Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 09:17:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWriting30-Day Worldbuilding Challenge- COMPLETE
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: 30-Day Worldbuilding Challenge- COMPLETE  (Read 32372 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2012, 02:04:54 PM »

Day 3: The Bell Tower. (short and sweet, and totally not a rip off of Dark Souls!)

@threesidedsgf I read, it's nice, I love sci-fi!
@Theo Awesome so far, love the sketches, esp. for day 3.
@boodWar Cool stuff, reminds me of A.A.Attanasio for some reason..

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »

Day 3: Temple of the Gods

I'm noticing that lots of people are taking despair-riddled/apocalyptic/barren tones with their worlds... Interesting!
I guess that kind of setting is more immediately interesting, or something. Introduces an immediate problem? Yeah..

I'm finding a lot of nice humor in your world, Theo. I like the contrast you make that keeps the mood even.  Smiley
I'm taking notes!

This is proving to be a good learning experience for me more than anything else.
I almost feel ashamed at the quality of my work compared to everyone else's, but I'm here to improve, so!

BoxedLunch
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »

oh shit, i forgot about this. i guess i'll be behind a few days until the weekend when i can catch up. i'll try to get the first one done later when i have time.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »

Thanks you guys! I really like your stuff too. Kinda funny how both Jakman and Eigenbom posted an illustration of a building accompanied by an omnious and/or prophetic poem- another one of those weird coincidences.

I really liked TaintedFork's intro to their world, it sets the tone very effectively. Inanimate's doing most all of their blogs in-character, which makes for a very exciting read- the fact that the world concept is pretty sweet just makes it better. I'd also like to praise Xion's concept, it's got a lot of potential for story and conflicts.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »

I already had my temple idea... And I really didn't know how I wanted to present it. I knew I wanted to not doing any more lengthy expositions, though. When I saw eigenbom's post I felt inspired to do the same. So yeah, it's actually not a coincidence haha.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »

By the way, having compiled all of this for eclectocrat earlier, I discovered we have about 25 pages (not counting some art) so far! Wow!
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »

I just want to let you know how amazing and fun this has been! I never thought I would be good at this sort of thing but the ideas keep flowing. I can't wait to get into folklore, beliefs and traditions, history, and all that.   Hand Thumbs Up Left Wizard  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I really liked TaintedFork's intro to their world, it sets the tone very effectively.

Thanks! I'm going off that track for a bit, just to lay down some facts. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into that writing style for some of the other entries. It just didn't suit the more fact-based things that we've had for the past few days.  Coffee

EDIT: I might actually modify the last few posts to match the intro one if I can. The flow of the intro post is really good and hopefully I can bring that same style to the others. We'll see what I can do!
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »

By the way, having compiled all of this for eclectocrat earlier, I discovered we have about 25 pages (not counting some art) so far! Wow!

That's awesome! It's amazing to see all of the concepts people have been putting out.

I agree with you, Fork. I didn't really have any solid ideas for mythology when I first started the challenge, but now I'm overflowing with them. It's exactly the kind of experience I was hoping I'd gain from this.

EDIT: Also adding today's blog entry. Lotsa words in this one.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:18:40 AM by Theo » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »

@Theo: Great pic, nice concept and words! Edit: Although, can I say that the water carrying robot would have a very high center of gravity and would probably fall backwards.  Droop

Here's mine: Booya!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:38:44 PM by eigenbom » Logged

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:33 AM »

I have a question for those who are participating in the challenge; I was looking over my list, and I'm thinking we might shuffle a few things around. My current thoughts are that days 22 and 23 (Political and Religious Buildings) can be consolidated with their respective broader categories (i.e. Days 16 and 18). In turn, we'd move the other items up, and then use the two extra days to focus on the life cycle. This would give you three full days to write out the life span of a single person- one for their birth and childhood, one for their adolescence and middle age, and one for his death and the aftermath of their passing. Otherwise, we could use the days for designing political and religious buildings to focus exclusively on the architecture and layout, though this'd likely be more useful for the visual artists.

What do you all think of this?
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

Theo: I think this is a good move. Might free up some time for a really nice, in-depth final piece for this character's life cycle. I don't think I would really have enough to fill 2 full entries about both politics/religion and THEN political/religious buildings.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »

@Theo I don't mind either way, I'm just here for the ride. Wink

I passed on Day5:Flora and wrote about fungi instead.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

Interesting! I'd have liked to read more descriptions about specific species in your universe, but this is an interesting alternative.

Here's my entry for today. Just a handful of different concepts for plants.

Also, I edited the rules for the challenge- the Lifetime study is going to take place over the last three days, so you'll have plenty of time to get to know your character. How's everybody's blogs coming?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »

School has set me behind a day, but I intend to mostly post during weekends. I'd rather be well-rested during the week than writing badly.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »

That's fine, so long as we get to see more posts- your world's really interesting so far.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:35 PM »

Theo, your frost pine totally reminds me of Dr. Seuss's stuff. I like your concepts and it's really cool seeing the visuals you make. Have you considered drawing daily "scenes" of landscapes of things in your world? I think it'd be awesome getting to see all of the individual things in your concept art in one piece together, etc.
Eigenbom, I agree with Theo that I'd have liked to hear about specific species, but nonetheless that was a nice post. I felt pretty entertained by it, too. Nice humor there!

I think I'll hold off on my entry for today.
Pretty tired, and I think it'll go well if I do both flora and fauna at the same time.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »

Yeh I'm losing steam with the writing of the words - so my posts may get shorter and shorter. Tongue Still it's a great exercise to think about a different aspect of the world every morning while I'm having my coffee. :D

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »

Here's my day 5

Really really liking what people have shown so far.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:33 AM »

I'm really digging your entries, threesided. Very entertaining to read. Would love to see some art for your world, knowing what you can do visually.

also everyone else is being rad too!

And damn this was the hardest day so far haha. Who knew coming up with interesting plants could be so difficult.

(I guess I'll plug my post as well since everyone else seems to be doing it too)

Ashkin
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH NEED TO CATCH UP AND WRITE AND EVERYTHING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic