Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:04:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAn Idea for a kind of sad satire on current shooting games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: An Idea for a kind of sad satire on current shooting games  (Read 1081 times)
thecodethinker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »

I had this idea for a kind of sad game that pokes fun at modern shooters. I imagined a game where you are a sniper and you must look in the face of your targets when you kill them in order to get the best shot. Somehow I want it to make it feel like it's a sad thing that they died even though your commanding officer says "HEADSHOT!" or something like that. As the game moves forward the you see how each person you kill affects the people around (people could be hiding in houses and crying or something). At the end you will be asked to make a really tough decision, if you pick the morally wrong choice then you win and if you pick the morally right choice you lose.

The point of the game would be to kind of poke fun at how people, even children, play these shooters and feel absolutely nothing when they kill something. I want this game to make you feel bad for killing that person.

Anyone thing it's a cool idea, dumb idea, wanna help out... I'm just a lowly programmer so I can't really come up with cool art... I just have that idea.

There is no permanence for the knowledge seeker.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »

Making fun of crappy modern shooters wouldn't automatically make it fun to play, so I vote no.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »

Oh, try Execution. I believe it executes your idea more elegantly.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »

it belong to the design forums

But don't let crappy art stop you from make it, once done find an artist ... dob't think about art before

thecodethinker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »

Making fun of crappy modern shooters wouldn't automatically make it fun to play, so I vote no.

I would make it not really to be fun but to say something about people playing shooting games not realizing what killing is. Just something I felt like doing. Not like anything I would spend more than a month or 2 on.

thecodethinker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

it belong to the design forums

But don't let crappy art stop you from make it, once done find an artist ... dob't think about art before

Sorry kinda new here  Embarrassed

I am really bad at NOT focusing in on the art. I don't know why Sad. But thanks for the tip.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »

this belongs in design forums, yeah, and also your signature is too big

anyway, this was sort of done in a game called kagero deception (and other games in the deception series), just not with guns, but with fantasy/traps/magic

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 03:16:20 AM »

Wasn't there a game where you were shown various details about the npcs you killed that humanize them after the fact? Suddenly you're given the name, marital status, and interests of the soldier you just gunned down. I never played it, so maybe somebody just talked about it and it was never actually made.

Then there's Spec Ops: The Line which seems pretty close to what you're describing.

You could also just do some design like a Metal Gear game where killing people effectively makes you lose points so you have to spare your enemies to get the best score. I think that might be better than satire because it reinforces a notion that violence is the suboptimal solution to a problem rather than requiring the player to further numb themselves against violence in order to progress.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 03:27:13 AM »

Wasn't there a game where you were shown various details about the npcs you killed that humanize them after the fact? Suddenly you're given the name, marital status, and interests of the soldier you just gunned down. I never played it, so maybe somebody just talked about it and it was never actually made.
So the Austin Powers

after every kill. EDIT: someone even suggests this in the comments on the video.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic