Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 09:46:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to Promote My Game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to Promote My Game?  (Read 1189 times)
Baobab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »

I'm coming up to my second commercial release, a simple but unique puzzle game for mobile phones, and hopefully PC as soon as possible. My first game I didn't promote at all, and it got as much attention as I expected, almost none.

But for this game, I want to actually attempt to promote it. The problem is I don't have a lot of ideas for how to do that. I plan on making a trailer, and emailing as many game blogs that are relevant to this game as I can find. But other than that, I'm clueless.

If anyone has some suggestions for what else to do, or for how to do the things I've mentioned best, I would be most appreciative.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »

I find this list pretty useful.
http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-indie-game-marketing/

But there is no guarantee though. Just do the best you can!

Baobab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

One idea I had was that you could give the game slightly cheaper if ten of the person's friends put in a redeem code. Like MMO's, where they give bonuses if you spread the game. Just thinking...

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
richie
Level 0

the catalyst for change is a vending machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »

I am wondering the same thing.  I just read through and posted on another thread on the same topic.  There are some interesting ideas there: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29257.0

We are about to release a game on Desura.  When we released it on Xbox Live Indie Games we emailed a lot of the blogs that covered XBLIG games and some that did not.  We ended up getting a good number of reviews and some nice reviews, but it did not really translate into sales at all.  I have heard that XBLIG is weird like that, (I cannot say about other stores/platforms, it was our first game, so you may have much better success with reviews generating sales), but I am trying to think up ways to get people to know about the game outside of reviews. 

One idea I had was that you could give the game slightly cheaper if ten of the person's friends put in a redeem code. Like MMO's, where they give bonuses if you spread the game. Just thinking...

I like the idea of giving away/reducing the cost of the game if someone helps raise awareness.  Even if it does not increase sales much, creating a fan base is probably great in the long term to help with sales and promotion.

I do art, design and some code.
@pjchardt
trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »

I find this list pretty useful.
http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-indie-game-marketing/

But there is no guarantee though. Just do the best you can!

Thats a really good link.  Will try this for my next release.  Put it this way its 800% more work than I have put into previous efforts.

PDS271
Level 0

Dad. Gamer. Professional.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »

That link has some great resources in it, and a lot of good information. I also have a few quick suggestions that may help to stir some ideas:

• Create a website that is aimed at the type of person who would play your game
  • The website should have a mobile version with only the most important aspects of your game included - In the US alone this year there will be 100 million tablets sold, never mind smartphones. And people access content on these more than anything else.
  • Create a Twitter account for your game and follow people that would like to play your game. Twitter is a great place to interact with your audience
  • Make sure your videos are top notch - People love video and it is more and more becoming a standard on every type of device out there. Make something that people will want to show their friends, not just a few seconds of your game being played out of context

There are a ton of other things to do and a lot of them are listed in on that linked page. I am just trying to get some ideas rolling :-)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic