Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:18:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines for Indie Developers
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines for Indie Developers  (Read 373645 times)
AllenPestaluky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »

http://www.gameplay3d.org/ should be added to the open source list. It doesn't do networking, and is still in development, but shows a lot of promise and runs on most newer mobile platforms.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »

Torque3D will be released as OSS under the MIT license. It will be hosted on Github.
Source: http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21875

I guess that this would make it one of the best choices for someone who doesn't want to buy any engine (or doesn't have money for it).
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »

It is one of the more professionally used open-source engines, but I wouldn't say it's one of the best open source engines per se (to me). I last tried it years upon years ago, but I didn't really like it very much. Maybe things changed since then.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »

even free, it's not very good, I think unity is much better

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »

It doesn't use any crappy entity/component programming model which might be a factor for some people (like me).
wademcgillis
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

AND ME
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »

I don't like unity's stupid component model either but torque is full of hidden bugs and one day you might encounter some sort of game breaking bug and the only solution will be to go and try to fix the C++ code of the engine.

wademcgillis
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »

I'm not planning on using Torque anyway, I was just agreeing with "crappy entity/component programming model"
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »

Does Torque3D have a decent particle system editor (and maybe runtime)? I've been looking to add something to my own framework, but really don't want to spend the time to write an editor from scratch.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »

I'm not planning on using Torque anyway, I was just agreeing with "crappy entity/component programming model"
Many developers love unity and they seem to be very productive with it. It also seems there is a high variety of different commercial games created wit it. I am not using unity but I would like to know what you don't like about its software-creation model.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »

it comes packaged with bugs for one thing

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2012, 02:12:52 AM »

I don't like unity's stupid component model either but torque is full of hidden bugs and one day you might encounter some sort of game breaking bug and the only solution will be to go and try to fix the C++ code of the engine.
The fact that it's open-source and will be hosted on Github IMO invalidates this. There are many people using that engine and now they will be able to fix bugs in it and expand it. And if you really found some game breaking bug than you can fix it by yourself or easily post it as an issue on the Github page and somebody will probably try to fix it (and I'm not even taking into account the fact that the original developers will still be working on it).

Also, you can use C++ and not C# which is again a big plus for some developers (like me again).
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 16, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »

it comes packaged with bugs for one thing
I am asking why some dislike the software-creation-concept in unity, not bugs.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2012, 11:12:09 AM »

Just a heads up for anyone looking for an engine that Shiva3D is currently half price.  Been having a look at it recently since the latest update allows for native code development and noticed the sale was on.  For that price I figured I'd give it a spin.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »

The winter promotion has been there for like a year already...
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »

The winter promotion has been there for like a year already...

Cheesy rightio.  Haven't been on their website in such a long time I didn't know.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »

So it's here. Torque3D was released under the MIT license including examples/templates.
Release info
Code on Github
Documentation

You should update the tables and notes, Mikademus Wink
el_diablo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:18 AM »

Any thoughts on iTorque2D?
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2012, 02:32:09 AM »

Any thoughts on iTorque2D?

From what I've heard from a game dev from one company, it's the worst iOS game engine ever existed and you shouldn't touch it unless you hate yourself.

el_diablo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2012, 03:02:31 AM »

Thanks, I thought it could have its problems, as its not mentioned as a competitior very often. I guess I will try Moai as it seems very flexible, but very low level also (for good and bad).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic