Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:23:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.  (Read 139861 times)
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »

Thanks for the tips yo.  I monkeyed around with Graphics Gale a few years ago and while it seemed really cool the control scheme made my head hurt as I recall.  Still, 20 bucks really isn't much of anything as a business expense.  I should take another crack at it.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »

Thanks for the tips yo.  I monkeyed around with Graphics Gale a few years ago and while it seemed really cool the control scheme made my head hurt as I recall.
The entirely customizable control scheme? You can change any hot key except for the view dragging (which is ctrl+lmb) Wink

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2010, 11:04:54 PM »

I recommend Beneton Movie GIF. It allows for your individual frame timing and such, as well as being free.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2010, 06:25:38 AM »

Thanks for the tips yo.  I monkeyed around with Graphics Gale a few years ago and while it seemed really cool the control scheme made my head hurt as I recall.
The entirely customizable control scheme? You can change any hot key except for the view dragging (which is ctrl+lmb) Wink
Facepalm

I recommend Beneton Movie GIF. It allows for your individual frame timing and such, as well as being free.
Downloaded, thanks for the tip!

Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »

This looks awesome! Great job! Excellent art and ideas.
Looking forward for more!
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »

Last week I was working on some animations and I finally got around to processing them in a way that looked decent enough for posting.
There are a few little bits I left out, but that gives you some idea of flight and idle animations.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2010, 03:50:25 PM »

The side-to-side look looks really good! The arm bobbing looks a bit odd though. Everything else looks good.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »

Wow, really digging your concept art and all the progress you've posted.  Keeping an eye on this one, keep up the awesome work.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/salvage-artifacts-001.jpg

If you're going to risk life and limb digging into a treacherous alien planet there had better be some valuable loot under all that rock.
These are some sketch ideations for artifact forms.  I think I'm going to take a bit of time with them and let them evolve as organically as possible.  I really want them to be vague in function but still fun to look at.

RCIX
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »

They look too much like rocks to me -- perhaps add some sort of alien writing on parts of them or maybe add wire-like patterns on them?
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »

Or perhaps try some more natural shapes with angular/really artificial marking, lines, and such?
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »

It's great to see how much love you're pouring into this. I also really like the feel you're going for.

Have you read A Roadside Picnic? If not, I'd definitely recommend it. It's very related to what you're creating. It does a good job of making the act of retrieving artifacts feel real, and it never reveals too much about the artifacts' origin or function.

While I'm really enjoying seeing your posts, to be honest I'm a bit concerned that you don't have anything playable yet. I would hate to see all your enthusiasm not lead to the creation of an amazing game. What's the status of the code side of things? If the friend you mentioned earlier isn't as able to put time into the game as you are, I'm sure you could find a stable, talented person around here who'd be happy to help with the code side of things. I (and, evidently, many other people) really want to see this project succeed, and I hope you've got all your ducks in a row so development can get off to a good start!
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2010, 07:22:43 AM »

Just as a point of clarification regarding artifacts, that sketch was just form development/ideation, and not an exploration of surface treatments.  There's plenty more for me to play with.

Roadside Picnic is one of my favourite sci fi novels actually, definitely a thematic inspiration.    Coffee

As for coding development, I understand your concerns, and obviously you can't see things from my exact perspective, but I can tell you I'm not worried.  Maybe the best analogy I could make is with most works of visual fantasy, be it films or cars, there's a lot of concept development that takes place long before production begins.  Most corporations keep that stuff very secretive, but I'm not a corporation, and in the long run I think I have much more to gain by simply laying out much of my process in the open.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »

I Agree with sparky. You're game looks awesome, huge and monumental. Because of this however, I'd advise getting on with some coding as soon as possible. You can keep creating content once the core of the code is done, but until you've got at least SOME down, you wont know the limits of what you have.
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »

Roadside Picnic is one of my favourite sci fi novels actually, definitely a thematic inspiration.
Erm, from brothers Strugatskie, that Roadside picnic? Red Shukhart and others? Translation from russian?

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2010, 08:54:25 AM »

Roadside Picnic is one of my favourite sci fi novels actually, definitely a thematic inspiration.
Erm, from brothers Strugatskie, that Roadside picnic? Red Shukhart and others? Translation from russian?

Yeah Strugatsky bros, the old film Stalker is based on it as well.  As much as I enjoyed the FPS s.t.a.l.k.e.r., I wish it had been more like the book and movie.  Would have been much creepier, though my inner cynic says it wouldn't have sold as well.

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2010, 09:28:06 AM »

Yeah Strugatsky bros, the old film Stalker is based on it as well. As much as I enjoyed the FPS s.t.a.l.k.e.r., I wish it had been more like the book and movie. Would have been much creepier, though my inner cynic says it wouldn't have sold as well.
FPS Stalker is just rough reflection of the book, simplified fantasy, insolent usage of fine name, really. Yeah, it's good anyway (and for somebody), but it has no real connection with original. The book is awesome indeed. I didn't know it was translated, it's news to me (as i'm from Russia). And it would be really cool if you're going to keep that line (moody) in your game, as it's now. And a bit from Lucasarts Dig Well, hello there!

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »

You might enjoy a novella by Gene Wolfe called Memorare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorare_(novella)

It's about exploring tombs contained within asteroids, and already has me dreaming of an expansion pack for The Salvage.   Tongue

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »

I'm always really tickled by games that manage to have equipment or upgrades in them that feel really good and really powerful in the game and yet aren't related to something as direct as say combat.

Like you show your little powersuit guy having a lamp on his helmet. I'd like to see better suits having better lights that reveal more of the tunnel you are in to you(level2), or that are controllable say(level3), or that have a weak form of the sonar that one big device has(level4), etc.

I sort of like the idea of having an inside your ship area that you frequently have to go to, sort of like a subscreen or like pandora's box in Terranigma. When you on inside the ship you sort of dock your power suit against the hull in a designated spot with a cool animation and then you can just walk your jumpsuited little pilot around inside the ship, do some administrative things like examine your finds better in a little internal ship lab, etc, and then walk back to the suit airlock thing and walk back into the caves to find more stuff with an appropriate sound profile change. Like inside the ship you can hear the generator going, maybe there's a radio playing and then in your suit you just hear outside noises like rain and stuff for atmosphered planets and just your breathing and silence on asteroids and moons.

Anyway, just the musings your art stirred in me. Mostly just atmosphere stuff, not much gameplay ideas really.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »

I sort of like the idea of having an inside your ship area that you frequently have to go to, sort of like a subscreen or like pandora's box in Terranigma...

This is an excellent idea on the whole, for a project such as this. It would lend a sense of continuity to the game that suits having such a detailed world: even the menu/inventory could exist without interrupting the flow of the world, which is dynamic as it is.

Possibly you'd have a little dropship/walker that hovers permanently above the surface, and as long as you have sightline to the sky you can be extracted along with your little suit, pulled into a little docking bay and let out to breathe for a moment while techs upgrade or fix up your suit.

This would also increase the seriousness of cave-ins and being deep below, as you know that straying too far from your lifeline can lead to greater risks and rewards.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic