Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 07:50:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMurias
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Murias  (Read 6684 times)
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »

I made a test level based around the mockup example you made to see how far I could push my tileset and objects. I made quite a few new graphics in the process.

Featuring upside-down mushrooms.

Barch
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »

Now thats what I'm talking about, black silhouettes piecing the purple horizon. Cliffs and vines and all the masquerades of mushroom nature
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »

This is the boat the main character takes to get to Murias.

devi ever
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »

Looks great.  Would be fantastic to see it bobbing in the water with some creaking wood sounds and night time ambiance.
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »

Thanks. I actually wanted to make an animated gif to show the boat bobbing up and down, the fog rolling by and everything else, but I don't know of a good, free utility to do that on OS X. Sad

devi ever
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »

Thanks. I actually wanted to make an animated gif to show the boat bobbing up and down, the fog rolling by and everything else, but I don't know of a good, free utility to do that on OS X. Sad

I got just the solution for ya! > http://www.evological.com/evocam.html

Looking forward to see animations!

BTW.  Played through your other games.  Really enjoyed the artwork and style!
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »

This world you're making looks very nice

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »

I'm glad you've taken Barch's advice into account (even if the organic look was your original intention anyway). That test level already looks like such a nice place.
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »

Very atmospheric!  Kiss

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »

sexy pixels and great atmosphere made my day. followin'

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »

Intriguing, hope to see more of this.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »

Thanks everyone.

I decided that there will be four distinct areas in the game that you visit. One is the purple one I've been showing thus far. A few days ago I started working on the graphics for a second one, an olive-colored area with pyramids and trees that stem off of larger trees.

I've been struggling to make good trees. I attempted to make the leaves look similar to the ones in the purple area, but I haven't been able to produce anything that looks good under that style, and now I'm questioning whether those leaves were a good idea in the first place. My question is, do these look like garbage? And how do you think I could improve them? Trees have always been a problem for me to sprite.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »

I really like that tree, is it a solid object, or are only silhouettes solid?
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »

Yeah, only the silhouettes are solid.

matriax
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »

The last image need minus saturation in far objects and the enviorment needs to be a little small each layer to get more sensation of deep.

BTW, each time looks better!  Wink
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »

Looks great, but I think the background gradient for the sky is a bit strong. Smiley
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »

love it Tongue great atmosphere.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

I've been thinking about this game a lot, and I came to the realization (or maybe I just finally accepted) that I don't really know what I'm doing with this game. Unfortunately, I didn't think of what kinds of puzzles there would be, how the puzzles would be separated, how the areas would connect, what the goals of the game are, what I wanted to express, or much of anything except for what I have in the main post. I'm going to have to rethink everything and do a lot of prototyping until I have a cohesive skeletal idea that I can base everything on, and I need to make sure I don't make the this rookie mistake again in the future. I feel bad that I started a devlog thread prematurely, so I want to apologize to everyone.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »

I've been thinking about this game a lot, and I came to the realization (or maybe I just finally accepted) that I don't really know what I'm doing with this game. Unfortunately, I didn't think of what kinds of puzzles there would be, how the puzzles would be separated, how the areas would connect, what the goals of the game are, what I wanted to express, or much of anything except for what I have in the main post. I'm going to have to rethink everything and do a lot of prototyping until I have a cohesive skeletal idea that I can base everything on, and I need to make sure I don't make the this rookie mistake again in the future. I feel bad that I started a devlog thread prematurely, so I want to apologize to everyone.

Everyones been there. Way i made puzzle games in the past was to prototype an intial mechanic that is fun, then stretch it out to 15-20 levels (each a new puzzle) by fully exploring the possibilities of the mechanic.

Good way to do that is ask questions:
- what if it worked with this?
- what if some things were immune?
- what if it was reversed...etc

The more "dynamic" your mechanic is, the more puzzles you can probably get out of it.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

Thanks for the advice. There aren't really any mechanics in Murias other than walking, jumping and pressing down to interact with objects. So maybe that could be a problem since most of the puzzles I'd come up with either have been done before or won't be that compelling. I'm sure it's very possible to come up with some good puzzles with bare-bones mechanics, but I'll have to think about it.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic