Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 11:34:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 181319 times)
godsavant
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »

I think ROM CHECK FAIL would make for a pretty sweet stage. I don't think it would necessarily be that hard to make, either.
Oh my god, one of the best ideas I've heard of all day.

F*cking Warioware stage... Angry
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »

I think ROM CHECK FAIL would make for a pretty sweet stage. I don't think it would necessarily be that hard to make, either.
No. We have no chance of getting permission to use Nintendo and Atari game elements, and most people won't get the reference and will just think 'oh, Mario stage!'

The-Imp
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »

No. We have no chance of getting permission to use Nintendo and Atari game elements, and most people won't get the reference and will just think 'oh, Mario stage!'
We could replace it with Indie game references?
 Shrug
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »

It's possible. It might be hard to choose games that are simple and iconic enough to capture the feel of RCF, though.

godsavant
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »

ROM CHECK FAIL: Indie Edition? I think that's straying too far.

Although ROM CHECK FAIL would be awesome as a stage without all the copyright concerns, I think it was originally created as more of an homage to mainstream retro games than a nod to indie gaming. Good idea, but not applicable in any feasible way.
The-Imp
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »

Well If possible I'd think it'd be easy if the genres presented in ROM Check Fail were swapped for iconic games, it'd be fine.

Like replacing Asteroids with one of Cactus' shmups, like Clean Asia.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2009, 04:42:22 PM »

But then, I'm wondering how many people would even realise it was supposed to be RCF, unless they were told so by the game...

The-Imp
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »

But then, I'm wondering how many people would even realise it was supposed to be RCF, unless they were told so by the game...
Each level should have a name, amirite?
 Shrug
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »

Well, yes. But what I mean is that the level shouldn't be recognizable only by its name.

I also don't feel that the switching of different settings/games would add much to the level. RCF really only contains 3 elements: Player, enemies, and blocks. I don't see how the first two could be implemented in an Indie Brawl stage. So you are basically left with a vanilla stage, that changes appearance every now and then.

godsavant
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »

So you are basically left with a vanilla stage, that changes appearance every now and then.

I think we can manage to find a game that emphasizes this concept enough to warrant a standalone stage. Any ideas, guys?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2009, 09:09:22 PM »

I'd also like to say that I think a lot of our stage concepts are very busy with traps and moving things, and it's important to have some vanilla stages too. I just don't like this particular stage idea for some reason. Shrug

godsavant
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2009, 04:18:23 AM »

I'd also like to say that I think a lot of our stage concepts are very busy with traps and moving things, and it's important to have some vanilla stages too. I just don't like this particular stage idea for some reason. Shrug

Did we mention turning stage hazards off? I remember it coming up in the Bonesaw stage thread somewhere, what with the bombs and cannons and all.
shig
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2009, 04:53:05 AM »

Knytt should be that one stage that is huge and has absolutely no traps or hazards.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:51:12 AM by shig » Logged
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2009, 05:49:04 AM »

How about not a RCF level, but a level that uses a RCF-inspired mechanic?
It should be easy to do - make three generic level layouts that can be switched at random, each utilizing a mixture of already existing tiles from other stages?

It would make for a bit of a mumble jumble, but I think it could work. Also maybe people get it by not associating with the different games but with the changing mechanic itself..?

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
medieval
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2009, 05:56:17 AM »

It would be a "Farbs" level.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2009, 06:02:56 AM »

Did we mention turning stage hazards off? I remember it coming up in the Bonesaw stage thread somewhere, what with the bombs and cannons and all.
Yeah, I think this would be a super good feature and not at all hard to implement.

medieval
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2009, 06:05:04 AM »

I think turning hazards off isn't nice  Noir
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2009, 06:12:06 AM »

Um... why? (if you're being serious)

In case it isn't clear, we're talking about an option in the menu to toggle stage hazards just like you would toggle items.

medieval
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »

Well, I think it takes away from each stage, and I think it would be better if we just made a couple of hazardless stages.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2009, 08:38:22 AM »

Actually, I think Yama has a pretty good point. Turning off hazards for some stages might be more difficult than you would think.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic