Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:43:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSTRAFE®
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: STRAFE®  (Read 33260 times)
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »

Great write up of your music process.  Music is oft overlooked in these devlogs.

I don't have any advice on how to overcome the troubles that have befallen your project.  I've had an artist go silent on me before, but it was a temporary thing.  I'm pretty sure this artist had just stretched himself too thin.  In my opinion it did effect the final outcome of the art he produced for me.  I would write very detailed descriptions of the art I needed and the when he submitted the art it was clear that he hadn't read carefully.  This of course lead to frustration and wasted effort on his part having to redo things.  When you find an artist that is good and RELIABLE, man, you hold onto that one because he or she is gold!

Keep at it though.  This is a sexy project and hopefully you can attract other artists.

Thanks! I hope you were able to recover from losing that artist. I'm okay with letting talent go if they want to. It's like you said if they mentally check out then there will be a lot of time wasted fixing small errors that could have been avoided. For me it's okay for someone to quit but it's not okay to go silent and avoid contact. It feels really disrespectful to me and my team to string us on for weeks.

Also thanks for the kind words, we have no intention of stopping and we won't let these issues effect the quality of the game... although it is effecting our timeline.
Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2014, 08:21:29 AM »

Hey Gluntronics, good to see this project is still moving ahead despite all the roadbumps along the way. You have an excellent project here, and many people are looking forward to it. So keep at it! You definantly have me psyched!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:49:56 PM by Nu-Type » Logged
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

Hey Gluntronics, good to see this project is still moving ahead despite all the roadbumps along the way. You have an excellent project here, and many people are looking forward to it. So keep at it! You definantly have my psyched!

Thanks! You're words are very encouraging!

We had received overwhelming good news in the last couple of days! Thibault (our lead artist!) may have recovered enough to rejoin the project! Also we are nearing content completion on the secret level for the first area. I don't want to ruin everything but since we haven't updated this with new art recently here's some teases!

These sprites are from our amazing artist Jerom!

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »

The exit tubes for the levels. This is an important and sentimental prop for us because this is the first prop our artist made after recovering enough to rejoin the team! We're back on track getting new art into the game and we're incredibly excited about that.

We've also made some significant breakthroughs on our persistent gore system! We have figured out a way to mess up the performance without heavily impacting performance.
markollivrin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 01:18:22 AM »

Looks promising. I really like the pixel-art style and the way you are using it.
I'm really curious about the feeling a player may have diving in such a pixelated world with FPS view mecanisms.

I mean, I played minecraft a lot, but this game of yours, as I can guess, will offer a dense atmosphere, maybe a tiny bit "darker" than other pixelated-3d games I've played before. (not so many I must admit, since I'm not a "hardcore" gamer Smiley )
Anyway, i will look into future posts.

And thanks for the tip about your 32x32 pixel per square meter scale.
I am on the process of making visual choices for a game mockup of my own and this will be of a great help.

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »

Über-Gore © Tech Sneak Peek

From the start, a huge goal for STRAFE®  has been to make the player feel as powerful and impactful as possible.  This included a lot of gameplay and design decisions yada, yada, yada… To cut to the chase, we wanted gallons of BLOOD and pounds of GIBS and it had to be persistent.  Lone Wolf and Cub style arterial squirts and sprays that paint the world, drip from the ceiling and run down the walls.  
Since STRAFE®  is both procedural and 3-D, it is super important that we do all we can to keep the player from getting lost.  In a 2-D world it is a bit easier for the player to keep mental track of where they’d been (I was going right, now I’m going left).  During combat in STRAFE®, the players destruction paints a room red so getting lost is no longer a problem. Players will leave their mark and then move to clean rooms to make a new mess.

I experimented with three approaches decals, projected mesh’s and a blood map/shader deal.
When the game was first coming together and the levels were being grey boxed it seemed like maybe we could get away with some clever decaling.  Sweeping areas where blood was landing and making some simple decisions to do an auto tiling style thing with a few sizes.  Smallest around the edges and  larger tiles working inward.  As levels grew and the geometry got more complex/less predictable the fantasy of using any “large tiles” to save calls fell apart.
I saw a post showing a decal system that was projecting decals and building mesh’s that wrapped around the geometry they hit.  The one I saw wasn’t meant for runtime and after poking around it was pretty clear that modifying and combining a ton of mesh’s wasn’t going to work out.  Definitely a slick tool for static decals though.

The bloodmap approach I ended up going with is definitely the most immediately intuitive.  The concept is the whole worlds a canvas and you can paint it.  We’re already baking lightmaps so we can just use parallel UV’s from that and draw the blood in shader.  Updating a bunch of textures and pushing them to the GPU every frame is crazy slow.  So the biggest obstacle was compressing our bloodmap data in a way that was fast to encode and decode by both CPU and GPU operations.  This way we can modify our bloodmap encode it to a tiny file then push it to the GPU and have it decode and draw without the performance bottleneck.  After some managerial optimizations the bloodmap model was in a good enough place to start playing around in our procedural world!  Definitely still room for optimizations but fun to play with.

Our blood is smart. It behaves differently dependent on a surfaces orientation. For instance if blood hits the wall it will procedurally run down the wall.

If blood hits a flat surface overhead the blood will begin to form droplets and when they reach a certain size they will fall to the ground creating a bigger mess.

Yeah we love this feature

The blood is only half the fun, we’ve used a more conventional approach for the physical GIBS. When a portion of the enemy is damaged enough we remove that part from the enemies body and spawn in that body part in physics to blast off. This process is accompanied by spawning in little meat chunks and some bloody bursts and sprays!
Keep in mind this is still early on and using mostly programmer art for the blood and GIBS. We just got too excited to not share some gore! We intend for each of the 3 weapon types to have different style blood emitters, (shotgun wounds creates multiple blobs of blood where a clean railgun shot will create a concentrated blood spray with some distance!) We will be adding some simple specular highlights  to give the blood that wet sexy shine. We also plan on a bunch of fun little elements like tracking blood around after walking through puddles as well as secret easter eggs to discover!  

Video Here -

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2014, 01:59:22 AM »

Awesome stuff! Blood and gore are always the most fun thing to develop for me Evil

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2014, 02:04:51 AM »

ah this is looking very sweet. I'm afraid the name Strafe might not help you in google searches. What about a subtitle or something. Can I find you easily on the internets? Where can I go to know as soon as a demo comes out Wink

And what's with the (r) after Strafe? Is that cause it's registered or is it part of the name of the game?

On STEAM »
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »

ah this is looking very sweet. I'm afraid the name Strafe might not help you in google searches. What about a subtitle or something. Can I find you easily on the internets? Where can I go to know as soon as a demo comes out Wink

And what's with the (r) after Strafe? Is that cause it's registered or is it part of the name of the game?

Hey Migrafael! You can find us at www.strafe1996.com, www.strafedevblog.com or @strafegame on twitter and facebook!

We're hoping as we continue development and more people hear of the project we start becoming easier to find. The ® is because the name is a registered trademark but we use it as a joke (although we do have the legal trademark).
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »

Getting ready to hit Kickstarter this month in hopes of raising development funds so we can work full time on STRAFE® and hire some new people. Here's some highlights from what we've been capturing.

Fresh Mozzarella
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe

What are you doing reading this go go go go go

games
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »

dope game.

backed.

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »

dope game.

backed.

Thanks man! I appreciate
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »

sick

dat trailer doe, getting all de boote
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

That trailer.  THAT TRAILER.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Pastywhite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2015, 04:40:35 PM »

I honestly think that's the best trailer I've ever seen for a kickstarter. It's like.......Sam Raimy good.

Check out our MMORPG project at https://www.patreon.com/ghostmantis
Polygonzo
Level 0

Hide your wings in a ghost tower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »

The trailer, obviously hot, but the side-by-side comparison between concept art and in-game is a brilliant touch. You guys are marketing wizards.
Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »

Thanks everyone! Every joke and detail we put into this thing has been recognized. It feels good to know that the people who like this game have an eye for detail and get our sense of humor.

Back us or not, I hope you enjoy what we're making because we're having a blast making it.
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »

Thanks everyone! Every joke and detail we put into this thing has been recognized. It feels good to know that the people who like this game have an eye for detail and get our sense of humor.

Back us or not, I hope you enjoy what we're making because we're having a blast making it.

Been keeping a nosey on this for a while…

In previous posts you've gone quite in depth with your descriptions on your workflow and I'd be fascinated to read about the work involved for the production of the trailer. For the last project I worked on, I did a live action trailer which was stupid fun and for the most part, pretty cheap to accomplish.

Very best of luck with the Kickstarter (And congrats on the shoutout by Romero).

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »

Fuck this game and your Kickstarter...

I've backed it... This game better physically mutilate me.

This is (literally) the 100th project I've backed. It's the best trailer of any.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic