Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:13:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Make an animated sprite from external PNGs ?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Make an animated sprite from external PNGs ?  (Read 1856 times)
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »

I'm a noob to Game Maker and i'd like to make sprites with 24bit alpha channels. I searched on (my friend) Google and the forum and didn't find an answer (sorry if this question has been asked here before and i missed it).

I'd like to know if it's possible to make an animated sprite from a serie of transparent png.

Thanks and sorry if it's a lame question Smiley

Entity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »

Game Maker 7 doesn't support alpha PNG files. You should be able to use them in Game Maker 8 when it's released, though.
G.I.L.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »

Although you can still give an image alpha transparency using the function sprite_set_alpha_from_sprite() or something like that. It gives the sprite an alpha mask. Its some extra work but you may find it helpful.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »

Cough*construct*cough*cough

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »

It's been a while since I used it, but I'm pretty sure that GM can handle transparent PNGs; but you can't do it through the editor, you need to load them at runtime.

For using them to make sprites, see sprite_create_from_surface on this page http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/GML_Functions:_Changing_Sprites

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »

Thanks for your answers.

GM can handle alpha channels, but its sprite editor can't (yet). Thanks Pishtaco, i've been looking for this page for a long time, i don't know how i managed to miss it.

moike> Yeah i've tried Construct, it looks very nice but also quite buggy. Plus, from what i've seen, the interface is really really dragndropish, which is annoying (maybe i didn't watch close enough). I like being able to use GML in Game Maker.

Entity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »

I've just had a look at Construct, it looks a lot like Multimedia Fusion, which I've tried before, but I really didn't like the WYSIWIGness of it (although 7 years ago I was making simple games in The Games factory / Klik and Play, and once tried GM back then, but I didn't like it for some reason, probably the fact I had to learn a programming language to use it to it's advantage).

Nowadays, I prefer controlling my game logic through GML. I never use the pre-programmed drag-and-drop functions.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:47:30 AM »

If you use Pro version, sprite_add_alpha will automatically manage the alpha channel for you. It's good to load your sprite externally too, so I use this almost all the time. ( Except for some sprites that I use them for quick tests. )

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 08:29:35 AM »

Thanks everyone. I finally had a chance to try these "_alpha" functions and it works pretty nicely. Now i have to find some time and motivation and make a little game with it Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic