Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:42:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Gentrieve theme packs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gentrieve theme packs  (Read 1212 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »

Alright, so over the past quarter or so, I've been working on design improvements to phr00t's PGC Metroid game, Gentrieve. But one of the sticking points from it really taking off, I believe, is in the graphics department. I did make an alternate tiles/items set, though character editing has proven more... well... I'm not any better of a computer illustrator in that department, it turns out. ~.~'

For convenience, the latest build is available here. I'm presently submitting the updated source code to phr00t, so hopefully soon, he can post the newest version on his site.

-The graphics for the game are completely externalized, the size and hi-fi/lo-fi quality isn't really limited, as the game itself scales and resizes sprites to be appropriate to gameplay. It would be interesting to see sets of either or both varieties, though!

-The characters utilize mostly animated greyscale GIF's, which are colored internally by tinting; though they can also have precolored details about them. The rest are standard PNG's, some of which are tinted as well (the "ball" for shields and shots, for example, or the "suit" for lava/water suits), but things that don't vary are precolored.

-The enemies are made up of 3 main varieties: Flyers, Walkers, and Fixed, in spite of them all having jumping/standing/walking animations. (For contingency purposes, I suppose; though with good design, they could be made interchangable!)

-Even though they aren't fully fleshed out yet, there's currently 4 "levels" of each type; although some (like the fixed-place enemies) reuse some for now.

-The player, and the last "walker" type are compound upper/lower sprites that also have aiming upper bodies. All of them are "left-oriented," so they face/move left, and the "fixed" types are illustrated as stuck to a wall on the left. Player's "rolling" frame is a standstill that is auto-rotated.

-There's a total of 48 sprites, and 40 items/tiles. There's really not a lot to it.

-While the game's "story" so far is a military robot infiltrating a robotic alien world, it would be interesting to see what other narrative potential can be explored in concept, too. Let your imaginations soar!

Contribuitons will be fully accredited.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:13:47 AM by baconman » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »

Can you host it somewhere better than Megaupload?

hi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:42:39 AM »

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »

GameJolt ftw? I linked the updated source to phr00t, so his site should have it pretty soon. Or so I hope, he's got a lot on his plate right now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic