Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411543 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 03:51:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCleansing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cleansing  (Read 971 times)
aeveis
Level 0

some guy

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »

Hi guys,

I posted here before but that was a while ago so I'll just re-introduce myself. I like making these experimental games and am currently in grad school. I've been regularly participating in Ludum Dare 48 Game Jam since LD22.

So recently I released a game called Cleansing on Newgrounds (and also Kongregate). Cleansing was originally a prototype for Ludum Dare 25 "You are the Villian." It's been polished and fixed up since then.

Newgrounds link:http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/612553

So this was more of a one shot type thing where I basically I wanted to polish something up and see where I could go with it, so I won't be making any changes, but any feedback would be helpful in terms of moving forward with how I think about design. I guess specifically I'm interested in how you played the game and if it means anything you. Thanks!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »

it's kind of hard to read the black text on the ground in the beginning, and messages box overlap if there is more than one.

it's an interesting little game. the graphics and sounds were quite good. the music was easily the weakest part, definitely could have lived without the vocal track at least. but it did serve it's purpose and wasn't especially bad, so it's not a big deal.

if I were you I would have removed the constantly scrolling "why" text, it reeks of pretentiousness.

but I liked it. kinda felt like a weird mix of bento smile and increpare. short little experience with cute graphics, but dark/mysterious themes.
FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »

Nice work man!  I like the art style and controls are decent but I got bored pretty quickly. If you make the enemies attack this game would be much more interesting and potentially really fun. I agree with allen to get rid of the scrolling "whys".

I actually made kind of a similar game for LD25 but it was side scrolling. It turned out pretty good, definitely not my best work but it was fun to try some new things. The enemies do try to fight you off and give you at least a bit of a challenge.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »

I love it! Definitely an interesting little game. I killed everything in sight in the first run and the ending made me think that there must be another way to do it. The game felt tedious in the first run, but when your aim is to kill the green moster without killing anyone, it becomes more interesting and not as tedious.

I didn't like the 'why' text either, since it seems out of place and too much 'in your face' about the theme. I think the way each character in the game response to the monster already tell a lot, especially with the random speech and how they crawl when they're hurt and almost die. Adding the floating red text keep asking 'why?' is just too much, imo. Although I admit that it worked as a sign telling you which ending you're going to get.

I'm not sure about adding enemies that attack you. It might be more interesting, but it might be tedious as well. Trying to get rid of the slime without hurting anyone is already a tough task as it is!

Anyway, great game and great theme. The good ending is a bit of a let down since it ends abruptly, but I enjoyed the experience. Smiley

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »

yeah have to agree with the Why...Why...Why flying all over the screen.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
aeveis
Level 0

some guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. The whys were probably a bit too much, I would have to agree in retrospect...

The initial idea was to have the player play as something that couldn't be killed and have the civilians only be able to run from you. Mostly in an effort to try and get the player to feel bad as a "villian" in the game.

I didn't want to try and make the game difficult in a more traditional way, and so the slimes allowed me to introduce some varying levels of difficulty without breaking my original constraint.

So yeah, I think ideally I wanted the player to figure out what to do in the game. Initially I had less text and so the Whys made more sense to me then in terms of figuring out what to do.

TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »

I like the blood effects after hitting an enemy. Seeing the bloody sheep was amusing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic