Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 08:06:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKaiju Panic by Mechabit Ltd
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Kaiju Panic by Mechabit Ltd  (Read 19488 times)
HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »

Wow, this game looks great.
Just wondering, what do you use to create the animations?
They're very nice. Can't wait to play it.

Gentleman

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 03:23:56 AM »

Wow, this game looks great.
Just wondering, what do you use to create the animations?
They're very nice. Can't wait to play it.

Gentleman

Thanks!
We use Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, 3DS Max, Unity3D

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »

Hey guys, quick question:

Which is the better title?

Kaiju Panic

or

Monster Panic

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »

Kaiju is only recently a recognizable term to most people. If you wanna get traffic, use Monster.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »

I like Kaiju Panic a lot more. Monster Panic sounds like it could be about anything. Even if people don't know what a Kaiju is, it sounds vaguely Japanese, which is more than can be said for "monster." People might think you're ripping off of Pacific Rim, though.

If you're in the position to change the name, you could probably make it even better, but I think it's pretty good as is.

Alliteration/assonance are always fun, so something like Kaiju Chaos or Kaiju Fighter (that one is really really bad, but it does have some assonance) can help it to be more memorable.
Also: rhyme, consonance, stuff like that. Basically anything that makes it sound cool. That kind of thing tends to stick in people's heads.

(disclaimer: I have had no marketing/advertising training, so I might have no idea what I'm talking about)

HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »

Why don't you make it very Japanese: Kaiju paniku? hehe
Anyway, I agree with sSuite, you should keep kaiju.
If it had been monster panic, I might not have clicked on this devlog.
Monster is a bit overused these days. An image of 'moshi monsters' springs to mind when I see it in the context of casual games.

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 03:44:22 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do like Kaiju and I'm probably asking in a weighted forum.
We're going to get people to fill in a questionnaire at Rezzed where we'll get a larger sample size and a broader spectrum of the public.

Guv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 03:56:32 AM »

I think Kaiju Panic sounds great, it's unique, it makes me ask "What's Kaiju mean?" and makes me want to find out more. When I first saw this dev log a while ago, I Googled Kaiju to see what it meant, I now remember both it's meaning and this dev log through seeing "Kaiju". If you do want something more approachable than Kaiju, then I definitely recommended thinking a bit harder about the name, rather than pseudo translating it to 'Monster Panic'.

'Monster Panic' sounds like a bad mobile app. Two common words used in titles, thrown together without much imagination. I mean no offence when I say that, it's just what it says to me. I just Googled 'Monster Panic' and the first result is actually a mobile app! https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/monster-panic/id330817076?mt=8 There's nothing about that title that'll root it in to my memory.
spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 03:59:47 AM »

Hah, that's good to know.
The question only really arose from a business meeting without much thought into an alternative as you say.

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 06:09:16 AM »

We got a mention on RPS!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/17/devlog-watch-kaiju-panic-somewhere-crosscode-more/#comment-1505609

Hitting the big time lol

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 03:05:59 AM »

We've had our stall confirmed as number 12 if anyone's got a map of the place.

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 03:11:39 AM »

Loving your concept and the monsters! Really ace!
spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 03:35:44 AM »

Loving your concept and the monsters! Really ace!

Thanks, a lot of that is in-game art

EDIT: oops my brain saw that as concept-art. We love giant monsters too  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:17:43 AM by spinaljack » Logged

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 03:59:31 AM »

I meant the concept of your game: defending a city from giant monsters, always a favourite for me :)Ace!
spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »

We have 1 computer running the game (number 12)

If you drop by we've got fliers and a questionnaire to help us collect feedback. It'll be really interesting to see people's reaction to the game first hand.

The game is progressing rapidly but it looks like we're going down to the wire on this one. We're really pushing hard to get the game ready as well as sorting out all the other preparations for Rezzed including stall decorations, posters, t-shirts, stickers and slightly less obvious things like public liability insurance...

On top of that we're part of the Liverpool Spark Up program that helps new businesses as we're woefully inexperienced in the whole running a business thing...

Sometimes I just want to sit and make games but all the boring stuff that goes on around that does need sorting out. After Rezzed we'll have some more time to knuckle down and get the beta out to pre-orders.

Speaking of pre-orders we'll be putting up a Humble Widget order page on our site in time for Rezzed!

$10 will get you a pre-order (release price $20) as well as beta access (estimated May) DRM-free.

$100 will get you a custom in-game character which will be part of everyone's game and also early alpha access (estimated April) DRM-free. Please do note that alpha means ALPHA and will be riddled with bugs and missing assets and unfinished mechanics but if you want to get in on the ground level this option might be for you.

1.0 release will be some time after beta where we'll also try to get on Steam greenlight for those of you who will only buy on Steam.

We'll also be selling art prints if that's your thing.

ARRD-ART
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:08 AM »

The cute side of carnage. Love it. :D
spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »

Having some really positive feedback from people at Rezzed.
Such a large range of player ability, playstyle and gamer knowledge, it's fascinating just watching people play the same 2 levels.
We've already implemented some of the suggestions we received on day 1.

We even got our first pre-order!

www.kaijupanic.com

Also contains some in-game footage of the Rezzed build

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:04:54 PM by spinaljack » Logged

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »

Here is an interview I did at Rezzed.
(I'm really poor at interviews)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:56:11 AM by spinaljack » Logged

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »

Got some more reviews/previews

http://www.zavvi.com/blog/game-review/rezzed-preview-kaiju-panic/

http://www.nerfed.co.uk/oli-rezzed-2014-part-2-gang-beasts-kaiju-panic/7481

http://5piecegamers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/kaiju-panic.html

Many thanks for the people who stopped by and gave us so many positive comments Smiley
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:57:25 PM by spinaljack » Logged

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:17 AM »

We are preparing a steam greenlight campaign but we don't want to launch it till we've got some more followers and a playable demo. The people who have already pre-ordered will get first access to make sure there are no bugs before we make it public.

We'll send out a newsletter as soon as it's up so we get the biggest surge as possible when it launches.

To sign up go here: http://eepurl.com/Sw3_v

We've already asked for greenlight tips but if anyone's got any more please let us know Smiley

We're also planning on exhibiting at Eurogamer Expo London in September but it's a lot of money... Anyone planning to attend or have suggestions about that? It's difficult to get the word out and marketing can make or break a game.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic