Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 03:48:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessgood mailing list management service?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: good mailing list management service?  (Read 2095 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »

I just want ppl to be able to subscribe to an announcements mailing list. What good ones do people use for their games?

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:13:35 AM »

So far the best I've found is: https://www.madmimi.com/

...but I haven't looked into this for a while.

turgoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »

I've been searching for one of these as well. Right now I am eyeballing google groups or just a google spreadsheet. Nothing has caught my fancy.

Ken Bowen | Game Designer | www.thegame-pad.com
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »

I have listed a few popular ones over here
http://www.pixelprospector.com/affordable-e-mail-marketing-services/

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:38:24 AM »

Agreed!

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork beings, and countless unknown evils.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »

I use and love Mad Mimi. There's maybe others, but meh. I tested them all and Mad Mimi was the best for my purposes.
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »

Hmmm I'm a bit surprised that these sites charge at all for anything...cuz really I all want is the ability to maintain a list of email addresses automatically (subscribe, unsub, etc.). Are the services that these sites offer worth it for indie devs?

RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »

Hmmm I'm a bit surprised that these sites charge at all for anything...

How would they afford hosting and website maintenance costs otherwise unless they are in business of something else and offer this as a free feature?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »

Hmmm I'm a bit surprised that these sites charge at all for anything...cuz really I all want is the ability to maintain a list of email addresses automatically (subscribe, unsub, etc.). Are the services that these sites offer worth it for indie devs?

they're more than worth it. let's say you make commercial games, and release them pretty regularly; how else will you contact people interested in knowing about when your next game is released without an email list? you could ask everyone to subscribe to your rss feed or something, but that'll probably miss a lot of people who don't use rss. you need some way to keep in contact with your fans

you *could* email them individually yourself, but there's a couple of problems with that -- most email providers don't let you send to large numbers (hundreds or thousands) of people at once, they have a limit. they're also more likely to mark your email as spam if it was mass-emailed and doesn't have an 'unsubscribe' option on the bottom (they may mark it as spam anyway even with that, but the chance is less). plus handling all the subscriptions and unsubscriptions to your hand-made list manually is a lot of work

i'd say it's even a good idea for freeware developers to have a newsletter, because it'd be nice to be emailed whenever one of my favorite freeware indie devs releases a new game or a new update to their game

anyway, the one i use is YMLP "your mailing list provider"

guneyozsan
Level 0

Guney Ozsan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »

I am using Mailchimp for my newsletter in my site. I like their approach very much. Its free service is large enough until you become a very big business. Their services are also used by big professionals. I am seeing their stamp time to time in some emails.
http://mailchimp.com/

Guney Ozsan - Composer & Multimedia Artist
http://www.guneyozsan.com/
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

Yeah I guess that's fair. I guess there are so many amazing services out there that are free, like DropBox, my expectations of what I should pay for are completely skewed.

I'll start using MailChimp then - it seems popular and I like the interface.

Thanks folks!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »

dropbox is not free -- it has a free trail. if you use more bandwidth than they give you, or want more space, you have to pay

it's the same thing for most mailing list providers. the one i use, YMLP, is free up to 500 emails. if you need more than 500, you need to pay

brettchalupa
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 06:17:36 PM »

Someone already suggested MailChimp, and I can definitely back up that recommendation. I've been using MailChimp for a year now, for work and personal projects. I really like it. There is a variety of plans, and the free one has been sufficient for me.

I would also recommend TinyLetter. MailChimp recently acquired TinyLetter, and it's a little bit of a smaller scaled MailChimp. It may fit your purposes even better than MailChimp. Both are free and worth trying.  Smiley
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 10:50:24 PM »

I am using AWeber(still paying eventhough I don't link the mailing list anywhere :/).
But some other guy(game producer) had a notice from AWeber that his mailing list got hacked and someone sold all his links to 3rd party(which means all the people on his mailing list got spam).
It wasn't his fault, it was purely AWeber's fault.
So it's kind of scary.
I would really love to hear which mailing list provider is the most secure. I guess AWeber isn't one of them. :/

Master of all trades.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 12:38:06 AM »

I am using AWeber(still paying eventhough I don't link the mailing list anywhere :/).
But some other guy(game producer) had a notice from AWeber that his mailing list got hacked and someone sold all his links to 3rd party(which means all the people on his mailing list got spam).
It wasn't his fault, it was purely AWeber's fault.
So it's kind of scary.
I would really love to hear which mailing list provider is the most secure. I guess AWeber isn't one of them. :/
Wow, that IS scary. I'm about to use one but after I read this post, I wonder if it's worth it... Do fans response to your newsletter? Or do most of them mark your newsletter as spam? Is there a way to know whether they've read it or not? Concerned

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic