Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412073 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58484 Members - Latest Member: bigdog243

June 26, 2024, 01:48:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 181941 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »

Awesome.

Khosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2008, 10:47:20 PM »

So, still hanging around.  Tossing in an idea for a DF-styled arena.  There was one suggested earlier about randomly generated caverns, which I do like, but I had a different take.  Not the most hashed out idea, but it seems fun enough, so here goes.

Stage starts out boring.  Nothing much to it, just a grassy plain, some dirt and a few trees maybe.  Maybe a cliffside if you're feelin' ballsy.  Anyway, the 'big thing' with the stage is that the players can dig themselves a playground.  Large squares of dirt (on the scale of being slightly larger than the largest character), and later on rock, can be bashed away by players to form tunnels.  Dig too deep and, well.

The way I'm thinking of it, it's a custom stage that you build as you fight.  So it can quickly become very dangerous for certain characters, depending on how things unfolded for them.  For example, if you're playing Quote and you've somehow managed to dig an L-Bend that your opponent can't escape from, you're in a very favorable position.  But if you're Quote and you've managed to dig a system of tiny, loopy tunnels, then it ends very badly for you until you dig a better system.

So, there's two main ways I've thought of to implement it.  Easy, dirty way is to only keep track of the squares that have been dug out.  More complex, but in my opinion more fun way to do it is to keep track of squares and walls between each square.  Added benefit is you can have something that looks like this:

Not the greatest representation, but I think it gets the idea across.

Other general thoughts: Dirt should fall away very quickly, so the fight gets underground ASAP; maybe two strong attacks (Quote's Missile Launcher, Naija's Spike Seeds, you get the idea) should remove a dirt square and one strong attack should remove a wall.  Once the fight hits the rock level is when things should slow down; instinct says it should take twice as many attacks to knock out a rock square/wall as it did to knock out a dirt one.  The terrain will still change once you hit the rock level, but it's going to be at a vastly reduced rate.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2008, 11:22:10 PM »

Uh, I like the idea, but it's quite similar to what we had in mind for Clean Asia. I think it might be better to make Clean Asia the destructible stage, and the DF stage could be randomly generated instead.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2008, 12:12:47 PM »

Sounds cool, but I would make it with a solid, undestructable rock bottom instead of a deadly floor, it would be annoying if you happened to excavate a level with some kind of impossible jump where you always fall to your death, not to speak about when all the blocks are destroyed...

Kill me if this has already been covered, but I'd like to have a level from one of my favorite indie games, An Untitled Story by YMM. There are a bunch of nice environments to choose from, including highgrounds, sky city, dark grotto, firecage, nightrun and so on Kiss

And talking about YMM, have anyone mentioned Ogmo?
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2008, 08:24:25 AM »

Just want to bring up an idea to throw a bone to bytejacker. They give recognition of many indie games, and alot of them come from these forums. An idea is to have a stage similar the warioware stage from real brawl. It could take place on the roof that the show is always on, and then could switch to a bunch of free indie of the weeks from the show. That way recognition could be given to a bunch of games that don't warrant their own stage. It could even have the music and everything! It sounds like it would be a hard stage to make though.
medieval
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »

I can't say that would be a very good idea, since it would make for a heap more people to ask permission to.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »

I can't say that would be a very good idea, since it would make for a heap more people to ask permission to.

Still, it's merely an email barrage away. And I do agree, it could be a cool stage for a later version. Giving love to both Bytejacker AND some of the littlest indie games all at once could be rather cool. Erm, obviously it would be for a later build - it'd take a fair bit of work. We'd need a dedicatee or three to slave away on it.

Speaking of a dynamic stage, and bouncing off that last idea, Poppenkast stage, anyone? I mean, a bunch of them visit here, anyways, so the Asking wouldn't be as problematic. There are a great many small but awesome games produced by those folk.
godsavant
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

Just want to bring up an idea to throw a bone to bytejacker. They give recognition of many indie games, and alot of them come from these forums. An idea is to have a stage similar the warioware stage from real brawl. It could take place on the roof that the show is always on, and then could switch to a bunch of free indie of the weeks from the show. That way recognition could be given to a bunch of games that don't warrant their own stage. It could even have the music and everything! It sounds like it would be a hard stage to make though.

Too much trouble given the mire we're in, but if we've got time later, why not ask them to cover Indie Brawl in one of the episodes?  Smiley
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »

Trilby needs love. Noir

Rooftops (Art of Theft)
A wide stage taken up by buildings with various passages between them, but most fighting will take place on the rooftops. Includes guards who will sound the alarm if they see a fighter (which does nothing), then stand around looking scared waiting to be offed. There should be safes that open and drop an item after being hit enough, then close after a time. Somewhere there could be a refrence to the Chzo Mythos, like the four-pointed star on an alley wall or a murder scene visible in one of the rooms of the buildings.

There should also be a Chzo Mythos level for Cabadath, either the hotel, the Hub, something like that.
medieval
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »

Ruins (Lugaru)

The ruins from Turner's home village. Can't think of anything that would make this level distinct though.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »

Ruins (Lugaru)

The ruins from Turner's home village. Can't think of anything that would make this level distinct though.
The tall stone tower might actually make for a very interesting vertical landscape.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »

There should also be a Chzo Mythos level for Cabadath, either the hotel, the Hub, something like that.
2 ideas:

1.) The room with the treestump. It would be a very small map, but the map could (plausibly) change from time to time. I mean, in the game, it just sorts of changes colors to a sort-of-grey and back, but we could like, warp the players to cabadth's old house or something.

2.) Chzo. You know, with all the eyes in the background, pits to both sides and maybe Chzo firing his laser at the players from time to time.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »

How about the hotel lobby from Trilby's notes? It could switch between the two worlds every so often, and the 'dark world' could have more hazards.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »

I think that it would be cool to have a stage based on Evacuation ( http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4177.0 ). The mechanics would translate pretty well into a stage. The stage would be divided into perhaps four quadrants. The floor in the middle of the stage would be drop-through, while the wall in the middle would have doors that open automatically when a player approaches. In each quadrant is a button that a player can hit to make a door in the opposite quadrant open and deposit anyone inside that quadrant into deep space. Or perhaps a better pattern would be that each button affects the quadrant immediately clockwise of it. They would be colour-coded so that it's clear.

The other reason this would be cool is because Benzido makes pretty awesome indie games, but none of them except Evacuation have anything that could be easily represented in Indie Brawl.

Anyway, just another suggestion for the far future. Tongue

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »

There really should be a Kenta Cho stage, possibly with his face showing up in low-poly form wrecking indie havok.

And although it would be hard to code (I'm just guessing this), a homage stage to everyday shooter with randomly appearing destructible elements would be absolutely incredible.  Imagine random little flying/crawling abstract robots that made beautiful music when destroyed.  If he likes the idea, Jon Mak may even be nice enough to give a few hints about the coding aspect.

Oh, and Crayon Physics; that's definitely a must.

I'll try and make some rough sketches of a few of these ideas and post them.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2009, 07:33:04 AM »

I'm surprised that this idea hasn't been mentioned (as far as I can tell) but I think the tower from Mighty Jill Off would be a fantastic addition. It would scroll of course, either smoothly and automatically or propelled by the players' jumps more like the original game. Not sure about all those spikes though, is there an issue there?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »

Good idea! The spikes really wouldn't be a problem, we could just take them out. There are plenty of spots in the tower that aren't like that.

medieval
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:40 AM »

I don't think it should be scrolling though. I know that the game revolves around jumping to the top of the tower, but just a static stage with some of those spider-dudes, and maybe some spikes would be enough.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »

I think ROM CHECK FAIL would make for a pretty sweet stage. I don't think it would necessarily be that hard to make, either.
The-Imp
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »

I think ROM CHECK FAIL would make for a pretty sweet stage. I don't think it would necessarily be that hard to make, either.
Oh my god, one of the best ideas I've heard of all day.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic