Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 09:43:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 739914 times)
teomat
« Reply #1940 on: March 21, 2011, 01:51:20 AM »

Code:
for(var i:int = 0 ...)

shouldn't it be like that? I mean, I only coded in actionscript (it is as, right?) for 2 or 3 days, but I think you need to tell it that it's an integer.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »

i tried that and it still doesn't work D:::::

edit: i was putting the code in the wrong place. i'm a dumbass who doesn't work computer
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:01:25 AM by JMickle » Logged

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:44 AM »

I still don't know which language to attempt!

• C++ is fine for power but has a very steep learning curve.
  • Java is something I have experience with and is cross-platform.
  • Python is out of the question.

Ubuntu is kind of a weird OS when it comes to this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:38:08 AM by Player 3 » Logged
wademcgillis
« Reply #1943 on: March 21, 2011, 05:37:40 AM »

I still don't know which language to attemt!

Ubuntu is a weird OS in general.  Well, hello there!
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1944 on: March 21, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »

Why is Python out of the question?

Of the three I'd probably pick Java these days, but I did a lot of learning in Python. Pygame, Pyglet, and Cocos2d are all pretty darn awesome Smiley

Nix
« Reply #1945 on: March 21, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »

I still don't know which language to attempt!

All three of those languages work perfectly fine under Ubuntu. What does Ubuntu have to do with your choice?
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »

Let's say if I wanted to sell a creation. Python would be a little tedious as it also requires a Python interpreter installation and then licenses with Python (which is unknown). Java's my main guess for something good, but I still don't know how to compile Java stuff on Ubuntu.
Nix
« Reply #1947 on: March 21, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »

Let's say if I wanted to sell a creation. Python would be a little tedious as it also requires a Python interpreter installation and then licenses with Python (which is unknown). Java's my main guess for something good, but I still don't know how to compile Java stuff on Ubuntu.

That's a bad reason not to use a language. Install this package:

sun-java6-jdk

Then you can just use "javac" in the terminal to compile .java files. Or even better, install and use Eclipse.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1948 on: March 21, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

Python can be packaged too. Yes, there's work involved, but it's not going to take more than a week or two to figure out solutions. The actual downside, as I see it, is that Python is heavyweight(at least a few megs, IIRC).

Either way, you'll have to be crossplatform to succeed commercially, because the Linux game market is still tiny.

Nix
« Reply #1949 on: March 21, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »

Python can be packaged too.

I believe you're using the term "package" differently than I am.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1950 on: March 21, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »

Python can be packaged too.

I believe you're using the term "package" differently than I am.

cx_Freeze?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1951 on: March 21, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »

* waits for the android emulator to finish rebooting... AGAIN *

Pretty certain I've spent several times as long on this porting project fighting with the tools as I have writing/researching code.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1952 on: March 21, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »

Android continues to find new and fascinating ways to block me from doing basic things! Here's the one for tonight, and it doesn't even appear to be NDK-specific:

Although Android devices support GL ES 1.1 (and all devices that could possibly ever run the code I'm writing are ES 2.x), the emulator only supports GL ES 1.0, something I'm unsure whether any Android device except the g1 has ever used. This is important for my purposes because it means no glGetFloatv, which means I cannot fetch the opengl matrices, which means I cannot convert screen coordinates to OpenGL coordinates.

Now the funny thing is, if this were a restriction of actual android devices, I could totally work around this, because I've already got this system for doing transformation matrices in CPU that I use in ES 2.0 mode and I could just use that to keep copies of the matrices that I use when converting coordinate systems. But since this will never come up on an actual device it's not worth the effort and code bloat that would inflict. So it looks like I'm going to be writing some crazy manual conversion hack that is used only on Android and only in the emulator so I can still do basic testing...

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1953 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »

Android continues to find new and fascinating ways to block me from doing basic things!

so does my computer shutting down randomly

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumble
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1954 on: March 21, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »

Android continues to find new and fascinating ways to block me from doing basic things!

so does my computer shutting down randomly

That sounds pretty inconvenient too, really

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 22, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »

I am so stoopid.

I've only just noticed - after more than six months - that Unity's Vector3 and Vector2 classes are not vectors of Numbers. Facepalm

They nearly are, in that they're vectors of floats and Numbers are doubles... but now I'll have to review my ENTIRE CODEBASE to see if there's anywhere else besides the bug I just fixed where this discrepancy matters.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1956 on: March 22, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »

They nearly are, in that they're vectors of floats and Numbers are doubles... but now I'll have to review my ENTIRE CODEBASE to see if there's anywhere else besides the bug I just fixed where this discrepancy matters.
What happened?

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 23, 2011, 05:43:29 AM »

What happened?
Oh, nothing very exciting. I had a subsystem which detected whether a mouse update needed processing by comparing the last known mouse data with the newly submitted mouse data. The last known data was being stored in a Vector2, so the update was happening every frame.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1958 on: March 24, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »

I've spent weeks, off and on, trying to figure out why my game's current prototype was throwing me weird collisions, and today finally realized what simple little line of code I'd left out and fixed it. With the objects connecting properly to the ground and reacting to gravity, I discover for the first time that they won't move along the X-axis for unknown reasons.

It's like finally driving my car out of a ditch and into a tree.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1959 on: March 24, 2011, 11:48:54 PM »

OpenSL.

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic