Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 07:11:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFruit Matter
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fruit Matter  (Read 5409 times)
asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:17:45 AM »

:epileptic:Figured it's time to make a devlog here, this project started couple weeks ago from a consept mockup I made for "please say this is gonna be a game" thread.
I started learning Unity and created this game along the way. Game has changed quite a lot from the initial mockup consept during the development.

The first mockup picture.

First tests in unity:

More consepting:

first test based on the new consept:

Yesterday I created this simple and bit confusing manual thingy about the basic rules of the game:

The core/basic game play:

1. Three different enemy and ammo types.

2. Shoot things to get them flip, then see what’s under the saucer and shoot it with corresponding ammo.

3. Keep enemies away from the edge of zone 3 as long as you can, but eventually the game will get you, as enemy movements gets faster and their amount increases.

4. Get the best possible score before game over.

5. Increase your score by chaining up similar type of enemies and get combo multipliers. Shoot chained enemies with wrong ammo or let the timer run out the chain collapses and you have to start over.

And the latest video from yesterday as well:

There you go. I'm planning to get the first playable version done by next monday, will start adding new stuff(like special weapons, new effects etc.) once I get the basic gameplay running and tested.

I also have a personal blog that I'm updating few times a week. Lately it has been mostly about this fruit project: www.kaipaamo.fi/make3d
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:31:21 PM by asa » Logged

Savick
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:11:27 AM »

I'd like to know why you're shooting fruit or did I miss that part? The concept seems frustrating and difficult to keep up with for a shmup but then there's Ikaruga. Not sure if I would play it, but I was never really into shmups in the first place. I wish you luck.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:25:13 AM »

Remember this from your original concept posts so will be following Smiley

mcooley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:07 AM »

Wow, are you shooting fruit at death cookies?

I really like the look and action of that wormhole, and the way the player orbits around it.

The wormhole feels like a portal to hell. I half expect some horrible monsters to come crawling out of it that you have shoot and send back to their wormhole hell.
asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »

Savick, Reason why you're shooting fruit is of course the fact that these three fruit type happen to be only thing in _this_ universe that can withhold the massive gravitational dis-ruptures of the blackhole. Why fruit molecules happen to be that way, well who knows, such is life.

Or it might have happened that the ship that was sent to destroy this out of worldly threat, traveled 1 billion years to this distant black hole, only to notice that someone forgot to pack the bullets! Luckily there's lots of leftovers from the intergalactic journey.

Or I just like idea of fruit ammo.

Game will be kinda slow based eventually, it only gets hectic towards the inevitable end. but yeah, I have no idea if this is going to work/or be any fun in practice, I should find out soon enough. Smiley

Mcooley, indeed, see that I put _these_ under the _this_ on my answer to Savick. These things are not from our dimension, cookies or not they're here to get ya!

Anyways, Got bit distracted and made some graphics instead of making the game work Facepalm

Looks kinda nifty in movement, might do a video update later today.

Qqwy
Level 1

To who might ever read this: I love you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:15:27 AM »

Wow, the art looks amazing!

After watching your first test, I have a question tough. Will the final moving scheme of the ship be similar to what it's now? Because it doesn't really fit with the shape of the ship(streamlined airplane/fighter kind of ships normally fly forward really fast, and turn badly. In your test, the ship moves sideways around the circle)

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »

Qrwy, yes, a good point. I've planned to redo the ship at some point, probably sooner than later. I've been thinking making it more like a spider or somethingsomething Tempest inspired.

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 03:32:02 AM »

Got the basic game working today! Tears of Joy
New video:

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »

Like your reasoning with the fruit Smiley This has come along so quickly. Have you used Unity before this project?

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »

Franklins Ghost: Not really, I've been an artist for one bigger project done in Unity in the past, but I never got to use Unity that much while working on that project. My secret weapon has been Playmaker, a visual scripting tool for Unity. I wouldn't be near as far in this project without it.

New stuff added:
Particles,
score display,
popup scores on the enemies

Here's the newest video:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:36:54 PM by asa » Logged

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »

New stuff, Combo visualizer, new fruit types: red apple, banana and avocado now Smiley, minus points, new sound effects, playarea is bit more round and bit less polygonal now. and lots of other stuff I forgot allready.

I think I might have all the planned features in by next week.

Newest video:

And blog post for more details: http://www.kaipaamo.fi/make3d/grinding-in-progress/

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 04:32:47 AM »

What's the fruit count now?

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »

Fruit ammo, love it.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »

Man, I want a banana now.

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »

Franklins Ghost, still just three different fruit types. I had pineapple and orange for my two other fruit type, but people testing the game had some trouble telling them a part, so I replaced the two with red apple and avocado. Now it's much more easier to tell the difference between fruit types...

Basically one could replace "banana/red apple/avocado" with "yellow/red/green colored laserzz" and gameplay would be unaffected, but where's the fun in that?

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »

New video:

First test of leveling up:

Every level has randomly selected enemy type, destroy ten of them and the level grows. (to get higher score you would need to avoid killing them for as long as possible)

Level clears out and next level is initialized: next selected enemy type is randomized, enemy speed increases, spawn speed and flip stun time decreases.

Need to work on the visualization of the selected enemy type. Atm center are is way too busy.

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »

New stuff!
http://www.kaipaamo.fi/make3d/feature-creeps-and-new-ship/

New ship design
Ship leaves nice green slime/northern lights type of thing behind as it moves
More particles!
New Alarm system that tells how much damage a sector has taken. Skull for critical damage.
Loads of stuff under the hood.

New video:

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 04:20:02 PM »

I was confused at first, thinking you had to prevent enemies from ENTERING the black hole.
It's a unique concept though.

Could you get lucky and hit an enemy with the fruit type they're weak to and score an instant-kill?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »

That new ship design looks great.

asa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

Crafted a new main menu today, I think it fits quite nicely on my 80′s/90′s aesthetics goal!

And a video of the same thing:

I also did new game over sequence:

I'm steadily progressing towards feature complete Hand Any Key

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic