Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:23:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRunners Grinders [Zelda-like E-coach]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Runners Grinders [Zelda-like E-coach]  (Read 11481 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »

God damnit, why do I have to have an older phone without fancy apps?

thatredant
Level 0

if(post.create){ thatredant.reply; }

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

Looks fun. Hopefully it'll get me doing some cardio...

Working on a resource-gathering realtime roguelike!

Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »

Ok, the rest of the update:

Week 5:
  • Continued on enemy behavior
  • Added "Gustface" a stone statue that can propell the icecubes with a gust
  • Animated boss
  • Added chest
  • Elaborated the event log. It now zooms to the location you entered

Week 6:
  • Filtering algorithms for GPS-coordinates
  • Multiplyers for mana regeneration. 2x for 11 km/h, 3x for 21 km/h and 4x for 28 km/h
  • Character selection screen
  • Light ray in which you can switch characters
  • Special ability for Hjalte: Invulnerability for 5 seconds and boosted movespeed
  • Global variables and general trigger entities for scripted events

This "Key-demon" is a reappearing mini-boss. To defeat them you need to fetch the small keys attached to them. With the keys you can open a number of lockers containing the demon's mortality-orbs.

Switching character! Here are all four characters visible  here. They have yet to be implemented in the game though.

Next up, I'll finish the boss and then start to work on some actual level design with the amazing editor I put so much effort to Wink
Also, cutscenes and intro sequence.
Also, stuff.
Also, face.

Lefty-concepty, righty-pixley, but bothey programmey.
Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »

The feeling of finally getting to use a tool that you've developed and put much effort into  Hand PencilTears of Joy ( <- Thats me making levels with a tablet )
Level design is so much fun!

Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »

Cutscenes!

Man, this would've been faster to progress on if there weren't so many hidden bugs and small features that needed to be fixed. Most of it is cleared now so I'm making progress on the story and level design very fast now :D

Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »

Once more I have a big update!

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm participating in Swedish Game Awards. I managed to get nominated, in two of the cathegories! The final haven't been yet so I'm still eagerly waiting for the results Smiley Wish me the best of luck!

There is one thing you guys should know about working really really hard for an extended period. After such a crunch time you should not ease on the lashes because else you will automaticly compensate for the previous time. My god I've been slacking off since the deadline of SGA.

I did however finally get to make a trailer. It's probably not what you expect, but it was fun to make to say the least Gentleman

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 03:52:05 AM »

Gameplay is looking really nice. Reminds me of Landstalker, one of my favourite games.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 04:29:34 AM »

Fantastic project, but for what platform are you developing this?

The way real life movement relates to in-game was a bit unclear at first.
But I think I get the gist of it now..
So basically you move IRL to discover locations, which you can then move to, back and forth, in-game.

Personally I really like the idea of having to move to a specific spot(IRL) for a quest or something, not the main quest, but some kind of bonus-quest.
Special Time limit events, where you have to go quickly between two places, would be a fantastic way to get people to actually run too.

Also, it's quite problematic if you happen to live on a small island, but I guess you can row around in a boat, lmao.
Something that's probably outside of the scope, both coding and time wise, of this project would be checking google maps to see where there is land, water, roads, etc.
But there's still the issue of stuff appearing in off-limit zones, like an industrial area, middle of an airport, someone else's backyard..

Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »

Thanks guys!

Currently I'm only developing it for Android phones (and I... guess you could play it by strapping a tablet to your belly).
I'll be looking for new teammates now and a larger team might let us develop it for iPhone at the same time.

There wont be any trouble of locations being located out in water or any other inaccessible place as the game can only place locations where you've previously been.
It would still be awesome to connect it with Google maps so that there can be places that are always tied to a specific location.

Ashkin
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 12:44:24 AM »

What happened to this? Where are you? Are you dead? Please don't be dead, I want this.
Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 02:37:38 AM »

Wow, thanks for writing! This inspires me to write a bit Smiley

So, unfortunately I don't really have any gameplay progress to show now. After the deadline of SGA I went into a slight depression and have been working very slowly. It's like all the negative feelings from my huge huge crunch finally catched up with me.

I did win in Swedish Game Awards though! Runners Grinders was awarded as "Best Serious Game"! The price ceremony was pure happiness for me, I got a lot of compliments for my work and a lot of contacts.

After the competition I had so much updates to write and so many people to contact, but it took the last of me. I was completely unable to do any work, took me one full day to complete an e-mail. :/

Now I've finally managed to gain control, and I'm starting to feel happy again. It's looking a bit dark for the game though. I'm running out of cash and have to find another occupation over the next month. If I can't find financing for my game that is. I'm currently looking for a publisher or financier. If I get financing I could finally compose a team again. I have constantly been looking out for new teammates, but I have been unable to find some guys that could dedicate enough time. The fact that I've gotten this far on my own seems to scare off people too :/ But I have some guys on the hook, and I know that if I had financing they would ditch their current occupation.

That's my story, as honest as it could be.

Ashkin
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

Sad to hear you're experiencing some troubles right now, man :c
Here's hoping you manage to get through them- financing this would be a great idea for any studio. Maybe look at that Indie Fund thing?
Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »

Ah, yes, it would be neat to get in on Indie Fund. They don't have an open submission so they'll have to learn about the game through game news, conferences and such. I haven't managed to gain any viral momentum yett so I'm afraid that's not very likely :/

I've been in touch with a couple companies since SGA, but it haven't gone any further yet.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2012, 05:36:31 AM »

COMPETITORS!!  Evil

Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:47 AM »

COMPETITORS!!  Evil

Bwahaha! If it helps you keep up the standard, then by all means, I'll be your arch-enemy Evil

I have to give you this, Journey to Hammerdale has given me a great deal of inspiration! Smiley

Gauss Jordan
Level 2

This world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »

Finally, it's released! A Kickstarter has happened!

Taking in Björn, a backend and server developer, made it possible to run a Kickstarter campaign. So, our campaign is now live at:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/292719246/runners-grinders

Help out in any way you can folks! Back the project to the max and spread the word! I'm really eager to continue full production on this game :D

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »

Awesome!
I don't think that logo works though, even though I know the game is named runners grinders I still read it as runner grinder..

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic