Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:47:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450874 times)
lagdog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: February 23, 2015, 01:15:42 AM »

are those worms non-attacking?
I love it when there are creatures in a game just to flesh out the ecology of the environment

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2961 on: February 23, 2015, 04:08:20 AM »

GARBAGE WOOOOOOOORMS! how i have missed them. you dont even know how many times i had nag Joar to get them into this build  Cheesy

are those worms non-attacking?
I love it when there are creatures in a game just to flesh out the ecology of the environment

we have some plans for the worms (though exactly what depends a little on how some other things turn out), and the one of the upcoming regions (garbage dump) features them pretty heavily. but for this build at least they are just interesting background creatures doing their own thing, eating some garbage (or whatever). their movement and alien vibe creates a really cool mood though, and even just the mockup Joar did of them in the old lingo build was a highlight for me, so i cant wait to get hacking at some geometries for them!

the interaction in the water looks even better than i imagined!  Tears of Joy

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: February 23, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »

So guys. Oddball question here, but what are the odds of you putting up a download for the old alpha? Say, the one from the "slugcat life" video, or whatever it was prior to porting to unity. It may seem odd, but I kinda want to try it out, just to see how far its come. If not, do you think that there will be an option to play the old version in lingo when the game is finally released?
Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: February 23, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »

Those ambient creatures look awesome. And in general, I'm new to TIG but the Heart of Darkness/Flashback-esque vibe you have going is really amazing. Looking forward to keeping track of the project from now on.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2964 on: February 23, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »

So guys. Oddball question here, but what are the odds of you putting up a download for the old alpha? Say, the one from the "slugcat life" video, or whatever it was prior to porting to unity. It may seem odd, but I kinda want to try it out, just to see how far its come. If not, do you think that there will be an option to play the old version in lingo when the game is finally released?

i think we might! probably wont do a big announcement about it, but for people who are interested and can understand that "this is the previous prototype alpha, NOT the actual game", it would be cool to show how much things have evolved. a lot of the single player in the lingo build is pretty much just a playable mock-up so not terribly exciting, but the mutiplayer is still totally relevant (and fun!)

one concern is that we kind of dont want streamers to get a hold of it and give people the wrong impression about where we are with the graphics and experience, cuz were light years beyond that now Smiley
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:56:05 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

akryl9296
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: February 24, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »

one concern is that we kind of dont want streamers to get a hold of it and give people the wrong impression about where we are with the graphics and experience, cuz were light years beyond that now Smiley

Speaking of which, when the game gets finished, It could do you a lot of good to go to someone more popular like Cohh (twitch.tv/cohhcarnage) and simply give him your game for free to stream over. I've seen some unknown games become popular with skyrocketing sales because of guys like this one, but it could as well break the sales (if they don't like it enough) Tongue Up to you, but it might be a risky move - games that rely on exploration aren't a good streaming material.

RainWorld alpha map: 141220
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2966 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:23 AM »

adult swim has some big streaming planz for us, but before we do any of that i think we want to wait until we have competitive multiplayer in for exactly that reason. 4 player multi with all these new creatures is going to be INSANE and we def want that to be a big part of the first impression.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2967 on: February 24, 2015, 04:29:39 AM »

adult swim has some big streaming planz for us, but before we do any of that i think we want to wait until we have competitive multiplayer in for exactly that reason. 4 player multi with all these new creatures is going to be INSANE and we def want that to be a big part of the first impression.
If I recall correctly, some MP plans involved playing as lizards, right? Any chance we'll get a mode with vultures too? One player is the vulture, other three players have to kill or evade the vulture. Asymmetrical MP is cool
And an "Infected" mode would be cool too. One player starts as a lizard, kills someone, that person becomes a lizard now until there's one slugcat left standing against three lizards.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:44:06 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Spadkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:37 AM »

Speaking of which, when the game gets finished, It could do you a lot of good to go to someone more popular like Cohh (twitch.tv/cohhcarnage) and simply give him your game for free to stream over. I've seen some unknown games become popular with skyrocketing sales because of guys like this one, but it could as well break the sales (if they don't like it enough) Tongue Up to you, but it might be a risky move - games that rely on exploration aren't a good streaming material.

I would highly recommend you taking this route at some point in development, although I suppose sometime later if you want the 4-player multiplayer in beforehand. Not trying to tell you what to do, I have the utmost respect for the work you and Joar have done on this game, and even more so for the lightspeed pace it's done at. But I remember an article posted on the devblog for the forever Early Access game, Overgrowth. The article talked about how developers and youtubers currently have a very beneficial mutual relationship, whereby the game can get free advertising from someone with a large fanbase and a lot of weight in the internet community, and the youtuber collects revenue from ads, providing them income to continue producing videos. Now I would imagine that this isn't news to anybody here, especially not you two, but the Overgrowth devs posted a graph of the game's sales before and after being spotlighted on Nerdcubed's youtube channel.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Article: http://blog.wolfire.com/2013/12/Why-Game-Developers-Need-YouTubers
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2969 on: February 24, 2015, 04:50:58 AM »

Well Overgrowth is in a unique position since the devs are the people behind Humble Bundle. They never have to worry about running out of funds. I got the game last year and while the core gameplay is super fun, the glacial pace of development is really grating. Like an alpha update is miniscule and minor stuff like improving animations. A sharp contrast compared to other Early Access games like Broforce and XenoRaptor. It's like the other side of the Early Access spectrum: instead of no updates and abandoning the game, it just makes the slightest progress every now and then.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2970 on: February 24, 2015, 05:14:41 AM »

I have the utmost respect for the work you and Joar have done on this game, and even more so for the lightspeed pace it's done at.

Shocked

i literally dropped my mouse on the ground from the shock of someone saying that were developing quickly. you dont even know how relieving it is to hear those words! we feel like its taking forever of course.

and good considerations for the streaming. were totally interested, but just want to get the game into a shape were comfortable with first. that point is coming relatively soon though!

If I recall correctly, some MP plans involved playing as lizards, right?

eh, i dont recall that! unless it was an idea tossed out in a chat or something? definitely isnt in the GDD at least. were planning quite a few predators, and many of them with strange movement / hunting types, so its hard to see them as being playable. who knows though, were not there quite yet.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2971 on: February 24, 2015, 05:45:55 AM »

Ah, you're right. Looked back and yeah, the MP was players killings lizards for points, not actually playing as lizards

And about the pace of development, I totally agree. I follow a lot of games and nothing else progresses at the speed that Rain World does. What other Kickstarter and other in-dev game can tout nearly daily progress updates?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: February 24, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »

Those talks kind of reassure me about my own project  Big Laff

theEasternDragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: February 24, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »

So, feature wise, I like what there is so far. When do you guys plan to get around to the nice orange and blue lighting like seen in the lingo alpha? Is this implemented yet? That was one of the things that really sold it for me. Also... waaaait for it... BRAIN TREE! Seriously, where is this thing? The plant life, man. And those red bubble things... Don't forget them.

tl:dr, what is making it in from the lingo build? Addicted
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: February 24, 2015, 08:16:51 PM »

...lightspeed pace...

Tears of Joy Tears of Joy Tears of Joy
You're not mocking us, are you?  Cheesy

On the subject of streaming - as you say, very risky. If everything goes well, it could be a really cool way of reaching people. If there's some hiccup in the game that makes the streamer lose in some unfair way or something like that, that small little random occurrence could become a big problem. We'd have to be very secure and confident with the stability of the game. And as you also mention, atmospheric exploration is maybe not the best streaming material. That said Rain World does have a zanier side to it when it comes to creature interactions, and that side is further accented in the sandbox mode which will soon come around.

As for Lingo features, pretty much all of it will make it! Though some things might morph a bit to go with the new and more refined aesthetic. The red bubbles I don't really know about though, haha... If they make it in they're going to look quite different!
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: February 24, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »

...lightspeed pace...

On the subject of streaming - as you say, very risky. If everything goes well, it could be a really cool way of reaching people. If there's some hiccup in the game that makes the streamer lose in some unfair way or something like that, that small little random occurrence could become a big problem. We'd have to be very secure and confident with the stability of the game. And as you also mention, atmospheric exploration is maybe not the best streaming material. That said Rain World does have a zanier side to it when it comes to creature interactions, and that side is further accented in the sandbox mode which will soon come around.

As for Lingo features, pretty much all of it will make it! Though some things might morph a bit to go with the new and more refined aesthetic. The red bubbles I don't really know about though, haha... If they make it in they're going to look quite different!
The Bubbles have a page on the Wiki! They better make it in!! Tongue

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: February 24, 2015, 09:08:04 PM »

Dunno if it doesn't translate in video but the gif are heaven gods

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »

The tech behind this game is ridiculous.  Seriously, you guys are geniuses!  Gentleman

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: February 24, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »

Dummied out & cut content is equally as fascinating in a game's life story too though Beer!
theEasternDragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:39 PM »

...lightspeed pace...

So they do...
http://rainworld.gamepedia.com/Bubbles
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic