $100, get a picture of Paul showing off his torso. Pay less than $1, and Paul will explain to you why you are wrong in doing so, in a nice small essay (a.k.a "Eresing").

I'm in!

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »

for every purchase you are forced to watch a video of a kitty being killed

Nix
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »

instead of an email you are given an ftp password an an IP address encoded in a serious of inside jokes that you would only understand by having spent time in a circle jerk with phubans
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »

where do i put my money

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic