Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 07:45:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress  (Read 105754 times)
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2008, 01:02:58 AM »

Procedurally generated ASCII stage, right?
:D Because procedurally generated stages work best in fighting/semi-platforming games, right?
they worked pretty good in Rescue the Beagles
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »

they worked pretty good in Rescue the Beagles

jesus loving christ that game is hard

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2008, 08:53:08 PM »

I think when he's controlled by computer AI, he should be almost suicidally dumb, to make it true to the game.

("Oh, time to dig a channel! Hm, I seem to have dug myself into a corner. HOW ABOUT THE TILE BELOW ME NOW!? I seem to have fallen into an aquifedfkdfl;af*die*")

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »

i think at certain points, one or more kittens need to spawn and follow him around.  to be true to the game, you would need like 9230815023471209384 kittens at one time, but obviously we don't need to go that far although i hope we do

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2008, 03:40:49 AM »

bumpin', I'm gonna start on this guy soon so if anybody wants to change/add things to the moveset, best to speak now. I'm going to make sure he doesn't become a ranged attacker by a) making his barrel VERY low damage, but high-ish knockback, plus the ability to destroy other projectiles, and b) making his pick attack quite short ranged, like Quote's missile though not quite as short as that.

Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2008, 05:27:01 AM »

I think the 9# sprite is fine except the colour of the hands. They differ from the face too much.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »

bumpin', I'm gonna start on this guy soon so if anybody wants to change/add things to the moveset, best to speak now.
Then I'd better speak up, because some of these moves simply won't work. Most notably, moves like face punch and low kick won't work because there's no location-based attacks. Also, I'd prefer to see more weapon attacks, since this dwarf is obviously a warrior. And I'd like to see him as less of a ranged attacker.

A - Hammer and Anvil - Pounds the enemy with a hammer, dealing extra damage if the enemy is on the ground.

>A - Unstoppable Charge - The dwarf runs forward for as long as the key is held, plowing down those he contacts. While charging, his weight is set to 6, so his attack can't be interrupted.

^A - Axe Slash - A powerful spinning axe attack.

vA - Mining Pick - An attack with a pick. If the pick hits the ground, it creates an explosion of earth.

S - Catsplosion - Toss out a cat that runs forward. It can be killed by attacks. If it hits an enemy first, it explodes.

>S - Crossbow - Fire a single, fast missile straight ahead. High cooldown.

^S - Fishing Rod - Throws a fishing line quite a distance. If the hook hits, it pulls the enemy closer to the dwarf. It can also be used to grab ledges.

vS - Immovable Stance - The dwarf takes up a defensive stance, setting his weight to 6. This effect ends if the dwarf moves more than a few pixels away. Can only be used on the ground.

Hmm... I didn't mean to rewrite the whole movelist. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:13:34 PM by Nightshade » Logged

godsavant
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2008, 10:14:24 AM »

bumpin', I'm gonna start on this guy soon so if anybody wants to change/add things to the moveset, best to speak now.

Does this mean...no Dwarfyuken? Sad
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2008, 11:49:54 AM »

What's a dwarfyuken?

Renton
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »

Some kinda upwards mêlée super attack, maybe? No?
godsavant
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2008, 01:03:27 PM »

^A - Dwarf Dragon Punch - High cooldown, high damage. Like Side Haymaker, but straight up and more damage.  Used to attack enemies above you, could be used in mindgames invovling jumps to dodge specials ("if I jump to dodge that special I think he's going to pull, and he DDP's me instead, I'm going to be punched in the face.")

Also, it is a Dwarf Dragon Punching. Come on. That it worth it by itself.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »

I still don't know what a dwarf dragon is...  Sad

But the move itself looks okay, if a bit generic.

godsavant
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2008, 01:35:11 PM »

the Dragon Punch, in romaji, is 'Shoryuken', the signature move of Ken from Street Fighter.
"SHORYUKEN!"

Some kinda upwards mêlée super attack, maybe? No?

Yes. The upwards melee super attack.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2008, 01:56:18 PM »

I don't really see what that has to do with the dwarf, though. Certainly, axes play a bigger role in DF than dragon punches.

godsavant
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »

Absolutely nothing.

Forget about including it in the game, I just like to entertain this hilarious idea. Tongue
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »

A - Hammer and Anvil - Pounds the enemy with a hammer, dealing extra damage if the enemy is on the ground.

>A - Unstoppable Charge - The dwarf runs forward for as long as the key is held, plowing down those he contacts. While charging, his weight is set to 6, so his attack can't be interrupted.

^A - Axe Slash - A powerful spinning axe attack.

vA - Mining Pick - An attack with a pick. If the pick hits the ground, it creates an explosion of earth.

S - Catsplosion - Toss out a cat that runs forward. It can be killed by attacks. If it hits an enemy first, it explodes.

>S - Crossbow - Fire a single, fast missile straight ahead. High cooldown.

^S - Fishing Rod - Throws a fishing line quite a distance. If the hook hits, it pulls the enemy closer to the dwarf. It can also be used to grab ledges.

vS - Immovable Stance - The dwarf takes up a defensive stance, setting his weight to 6. This effect ends if the dwarf moves more than a few pixels away. Can only be used on the ground.

Some of these changes I like. Others I'm not so sure about. I really liked Seph's idea of shooting a lump of ore that travels in an arc. Can we have it so his Av does that rather than 'an explosion of earth'? It wouldn't be a very high or long arc - it would be something like Quote's missile.

Can you explain a bit more about the axe slash? Does it spin vertically or horizontally?

Is the 'catsplosion' authentic to the game? Because if it is, then fine. But if it's not, then I think it's wrong to remove the dragon punch but include an exploding kitten instead. (Not that I'm supporting the dragon punch either, mind you).

What is the use of 'Immovable Stance'? As far as I can tell, it will make it impossible to knock him back, but he can still be damaged? I don't understand when it would be worth using.

The fishing rod seems a little useless as an attack, but I suppose it depends on how far the enemy is pulled by it. It would be great if it was pretty hard to hit someone with it, but if it did, it dragged them right in front of the dwarf and set them up for a hammer to the face. Also, perhaps it could have some downward knockback so you could use it to RO people. Against a high flying character like Nikujin, they're just floating around with their awesome recovery, but then they go too high and wham! the dwarf hooks them and then, because he's standing right at the edge of the platform, they get flung straight down to their doom.

Also, the Dwarf should probably have some kind of aerial attack like the other characters. It doesn't have to be his Av though - you probably noticed that when I did GK, I made his aerial attack on A neutral instead. I think it would be cool to mix it up like this for some characters, so players will be a little surprised when they learn they can do that attack.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »

Some of these changes I like. Others I'm not so sure about. I really liked Seph's idea of shooting a lump of ore that travels in an arc. Can we have it so his Av does that rather than 'an explosion of earth'? It wouldn't be a very high or long arc - it would be something like Quote's missile.
It doesn't matter much to me. If you think a short arc would be better, go with it.

Can you explain a bit more about the axe slash? Does it spin vertically or horizontally?
Either way would be fine.

Is the 'catsplosion' authentic to the game? Because if it is, then fine. But if it's not, then I think it's wrong to remove the dragon punch but include an exploding kitten instead. (Not that I'm supporting the dragon punch either, mind you).
It's more authentic than you might think.

What is the use of 'Immovable Stance'? As far as I can tell, it will make it impossible to knock him back, but he can still be damaged? I don't understand when it would be worth using.
It would let you use all your attacks without being interrupted when hit. In retrospect, it's not a very good idea, since it would make battles less dynamic and fun.

The fishing rod seems a little useless as an attack, but I suppose it depends on how far the enemy is pulled by it. It would be great if it was pretty hard to hit someone with it, but if it did, it dragged them right in front of the dwarf and set them up for a hammer to the face. Also, perhaps it could have some downward knockback so you could use it to RO people. Against a high flying character like Nikujin, they're just floating around with their awesome recovery, but then they go too high and wham! the dwarf hooks them and then, because he's standing right at the edge of the platform, they get flung straight down to their doom.
I was thinking that it would pull the target right up to him, forcing it into melee combat.

Also, the Dwarf should probably have some kind of aerial attack like the other characters. It doesn't have to be his Av though - you probably noticed that when I did GK, I made his aerial attack on A neutral instead. I think it would be cool to mix it up like this for some characters, so players will be a little surprised when they learn they can do that attack.
I don't know that he really needs aerial attacks, especially since the dwarf is very closely tied to the earth.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »

So, what angle were you thinking of for the fishing rod? The way you described it made me think of a 45 degree angle like the tether recoveries in SSB. But now I guess you mean it goes out straight ahead? That would be a lot easier to use, but then it would be much less useful as a recovery. How about, though the dwarf normally isn't a wall-clinger, if he hits a wall with his fishing rod and pulls up to it, he's allowed to cling to it, and then jump off it to return to the stage. His recovery would still be pretty bad due to his low jumps, which is exactly what I would intend for a dwarf character.

Speaking of which, what weight class do you want for the dwarf? I was thinking four or five - even though he's not exactly a huge character, he's very much tied to the ground, with a pretty bad recovery.

For aerials - I think he should have an aerial because otherwise he has one less attack than everyone else (sort of - Naija and Quote's aerials are like modified versions of other attacks). To bring the focus back on the ground, his aerial could be a downward attack that brings both him and his target back to earth.

And if we don't have Immovable Stance, then what will his Sv be? I don't really know much about DF, but just browsing through the DF wiki, I'm thinking he could lay some kind of trap, like an enormous corkscrew? And he only gets one at a time, and they're hard (but not impossible) to see?

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »

Maybe make the immovable thing part of his block move?

Traps would be nice, like Snake in Brawl. Plant one on the ground that emerges whens omeone comes nearby.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »

What I immediately thought of when I saw the immovable stance thing was: he is weight 6 so no stun, and make it no knockback, but also have it as his idle sprite so opponents can't tell (but as soon as he moves or attacks it stops affecting him), then they use a melee attack and are caught off guard because he isn't stunned so he can use a powerful counterattack.
Sorry for the bad explanation, I'm not so good at explaining things. Does any of it make sense?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic