Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 02:03:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Color Info Dump Thread
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Color Info Dump Thread  (Read 5649 times)
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 04:57:31 AM »

Umm.. Why not?

Because that tutorial seems to suggest quite classic garagesale art color usage. It completely ignores sun colours and its relation to shadow colors on different colour surfaces. In that example that wooden shield is completely brown, and the plant completely green. There is nothing lively in those. The worst part is that he is talking about "realistic" colours and completely fails to execute it. And this is not from me, this is just basic color theory they teach at art schools. I'm not saying it is the truth of good colour usage, but when trying to achieve the results which for the color theory has been developed for, then it is worth noting.

Also he doesn't seem to know that the medium (pixel art) usually looks much better with different, experimental and unrealistic palettes. Like any visual art really...

Okay, thanks for the answer!
However, I dont quite understand your examples. You say that the shield is completely brown. But, his shadow colors have a hue towards the "cold" colors (blue) and the light color has a hue towards warm (yellow). So doesnt the color span of the wooden shield change quite alot? What makes you say it does not look lively? What needs to be different in your opinion?

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 05:24:41 AM »

A ray of light came through the clouds for me when JWK5 shared this:

For shadows you decrease the saturation, decrease the brightness, and decrease the color warmth (shift the hue towards ultramarine blue).

For light you decrease the saturation, increase the brightness, and increase the color warmth (shift the hue towards yellow)

The middle "shade" of your object (i.e. where it isn't really overwhelmed by light or covered in shadow) is the most saturated part (because light hasn't washed out its color and shadows haven't dimmed/dulled its color).
[/quote]

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »

I would say it depend on material and lighting condition, but that's a good rules of thumb for basic composition. I think some people took things too much to the letter (what is correct?) and don't allow themselves for creativity and more importantly expression. If you want to express some mood dull color ramping work perfectly. Some other people don't care enough and are just lazy though(why should I bother?) and it pretty much kill creativity and expression. It's all about the middle, and the middle start with "why and what" not "what OR why".

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »

Yeah, it's important not to be dogmatic about it. This is a good starting point for someone who has no prior knowledge of color(me). Since I've been practicing this I've had some fun having a bigger gap in between the hues when going from a lighter color to a darker color and vice versa. Also I've been trying out changing the ultramine blue and yellow extremes for different lighting conditions.

im9today
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »

i can post you about 16 million good colors for a palette
it wont mean anything
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »

You're right because that's not what he's asking for.

im9today
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »

You're right because that's not what he's asking for.
he linked to the nes palette in the very first post, i've got one with millions of times the art power
do your eyes glaze over when you open the tig forum tab
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »

I can't quote because I'm on a dinosaur of a phone, but he told you himself he was looking for advice on choosing a palette. I've seen your pixel work and know you have some great stuff brewing in your brain and more to contribute than sarcastic remarks. I'll just ask, how do you choose a palette? Smiley

im9today
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »

dartboard

(i am not responsible to damages to your darts as a result of this method_
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »

Unfortunately the eyes can't see more than 10 million colors

im9today
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »

you only need five
thats the big secret there put it in the op you only need five colors black red blue yellow  and red

topic done.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »

wrong: You need only 3 in additive and 4 in soustractive : P

im9today
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »

thats subtractive for those of you that dont speak some french

pourquoi ne pas simplement poster en francais tilbert?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »

Ah shit: SUBstractive Wink got

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »

I am amaze