Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 02:06:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHumble indie bundle - pay whatever you want
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Humble indie bundle - pay whatever you want  (Read 74177 times)
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: December 16, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »

While I'm glad that the HIB2 is doing well... personally, I can't help but to feel quite... uneasy about obscene amounts of money and the expectations and critique that follows with it.

Well, like I said. I didn't actually buy the game for the finished product. I thought the sandbox mode was relatively fun as it was already. I still open the game up occasionally to blow stuff up. I'm not going to criticize your game for feeling unfinished because I understood that it would continue to be unfinished for quite some time.

The qualm I have is that the official word is that the game is still under development and you keep selling it with that promise, but haven't shown any progress for so long. Even a minor update every other month would make people much happier. A new level or a couple new items to play with. I've really been looking forward to the campaign, but so far there is just a couple of intro levels.

Contrast that with the Wolfire guys. They are also taking their time with Overgrowth, but post regular builds to show that there is progress. A lot of the builds aren't even that exciting, some minor new assets or some graphics tweaks.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2010, 07:18:19 AM »

Bought it, promoted it and made sales to a few friends, gifted it to a few friends.
CC and the Titans game are the only games I didn't have in this one. This should be fun.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »

I have created an account specifically for Mipe - hope he's grateful Wink

I too had the problem with Titans stating "Failed to find Main Class". The solution, and I have no idea why, is to either run it straight from progam files/revenge of the titans, or creating your own desktop shortcut the exe.

Many hats to you, kind sir!  Gentleman
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »

Cortex Command

So wait... Unfinished-ware and WIPs are candidates for the HIB now? Where do you go about submitting?

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »

CC was meant to run at 640*480, so the font was made small because of that. I wanted it to run in 400*300 for a while. Then suddenly we supported larger resolutions and it became advantageous to run the game at 1x size because of viewing distance. Part of the problem is that bullets don't die off, and shooting stuff offscreen is no fun because you miss all the action. I'm not really a fan of how shooty CC has become. I've always been a turtle/porcupine type of strategy gamer, but not everyone wants to carry the gold manually up to their rocket and toss in little chunks.

I run CC at 2X myself because I really like 2X (and also wide pixels). 2X makes the text more readable. I can still read the text at 1X though, and I have a WUXGA screen.

I can't really comment on the bugs because I'm not qualified. I know the early mac version had some mouse accuracy problems. On a side note, if you have a Mighty Mouse, I recommend putting it in a parcel addressed to HELL.

I haven't tried the bundle build because wolfire had me slaving doing bundle promo art. Well, actually I kind of enslaved myself there...

As a visual artist I think that I have an advantage over programmers when it comes to 'showing off', so maybe I'm the one to blame for the impression of snail-paced progress. I can spend a work day on a piece and have something rather complete and standalone. E.g this new intro slide which I'm working on. The old version of it emanated shame on me every day. This one has a few perspective errors, but it's a lot more fun to look at.

Anyway, I'm glad that people do care about that state of CC. I think it means that they're at least interested on some level. Being ignored would be much worse.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 16, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »

Maybe you could ask Data to drop by and explain to people the game's current development status?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: December 16, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

A related question.
How many of the people buying the bundle are "non indie gamers" do you think?
People that don't really know about most indie games, beside games that reach the channels they are exposed to? Like games MS publish, Wii and etc.

Master of all trades.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »

That would probably be pretty hard to figure out. There would need to be some kind of poll. Is there one? I didnt even open my bundle URL yet... thats how busy I am. . .  .. .

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »

As a visual artist I think that I have an advantage over programmers when it comes to 'showing off', so maybe I'm the one to blame for the impression of snail-paced progress.

No.  Dan is actually quite slow.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/12/there_is_more_coming_to_the_hu.html

Tears of Joy
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »

Deal with it, folks. If you don't like it, I invite you to go make your own project and finish it as fast as you wish!

It amazes me how some people who buy a license for a game that is clearly stated as, and obviously is, a work-in-progress then feel entitled to dictate how the developers use their time thereafter.. I'm tempted to take another decade finishing this, just to make a point!

harumph!  Roll Eyes

(That said, for those interested, I'm currently writing a dev log post about why the metagame didn't make it into the bundle build etc etc.)
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 16, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »

Yeah! You tell 'em!

Lousy FANS. Paying MONEY for a GAME that they LIKE. Wanting updates. murmble gurmble.

data what's it like to be an angry rockstar yelling at people that like your stuff?

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: December 16, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »

'cause they yelled at me FIRST!!! Cry
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: December 16, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »

I'm tempted to take another decade finishing this, just to make a point!

Seriously? That is how you approach this? It doesn't really matter if you are being sarcastic or not.

Again, I'll say that I was happy with what I got out of my preorder a few years ago. The part that I see as dishonest is that you continue to sell the game as "a work in progress" when there has been absolutely no indication of progress for over a year and a half now. If you've abandoned working on the game, be honest with your customers and say that the game is as done as it will ever get. Even in it's unfinished state the game is pretty fun to play around with and is worth paying something for. Just don't keep stringing people along by saying that you are still working on it unless you actually are AND have something to show for it.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #314 on: December 16, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »

too bad there wasn't a slider to individual developers so I could give more to those who deserve it and less to those who don't.
eva_
« Reply #315 on: December 16, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

a bad game by a bad person
eva_
« Reply #316 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »

not very humble either!!1
PaleFox
« Reply #317 on: December 16, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »

It amazes me how some people who buy a license for a game that is clearly stated as, and obviously is, a work-in-progress then feel entitled to dictate how the developers use their time thereafter.. I'm tempted to take another decade finishing this, just to make a point!

It's good to know that despite people asking you why your game hasn't bee updated in six months, you haven't descended to being petty or insulting the people who purchase your product and desire service. That's the kind of customer attention people don't get from larger companies, who often leave bugs unfixed for months at a time before patching, and who are often cold and unsympathetic when discussing any issues.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 16, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »

whoa
after seeing this kind of weird fury I can't really blame data for taking a dig.

I was joking when I said that thing about rockstars, and he definitely seemed to be joking, too. Lay off, people.

And yes, it really does matter if people are being jokey.

It kind of changes the meaning of a statement.

but blarg, what do I know?
The customer is always right!
Treat him like you would your local groceryboy. Like a dog, to be kicked if it does not serve your every whim.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:39:45 PM by Smithy » Logged

eva_
« Reply #319 on: December 16, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »

sarcasm is boring and ur boring too
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic