Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 08:12:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthereal - On Hiatus
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ethereal - On Hiatus  (Read 48095 times)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

Devlog Update #45 - 04/02/14

The artist revised the Seething Spirit's style. I think it looks a lot better now. Here is what he looks like attacking the player:

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »

looks great!

I think you could give a nice vertical sine wave hovering to the player characters movements, and any other hovering spirits.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »

looks great!

I think you could give a nice vertical sine wave hovering to the player characters movements, and any other hovering spirits.
Thanks! I planned originally to do something like that and I might still. If I do, then I'll definitely implement it in the animation stage, rather than actually moving the player in a pattern.

Therocode
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2014, 10:59:39 PM »

Wow, I really like the art for this game. Sets a very cool atmosphere. Very impressed!

Feather Kit - A lightweight game development framework for C++
Follow me on twitter - Therocode
Development team - Blazing Gem Studio
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2014, 11:13:44 PM »

You should probably put everything on a sine wave, they're easily the spookiest part of trigonometry.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

Wow, I really like the art for this game. Sets a very cool atmosphere. Very impressed!

Thank you!

You should probably put everything on a sine wave, they're easily the spookiest part of trigonometry.

I don't know, man... tangents creep me out!

Devlog Update #46 - 04/03/14

I just wanted to update you guys on what's going on. For a while I've been working on a short demo to test out my level designing skills and to give to certain people. The good news is that according to testers, the level design is great! Other notes are that people loved the difficulty level (challenging but not frustrating) and said it felt really polished for such an early build.

I've decided that I want the game to keep a consistent tone, so I'm removing a couple of the sillier sides of the game. The game will have cheat codes and one will add the pause music back in. I also plan on having cheat codes to unlock Easy Mode and Hard Mode. Easy Mode will make the player move faster and fall slower so its easier to get past precision and timing based puzzles. It will not lower the difficulty of figuring out how to solve puzzles though. Hard Mode will add hell voids at specific spots throughout the worlds to make puzzles harder.

We have big stuff planned for the next three months. In about a month we'll be making a big announcement. One month after that we'll be launching a kickstarter campaign. We might be holding back a lot of stuff we'd usually show for the next two months so that we have a ton to reveal throughout the kickstarter. This is of course my first kickstarter so if anyone has any big awesome tips, let me know! I still haven't decided if I'm planning stretch goals. I don't want to tack on features that are unnecessary.

Last note, we don't need any more testers for now. We always need translators though! So if you want to translate for Ethereal, email me at [email protected].

You guys can also follow me on twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/despawngames

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

Devlog Update #47 - 04/04/14

A few new animations to show you guys!

Seething Spirit Idle:

Seething Spirit 'Death':

Player Respawn Animation:

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »

Your pixel artist is amazing.   Shocked

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »

Your pixel artist is amazing.   Shocked

Thanks, I agree! I'm really proud of the work he's done. My composer too!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2014, 03:19:01 AM »

The artist wanted me to pass on that he is glad you all like his art so much! Some people have also asked what program he uses, so I asked him. He said: MSPaint. I was surprised. Apparently, he's tried a lot of programs and felt mspaint was the best tool for him.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2014, 01:13:28 AM »

The new art is amazing Tom! :O
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »

The new art is amazing Tom! :O

Thank you! Smiley

Devlog Update #48 - 04/10/14

Here for your viewing pleasure is the finished version of the door animation! The door will start as debris floating in the air. If the player has a key though, then when he reaches the door it will assemble itself.

Also, here's a preview of our gravedigger, colorless at the moment, player Sprite to the right for size comparison:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:14:06 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Zav
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »

Crazyness  Kiss
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »

Crazyness  Kiss

I'm glad you like it!

Devlog Update #49 - 04/11/14

Some things I'm posting for screenshot saturday later:

This is a concept for how spikes, platforms and grates will look.

And this is a concept for how gravestones and other scenery in the cemetery will look.

This one is really simple and I usually wouldn't bother showing something this small by itself, but I love this. The artist did such a great job on them. They're just birds flying away from the cabin fire in the woods.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:16:50 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

karlozalb
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2014, 01:59:18 AM »

Shocked
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2014, 11:15:41 PM »

Shocked

That was my face when the artist showed me it too.

Devlog Update #50 - 04/19/14

Sorry for the lack of updates. Our whole team has been terribly sick for the whole week.
We don't have much new to show, so here are a few things I haven't shown yet.

Dad's Pocket Watch Memento

Small Preview of World 1 Concept Art

Demonic Spikes Concept Art

Mouse Cursor

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2014, 11:22:33 AM »

Devlog Update #51 - 04/22/14

That's the main character of my game dead on the floor. Of course, the game is based on my own father's life and death so that's basically my own father's dead body in pixel art. Never thought I'd ever ask an artist to draw that!

In other news, right now I'm working on a teaser trailer. It should be done in around a week. Then we'll hopefully have a huge announcement around the same time. Another month after that we'll be doing our kickstarter.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »

Devlog Update #52 - 04/25/14

Since the fire and body are done, the cabin area is 100% complete now! I may add falling leaves in the background eventually, but it's not important. So, I made a wallpaper to celebrate!
Wallpaper #1 - 1920x1080
Wallpaper #1 - 1600x900
Wallpaper #1 - 1366x768

I was also designing and coding the "Credits" part of the game. I thought it looked neat so I made a wallpaper from it as well!
Wallpaper #2 - 1920x1080
Wallpaper #2 - 1600x900
Wallpaper #2 - 1366x768

If you guys have requests for certain resolutions or even different wallpapers, let me know!

On the news front, two things:
1. Thanks to Wii U supporting HTML5 and Game Maker exporting to HTML 5, we should be able to get Ethereal on Wii U fairly easily! This means our planned platforms are now: PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, PS4, PSVITA, and Wii U! Not sure if we'll be able to get on 3DS yet. Maybe in the future.
2. Our kickstarter will launch on June 3rd!

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »

As always, amazing art.  Shocked

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
karlozalb
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 01:17:39 AM »