Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411715 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:31:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEitr - [ Action RPG ] [E3 Trailer released!]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Eitr - [ Action RPG ] [E3 Trailer released!]  (Read 166882 times)
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »

So excited to play this game when it comes out! looking really great! good job! and that level editor! wow!  Shocked  I'm learning Unity right now. Can you talk a bit about how you built the levels and how you made the level editor?

I concept the level layout/design first in Photoshop using basic images just to get an idea and feel of how the level will play out, then use the Level editor to build it, Aedous, the coder built the level editor in Unity, I'll ask him if he can post a little bit about how he built it for you!

Kent Nishimori
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »

So excited to play this game when it comes out! looking really great! good job! and that level editor! wow!  Shocked  I'm learning Unity right now. Can you talk a bit about how you built the levels and how you made the level editor?

I concept the level layout/design first in Photoshop using basic images just to get an idea and feel of how the level will play out, then use the Level editor to build it, Aedous, the coder built the level editor in Unity, I'll ask him if he can post a little bit about how he built it for you!

That would be awesome! thanks!
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2014, 01:21:11 AM »

Awesome work so far guys, I sent you a mail about continuing work on the soundtrack.

I'd love to still be a part of the project if you'd have me!

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40:19 AM »

So one of the things we've had a lot of feedback and suggestions on from some of our play-tests is the "life" of the world of Eitr. At the moment, our world feels a little dead, it has a decent atmosphere, but it essentially lacks any environmental animation.

I've been working on addressing this aesthetic concern in the next zone we're going to show you guys, the Whispering Meadows. Here's a sneak peak!

I'll be revisiting previous maps to add some environmental animations to them too, we really want to bring our world to life and have it feel less static. I found a neat little pixel-trick to help with some of this, so expect to see a more organic Eitr from here on out!  Wizard

Really itching to say something, but I can't say it yet! Stay tuned..  Wink

Music Vortex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »

That movement looks really nice (though maybe a bit bouncy on the tree?) Have you guys started adding ambient sounds and music to it? Then it will really come to life Smiley

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud|
Twitter
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »

That movement looks really nice (though maybe a bit bouncy on the tree?) Have you guys started adding ambient sounds and music to it? Then it will really come to life Smiley

Yeah, the tree is kind of on steroids haha. I'll calm him down!

Yeah, we've got both music and ambient in-game, we're going to have a full OST too! :D

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »

Visually reminded me of Immortal. This looks like a lot of fun! I especially like the design of the main character.

Suminsky
Level 0

mehhhh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2014, 09:11:43 PM »

This looks fantastic.

I love the tall and skinny figures, its really unique. Generally pixel art fall for small and chibi style, this is refreshing.

Can't believe you managed to make so great pixel art in that short time, I'm jealous.
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »

This looks fantastic.

I love the tall and skinny figures, its really unique. Generally pixel art fall for small and chibi style, this is refreshing.

Can't believe you managed to make so great pixel art in that short time, I'm jealous.

Thanks man, well I have taken inspiration from others games' art and tried to make ours a little unique at the same time by blending the lines between some of my favourite styles and personal touch. Sword and Sorcery was the first game I was actually looking at for reference alongside a few "fashion" model characters (long legs), then Crawl and Witchmarsh, now it's at the point where I just look at everything for inspiration haha! This is actually my first go at pixel-art, but thankfully there is a tonne of resource available online that helps with learning the general process.

I've had a number of requests from people asking for help / guidance over the past months, and honestly I'm more than happy to help with anyone who would like any advise!

I'm actually working on transforming this dude at the moment....  Wizard

- Bloodbeard Warchief

I'll post up the transformation when I finish it, maybe I could show you guys like a work-in-progress sorta thing of how I animate. I'm going to be using Zombie Night Terror as a reference point for this, they have some INSANE transformations with their Zombie dudes.   Kiss
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:06:40 AM by Derity » Logged

100% Orange Juice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »

First off I would like to say that I really love what you guys are doing, the art looks amazing.
Do you think you could make a video showing how you made this, like a time-lapse art video or something. I would greatly enjoy seeing something like that. Also what do you use to make all of the characters and environments in. Thanks 
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »

First off I would like to say that I really love what you guys are doing, the art looks amazing.
Do you think you could make a video showing how you made this, like a time-lapse art video or something. I would greatly enjoy seeing something like that. Also what do you use to make all of the characters and environments in. Thanks  

Thank you.

Could be a good idea, will see what I can do, haven't ever done a time-lapse before! Will have to look into how the pro's do it. Wink All of my work is improvised, a lot of pixel tweaking and reference, all is done simply in Photoshop, including the animations.

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »

do you use any plugins for photoshop?
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2015, 11:51:38 PM »

Nope, really not needed IMO - unless theres something I'm missing that'd help lower workload hah. Just pencil tool with pixel grid. When repeating things, small shrubs/bushes for example, I do make my own custom brushes but that's about it really!

- Just noticed broken links in my sig/original post, fixing now >.<
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:57:46 PM by Derity » Logged

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2015, 03:18:43 AM »

This looks gorgeous
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »

Nope, really not needed IMO - unless theres something I'm missing that'd help lower workload hah. Just pencil tool with pixel grid. When repeating things, small shrubs/bushes for example, I do make my own custom brushes but that's about it really!

I tried animating in photoshop, dealing with frames is a real headache compared to graphics gale. Any tips you can give?
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2015, 11:55:08 PM »

I tried animating in photoshop, dealing with frames is a real headache compared to graphics gale. Any tips you can give?

I've never used Graphics Gale, but I'm looking at it and looks like it's pretty much the same deal as frame animation in PS? What exactly did you find a headache?

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2015, 06:10:03 AM »

what? am i missing something here?
in photoshop i have to hide every other frame in each frame, like, the layers that are not visible and save that as a frame... (because it handles frames as layers)
that and the fact that i can't seem to add shortcuts for going back and forth between frames/creating new frames/creating empty/etc
i would really appreciate some tips on that, cause i basically gave up on photoshop for that reason specifically
oh and sorry for the spam.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »

Maybe just create groups of layers, so you only click to hide an entire group instead each layer individually? You should watch some tuts on youtube, they should help you out.

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2015, 12:00:51 AM »

what? am i missing something here?
in photoshop i have to hide every other frame in each frame, like, the layers that are not visible and save that as a frame... (because it handles frames as layers)
that and the fact that i can't seem to add shortcuts for going back and forth between frames/creating new frames/creating empty/etc
i would really appreciate some tips on that, cause i basically gave up on photoshop for that reason specifically
oh and sorry for the spam.

Yeah as spook said, Groups are the answer to the layer hiding thing, as for Shortcuts you're right there doesn't seem to be any, just have to use the buttons on the UI, which I agree is a little tedious, but I guess I'm just used to it!

I think other programs may be more well suited for animating pixel art, but IMO the art-tools at hand with Photoshop, brushes, adjustment layers, masks, effects, etc are too much to give up for a few shortcuts.

It's like any other program really, the more you use it the more you'll get used to working around the downsides, I don't really have any secret tips that I can think of tbh.

How I usually work is I'll create an image and when I'm ready to animate it I'll put all layers for it into a group and name it for example "MonsterX Frame 1" then I'll create frame 2 and duplicate the group (CTRL+J) and rename it "MonsterX Frame 2" and repeat for however many frames I want.

Hardcore2dacore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »

I love pixelart, however I'm used to either 'dreamy' pixelart with soft colours and low contrast, and colourful, high contract cartoon type pixelart, however much I love those styles they feel... Less impactful having seen your dark, gritty world and characters. I take it we're at far too early days for any talk of something playable, whether through Pledging/ Early access etc? This is the type of thing I'd certainly get behind. Very excited at the prospect this game. Congrats, your baby is beautiful Wink

Looking forward to more :D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic