Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:26:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJables's Adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Jables's Adventure  (Read 9148 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »

I did try to design it so you see the bear first. The right door is on the top, so I thought people would go straight across and not down.
Ah, ok ... I guess it's hard to direct flow really when the player has a jetpack, so I don't know if you could really do better than that ... at least, not without putting the bear before the cactus in the level layout, which would mess up the dialog, so, probably not worth it!  Hopefully most people follow your logic and see the bear first anyway Smiley
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

This looks really well done, I'll have to play it as soon as I get home. :D

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »

I remember seeing the cactus guy first myself too.

There are 10 fruit. You can find an NPC couple on the last area that gives you that bit of info. Max health is 25, 2 for each fruit. Some of them are pretty hidden, others shouldn't be much trouble to find it you look around long enough. It's not always just a matter of finding them though.

I already gave all this feedback for Jason but I'll just get in here again and say that I too loved the graphics and dialogue.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »

No idea if it's been mentioned, but just after the first boss, there's a little ridge at the end of the underwater tunnel, if I walk into the wall and shoot up at the same time he shoots like crazy and the animation flickers. But this has probably already been discovered.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 01:33:52 PM »

That was pretty delightful!

I'm especially fond of the advice to Able.

(Fruit discovered: 7/10!)

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »

Awesome pixel art, characters, dialogue, humor. Kinda agree with the others about the pacing and the level layout, though. Must... find... all items!

Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »

I loved most of it ;P, but some maps do felt empty but just at the start :s, you should have distributed the houses in the first map through all the game Grin, same with the maps most are just straight horizontal or vertical map :/. But! I loved every character in the game ;DD;D;D;D;D; you did some amazing and unexpected stuffs!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »

I saw flame-thrower bear first, but maybe you can just make that puzzle activate only if the person has been in the flame-thrower bear room at least once.

hi
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »

I absolutely and utterly enjoyed this game. In the unlikely occurance someone at Cartoon Network sees this they'd hire you to make an Adventure Time game in a heartbeat.

MaloEspada
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/09/freeware_game_pick_jabless_adv.html

Wink
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »

I just absolutely loved the Bob and Doug Mackenzie reference.

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 07:28:21 AM »

The dialogue was just soooo brilliant. For a game with no voices and simple text boxes I had to click through I laughed harder than I thought possible. Well done sir.

Also <3 the cloud references.
gamete
Level 0

Party Time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »

Awesome game JaJitsu, just finished it a few minutes ago! The dialog was superb.  Gentleman
I guess the save-point guy was training Jables for the final battle all along.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »

Played it today, loved it. The best part was the chat sequences with all the characters. Too bad it's a little short. Sad

Ape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 10:39:26 PM »

Wow...

Nearly perfect. Excellent story, intriguing characters, hilarious dialog, and extremely fun gameplay. There was some minor frustration during the jetpack spikes section, although, the relief of triumph when I made it passed that part was well worth it. Loved the scuba-bear.

I do hope you continue to make more games like this. Bravo and thank you.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »

The only thing that could POSSIBLY be considered bad about this game is the spike corridor.

first i was like  Smiley

then i was all  Hand Shake Right Apoplectic Hand Shake Left

but then i was all  Tears of Joy

so yeah make the spike corridor have a bit more room for error at least.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »

Guess what people. We got ourselves an official Jables's OST! :D
Click the big awesome album cover below to get the sweet sweet goodness.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »

Insta-classic. Easily one of the funnest "coffee break Metroidvanias" I've seen. (Now that I've got the Jacquez fix d/l'ed, and pushed through it.) And I agree, the personality it exudes is probably it's biggest point. You do great, solid character design; and it adds a lot to the formula. I mean, you break through an obstacle-area, and the characters/interactions there are like a delightful reward you can enjoy awhile before pressing on. It makes for great flow.

Also, disregard those comments above about the spike corridor. If anything, a couple more parts like that would up the playability quite a bit; as that was pretty challenging to get down, but totally fair. The margin of error in it wasn't too unforgiving, but it still demanded practice and persistence of the player. The bubble-shooter grid was another cool spot like that. That thing with the bears was really cool, too.

EDIT: YES! Just in time. I loved the music in this game! 3:00 to 4:00 loops would make for better music-player listening, however. At least with the levels, anyways. Just something to consider.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:55:14 PM by baconman » Logged

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

Also, disregard those comments above about the spike corridor. If anything, a couple more parts like that would up the playability quite a bit; as that was pretty challenging to get down, but totally fair. The margin of error in it wasn't too unforgiving, but it still demanded practice and persistence of the player. The bubble-shooter grid was another cool spot like that. That thing with the bears was really cool, too.

Difficult parts aren't necessarily bad, but personally I felt that the spike corridors were a discontinuous jump in the game's difficulty. I'd prefer a smoother transition between difficulties.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic