Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411660 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 01:47:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject gnh20. English letsplay added
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Project gnh20. English letsplay added  (Read 91073 times)
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2012, 02:36:07 AM »

I played the game for roughly an hour. The start was slow, not much to do on the surface.

Ok, after cutting enough wood (i could'nt cut the tree creatures Smiley i digged a short horizontal tunnel into a hill and from there i digged a vertical shaft and placed ladders on the way down. I hit a small cave, which i explored,  but found nothing. Time for another horizontal tunnel. Smiley
On my way to the left (it is a looong tunnel now) i found coal, three good stones (they are rare?) and gold. Found another cave with lizards and one of them (a big lizerd) killed me. To my luck i saved before i started exploring the cave. Reloaded. I built a bridge above the lizards and continued my tunnel.
Then i noticed that the option to create a smelter was available. So i carved a room out and placed a smelter, only to got it destroyed by dampness, lol. I forgot to use wood to protect the smelter from the dampness. At this point i saved again (can i build my own save blocks?). Will play further later.

Some suggestions:
. mousewheel support for scrolling trough the actions list
. definable shortcuts keys for selecting actions?
. maybe another font (for me it's a bit hard to read)
. the caves are too unstable, can you make them a bit more stable?
. maybe messages like "you can build a smelter now" or something like that, it's easy to miss the updates in the actions list

Edit: In general i'm against tutorials, though if they optional it's no problem.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:42:53 AM by sk2k » Logged
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2012, 02:52:51 AM »

Recs, thank you! That criticism useful to me.

About the wiki and tutorial in the game I already explained why, unfortunately, I can not do it.

The player, yes, have no health. Only states - alive or dead.

Blocks fall from the fact that they have no sufficient contact with the stable blocks. Do the bridges are shorter and attach them to rocks.

Falling rocks from which you can not get away - my mistake, I correct the course. But the falling rocks will be: the cave must be dangerous. Although the greatest danger lies much deeper.

Thank you for your constructive feedback!

sk2k, oh, that's interesting. Although you did not get to the main adventures, is very useful to hear about your experience.

For your suggestions.
Unfortunately the mouse wheel does not work on my mouse, so I'm unlikely to implement it. Smiley

Many shortcut keys - this is why I have not been able to learn Dwarf Fortress. I think they only confuse the player. But yes, how to make a list of actions is more convenient - it's an urgent question, I agree.

Unstable caves - feature of this game. So I think that I will develop this way.

The font I know I need to redraw. So far, so I can not make time for this. You're right, the individual letters are bad.

Thanks for the feedback!
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2012, 04:24:33 AM »

Some question. Smiley
Does your engine use multi threaded cpu's or just one core?
Lizards can go trough blocks? I hope that's a bug and not intended.
Can i build support structures to prevent falling unstable blocks?
Why should i use ladders, when i can use wooden planks as ladders?

I played some more and found only ONE copper ore. Will i ever be able to build a wepaon? :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:56:47 AM by sk2k » Logged
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2012, 06:46:30 AM »

sk2k

No, the calculation single-threaded.

Lizards can go through the same blocks as the protagonist. Besides doors and water.

Ladders are made for aesthetics. They function the same as that of the boards.

To the building did not fall, you need to attach it to a stable stone, sandstone, and so. Moreover, the long poles and bulky design is easier to fall. Build a compact. A more reliable material than the boards - it's bricks. The most stable structure made of marble and malachite.

-------------

To all:

Please note, in the zero post a fresh build. There is fixed a critical bug.
1. Fixed a critical bug
2. Changed the behavior of the camera
3. Dwarfs shout replicas, when running after the hero
4. Stones do not fall so that it is not possible to evade
5. Slightly corrected shadow and back parts in the caves.
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »

Still playing and still "searching" for the main adventure. Smiley Resources like copper are extremly rare or i'm just unlucky. It's a bit boring now, due to the need to gather(mine)  rare resources.
I encountered water and lava. Water acts weird, not like water.

Btw. i think your engine would be ideal for a sci-fi game. Stranded on an alien planet with strange lifeforms and vegetation. You need to repair your ship and so you begin to explore the world to find out where you are and how you can repair your ship.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »

sk2k, I'm serious - this same thought came to me in the head.
Only more romance: a brave cosmonaut traveling alone among the stars, exploring distant civilizations.

The obstacle is this: currently playing in the world of fantasy. Gnomes, edged weapons. Redo it all - well, I do not know, very difficult.

But the idea of cosmonaut - I really like.   Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right I'll have to think about.

And what little resources - so it is a genre. This is idea was.

To me, when I was playing Minecraft - it was interesting to look for rare diamonds. And to collect the iron, which a lot - it was boring. So I thought: what if we make the basic resources such rare, as diamonds? Or even more rare?  Addicted

sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »

After playing roughly three hours i found only THREE cooper ore. The game got tedious and i was bored to death.

Nice looking surroundings are not all in a game. Give the player something to do. Place more ore so he can experiment and finally go out adventuring.
I can't do anything fun, just running around and placing planks and ladders. This got really boring after a while.

Out of pure boredom i activated the developer mode. The most copper ore is placed in the limestone layer and this layer is unaccessible for me, because of the inability to build the tools. I picked up TWO more ore coppers. They were reachable trough the limestone because of the high pickup radius.

Gold is largely available. Maybe you can give the gold a value, so the player can trade it for tools?

Just my observations for this play session.
retrohelix
Level 1

Hip hop array

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »

I will give this a proper play-through later, but after 15 mins of playing I can already tell how much I like it. I didn't think I'd get on with the way the world updates each time you press something, but it's actually very relaxing and still feels like a dynamic world.

I can imagine music like Solar Fields' fitting perfectly over the top of it.   

This gorgeous art style with a sci-fi setting would be incredible. Perhaps make it so you can build a ladder into space? Addicted
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »

I can imagine music like Solar Fields' fitting perfectly over the top of it.   

I was thinking the same. Some ambient music would fit this game well.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »

retrohelix, thanks! Yes, about the space and sci-fi, I think about it.

sk2k, listen, and what did not you go down lower? Surely there was no cave down? Digging tunnels in sandstone three hours - very boring. Facepalm

First, do not dig so much. Second - look deeper into the cave and go down!
All the adventures in the game are below. Much lower. Beg

And yes: activation of the developer mode you killed yourself whole interest in the game, congratulations.
Facepalm

Thank you for your description.

-------------

To all:
So what does that mean? No one is coming down to the caves, no one played for a long time?

Pfff...  Tired
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »

You are making a game with digging and not expecting the player goes digging?
Telling the player just to go down to find the "real" adventure is a bit strange. Smiley Why bother with digging in the game then?

The problem is, i (maybe also other playes) want to be prepared for adventuring and that's why looking/digging for resources is natural beahviour.

After i started several new games it get's boring to just go trough the caves so i just digg down to the limestone layer and then to the left or right to find a way into the lower sections.
Why should i go trough the caves then?  All between the start and the limestone layer is for nothing then? Maybe i'm just a dumbnut and not getting the idea of your game. :D

I hope i do not annoy too much you with my critics. Smiley I'm still playing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:37:44 AM by sk2k » Logged
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2012, 05:27:06 AM »

Telling the player just to go down to find the "real" adventure is a bit strange. Smiley Why bother with digging in the game then?
I'll try to explain. Digging in the game is present. But in order to remove a couple of blocks. Not for digging as much as large caves or tunnels. It's such idea. As the player explores the existing caves.

About what adventures below. The fact that in the generation of the world: the lower - the more objects are generated. This is done to ensure that the player had a goal: to go down. Should work a simple curiosity.

After i started several new games it get's boring to just go trough the caves so i just digg down to the limestone layer and then to the left or right to find a way into the lower sections.
Why did you start new games, rather than continuing the old one? You have not figured out how to work saves?

I hope i do not annoy too much you with my critics. Smiley I'm still playing.
Everything is ok, I am interested in any feedback.
Coffee

This gorgeous art style with a sci-fi setting would be incredible.
Still can not decide what to do with the medieval setting of: chests, knives, picks, building a forge ...
In general, the more likely the idea of ​​a planetary explorer, a cosmonaut - not be developed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:33:39 AM by sb3dgraph » Logged
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »

I'll try to explain. Digging in the game is present. But in order to remove a couple of blocks. Not for digging as much as large caves or tunnels. It's such idea. As the player explores the existing caves.

About what adventures below. The fact that in the generation of the world: the lower - the more objects are generated. This is done to ensure that the player had a goal: to go down. Should work a simple curiosity.

I understand what you are saying, but still, there should be a tiny bit more to do in the upper part of the map.
I think, in the game you need to communicate to the player, that he must go down (Where no man has gone before Smiley ) to find what he is seeking.

I know how saving a game works. Smiley As the magic books are limited, how about creating my own magic books, maybe from gold?

How about building wooden staffs? Using them against the green lizards would reduce the need to avoid them and so it would make the early exploration more fluid.

Btw. i finally found some more copper ore and built a sword from it.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »

Yeah, if it's your intention to make the player to go deep you should tell them in some way. What are you thinking of in terms of sound effects and music for this game?

Also nothing major but some sort of progress bar when starting a new game would be nice. I wasn't sure if the game froze or not for the 15 seconds I waited for the world to generate.

play hydlide 2
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »

sk2k, seagaia

About music and sounds, I was already defined. Here is a quote from the starting post: "Music in this game is not planned, because I love to listen a radio, and in-game misic I do not normally need."

About the fact that the game should indicate the final and intermediate goals - completely agree.

I hope that I will make at least a text description that the player needs to go down and what to do. But while the game is not ready to, something that can be read in the opening post of this topic.

These are the words to all: please, read the opening post before playing. Otherwise, you may do not understand the game.
Coffee

Screens of the map generation and loading will be at least a message that you need to wait. Please understand that while the game is at an early stage, many are not ready.
Shrug

Thank you!

-------------

In the meantime, I made the election to underground dwarfs.
They can choose a king, if they have no, or died. For the king, they slowly built the throne hall, and the king himself is able to talk to the player.

True, for now the king says random phrases. But in the future it will be possible to give quests. Probably. On the creation of quests I have not decided yet.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »

I'm on a Mac right now so I tried running this game in Wine, and guess what? It works like a charm. Just thought that might interest you.

Anyway, the graphics are absolutely stunning (the lighting effects in particular blew me away) but I think they could use a little more readability. It's often hard to see your character, especially underground.
impulse9
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »

Insanely good artwork. Shocked
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »

Can someone tell me how to get rid of the water ooze? It follows me wherever i go. I tried to lure it into lava, but it just extincted the lava.
sb3dgraph
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »

sk2k, that's it, a professional amicobuddy! Kiss
To get away from him, find a passage in one block, and place in this passage door.

You walk through the door, and he could not.

impulse9, thank you! Smiley This is always great to hear!

But I do not think that art so cool. And the gameplay is more important, what do you think?

C.A. Sinclair, cool!

The fact that under the earth, it is difficult to see enemies and protagonist - it is so intended.
Because I want the atmosphere of depth, mystery, riddle! This does not mean good character readability. What do you say?
Wink

Thank you for your comment!
Coffee
sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »

sk2k, that's it, a professional amicobuddy! Kiss
To get away from him, find a passage in one block, and place in this passage door.

You walk through the door, and he could not.

Hehe, i tried that already, but that thing found another way to reach me again. The cave system is too open. Hmm, maybe i should digg an extra room for it and confine it there.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic