Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 10:17:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 905265 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8320 on: June 14, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »

I'm playing Imbroglio (deckbuilding roguelike) https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56122.0;topicseen a bit
and some Project Melee occasionally, but otherwise not much. I tried a bunch of games I had purchased on Humble before but mostly felt uninspired.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8321 on: June 14, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »

kirby robobot is really good

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: June 14, 2016, 08:33:29 PM »

Finally didn't get the worst possible ending playing dead of winter tonight. Still haven't "won" though.

Gamedragon
« Reply #8323 on: June 14, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »

I played Photopia the other day, it was pretty good.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: June 18, 2016, 03:47:13 AM »

the more i play mage knight, the more i wish there was a videogame equivalent of it. a turn-based strategy rpg about conquest and exploration, but without a separate tactical battle mode and with tough decisions every turn.

i guess heroes of might & magic 3 comes close-ish because the tactical component is very simple and it's more about how you explore the map and manage your resources. but it still has a lot of "filler" turns where you're just going through the motions, as computer strategy games often do. not knocking homm3 btw, it's one of my all time faves and a game i keep coming back to.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8325 on: June 18, 2016, 04:48:22 AM »

the more i play mage knight, the more i wish there was a videogame equivalent of it. a turn-based strategy rpg about conquest and exploration, but without a separate tactical battle mode and with tough decisions every turn.
I think Desktop Dungeons has a similar feel to it - the mechanics are different, but it's all about calculated attacks on monsters and "exploration as a resource". In DD you can move as much as you want, but revealing a new tile recovers HP/MP so you have an incentive to move as little as possible after each fight.

TBH someone should just take Mage Knight the board game and produce an exact digital adaptation of it. It would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: June 18, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »

good point about desktop dungeons actually! i guess dream quest is also broadly similar (at least its approach to deckbuilding is).

TBH someone should just take Mage Knight the board game and produce an exact digital adaptation of it. It would sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.

that's a very common request among MK fans, but y'know, wizkids is wizkids. honestly i wish vlaada would just replace all the wizkids IP in mage knight with something else, rename it and publish it with his "home" company CGE. throw out the miniatures and plastic mana crystals for all i care. then it'd have good chances of getting digital version. galaxy trucker already has one and through the ages and codenames are being ported as we speak. i guess retheming MK like that would be considered "bad form" tho, so it's understandable why he doesn't do it.

i am super pumped for the digital TtA btw. i love the mechanics of that game, but what i don't love is fiddling around with tiny cubes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:14:34 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: June 18, 2016, 06:19:44 AM »

btw, speaking of digital board games, i've been toying around with the steam version of twilight struggle lately and while i'm not very deep into the game's inner workings yet, i have to say im really impressed. great way to simulate political intrigue via extensive bluffing mechanics and the whole "the cards you play also benefit your opponent" mechanism.

i also found out that the co-designer of twilight struggle, ananda gupta, now works at firaxis and was apparently the lead designer on xcom: enemy within, which is one of the best expansions to any game ever imo. seems like one talented dude haha.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: June 18, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »

I still haven't got TtA yet and I've been meaning to check it out for years. I guess what's turned me off so far is knowing that it doesn't have the spatial aspect of moving dudes on a map that other civs tend to have. I'm sure it's a good game but I have trouble getting excited for games that don't *look* like anything on the table. Compare it to Clash of Cultures which is an absolute pleasure to watch (especially with the way the buildings fit together to form a city).

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: June 18, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »

i think TtA looks pretty nice actually, or at least the new 2nd edition does. im glad i waited for that before getting it. and i think it does a great job packing all of those civ mechanics into a game without dudes on a map. it abstracts those things in a way that is still very thematic. it plays differently from every other civ game i've played, sorta like mage knight plays very differently from other adventure games and deckbuilders.

well, every civ game other than Nations which is pretty much TtA Lite. i haven't played clash of cultures tho admittedly.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: June 20, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »

also, fast food chains are a world wonder in through the ages.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: June 21, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »

Finally beat final fantasy 5 and am starting ff6 for the first time

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8332 on: June 22, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »

RHYTHM HEAVEN MEGAMIX

is good but the structural changes are bad. also, no donk donk. still, more rhythm heaven is good rhythm heaven

and i beat kirby robobot. the final ex stage is worth collecting all the code cubes for. probably my favorite main-line kirby game since amazing mirror.

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8333 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »

Finally got around to playing Planescape: Torment. Didn't play much into it so I can't make any real tangible assessments but I really like the story and atmosphere so far.
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: June 26, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »

I'm playing Out there - omega edition.
I really really want to like it, but it's too random to really require any sort of strategy. It's like a lite-FTL with no combat: you just click on a planet and hope you'll find the right resources. There are just 4-5 different types of planets, which makes the experience quickly dull.
What a pity! The writing and the atmosphere really had potential.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: June 27, 2016, 05:46:37 AM »

there is SOME planning in out there if you know which systems contain which types of planets, which resources to stockpile etc. i think it's a good mobile game because it's not too deep or involving, but still fun. so perfect for bus rides, more or less. i would never play it on pc tho.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »

I've lost 2 straight days to Tropico 5 on the PS4. Never thought I'd be playing that type of game on a console. The controls are great. The last time I played tropico was tropico 1 so a lot has changed. The campaign is really fun the way your progress carries over from mission to mission.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8337 on: June 28, 2016, 04:37:03 AM »

After not doing much playing of games except the odd grinding DotA2 for hats, I picked up Thea: The Awakening in the current steam sale.
This game is actually really good! It's a base-builder and a tactics game. X-Com, but a little more casual. I only have two gripes - the research/construction depth is really poor and only provides passives (do x thing better!), and the combat engine isn't punchy enough to be worth doing much more than 'autoresolve' half the time.
But there's a lot of stuff going on in here and although the story is a little stereotypical, the writing is quite nice and provides just the right sense of urgency. The VO is good too.

The character classes are Warrior, Healer, Gatherer, and Craftsman. If they had kind of expanded on this and provided more depth to the class system as well as give each class usable abilities or something, this game would go from 'pretty good with a tepid combat system' to 'awesome'.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: June 28, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »

im playing age of wonders 3 with all the expansions and i think this game might be my favorite modern fantasy 4X. it certainly has the best map generator by a long shot, which is a big plus. almost makes me forget how badly ubisoft fucked up the heroes of might & magic series. my only gripe is that it's way too long but that's true for almost every 4X.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8339 on: June 28, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »

Endless Legend is pretty short; it runs on a timer. Was my biggest gripe with it.
AOW is pretty awesome. :D

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic