Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:02:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1326599 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #720 on: May 29, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

Ha ha ha, but really, what are the faces? Who, Me?

This is how moonbabies are made.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: May 29, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »

Yeh i tried some stronger hue changes, but it made the blockiness stand out too much. Oh and the faces are nothing, just a miscellaneous block type. Thx for the comments as usual. Smiley
the hue changes are quite visible on the island because orange is quite saturated. but not visible on big gray zone because... it has no saturation !
Maybe you could change lightness a bit in addition to the hue...

oh, i lied, it's not really a hue change, just multiplying by a random bright colour, i think the effect on the rocks looks less visible because they have a pattern on them. still i'll look at ramping the colour changes up a little bit.. thx Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: May 29, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »

Update: See the latest mm changes in a video I made. Watch in 1080p for maximum pixelly goodness.

click to video
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:27:57 PM by eigenbom » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #723 on: May 29, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »

Watched the whole 7 minutes, ragtime and all. Sweet work so far!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #724 on: May 29, 2012, 07:52:47 PM »

thx solar, see your cat/s made another appearance? Tongue

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #725 on: May 29, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »

Great new video and love how open and massive the world feels.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #726 on: May 29, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »

thx solar, see your cat/s made another appearance? Tongue

Yeah, I did, and I see they continue to be horribly maltreated.  Mock Anger   Ha ha ha

Thanks for using them, though. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: May 30, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »

@solar no worries, thx for drawing it!
@fg cheers, yeh it's definitely feeling more vibrant these days, but there's still a LONG way to go before I'll be happy. Smiley

And yay, now over 30,000 views since I started the devlog, eight or so months ago. Can't believe in 4 months a whole year would have passed... :S

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #728 on: May 30, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »

Game looks cool, do you think there will be a playable beta or something like that?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: May 30, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »

@pixelulsar yeh there will be a playable alpha in a couple of months. I'll change the topic title when it's ready. after that it'll have a rolling release, with the latest available to those who purchase the beta. that's the plan, anyway .. who knows how it'll actually turn out.

update: i got a dislike on my video! aw no! My game is an affront to someone's sensibilities ... Crazy

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 30, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »

Screenshot also shows a little problem with the block hues, the 2d hash is not performing as well as I need it to, but it'll have to go way down on the todo list.
In the end I feel hue changes closer to a "jpeg compression artefact" than a really nice effect. Maybe lightness variation could be better. Or nothing. Or variation just around caves borders. But there random hue variation doesn't looks that good Undecided

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: May 31, 2012, 12:36:37 AM »

thx for your input, it's actually growing on me though .. i'll take another look in a few weeks once it's settled in :D

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »

I liked them in the dirt in the first picture, but they look bad in the stone at the beginning of your video. I think if they were actual hue changes in that grey things aren't affected that might look better.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »

Thanks dude. The tinting can actually be specified on a per-block basis in the resource files, and I've got the rock tinting to a fairly strong blue, but I'll reduce that now I've got some feedback. Smiley

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: May 31, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »

i got a dislike on my video! aw no! My game is an affront to someone's sensibilities ...

Someone's probably allergic to cats.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: June 03, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »

I was watching your latest video and one thing I thought was a bit confusing at first was that I didn't initially make the connection between moonman's chopping and the blocks falling because they were so far out of range. Was going to suggest giving the character some different poses for chopping depending on where you're clicking and started drawing some in Photoshop, but... I don't think they really fit with the style.

I also realize I really don't know how to do pixel art. Anyway:

Don't know if you plan on doing any animation for more specific actions, and even if you are I'm not sure these are especially helpful suggestions, but there you go.

Gentleman

Good luck with the project!

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 03, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »

To me it looks a bit odd in 2d if moonman can hit blocks without touching them. Maybe he has telescopic tools that extend on demand? That could look sweet.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #737 on: June 03, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »

Yeh, currently moonman can chop anywhere, but limiting the chopping radius is definitely in my TODO list. Wink

@ninjadodo thx, those poses are great! Smiley I've really got to spend some time on all the animations, they are really quite sucky at the moment. Shocked

namragog
« Reply #738 on: June 03, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »

I never know what to say about moonman, so I don't post. But it looks like a moonman.
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: June 03, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »

Yeh, currently moonman can chop anywhere, but limiting the chopping radius is definitely in my TODO list. Wink

@ninjadodo thx, those poses are great! Smiley I've really got to spend some time on all the animations, they are really quite sucky at the moment. Shocked

I implemented this in my game. It is really easy. Just calculate the difference between the position clicked and the character call it xd and yd.

Code:
distance = sqrt(xd * xd + yd * yd)

Then you can limit the distance to whatever you want.

Code:
if distance > 100 then return

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic