Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411614 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 05:36:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceHero Command
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: SpaceHero Command  (Read 105426 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: July 22, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »

Surprised to see myself as a player too but very happy about it. Like my team Smiley

Game is coming along really nicely and plays as I'd expected which is nice. Like the amount of detail you've already gone into with just 10% and great to have a chance to try it out after following it from the start.

2. Allow for camera movement with W, A, S, and D rather than the arrow keys.
This makes sense but think also keep the arrow keys as is, cause I'm left handed and find them easier to use with the trackpad.

Great job and thanks again for the honour Gentleman

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: July 22, 2012, 01:35:19 AM »

Wow! Thanks guys, I wake up and there are a lot of good comments and feedback.

With the names, I wanted to say thank you for all the support and encouragement.  Coffee

Ashkin: You can still shoot and kill enemies you can't see (like in real life I guess). But the Zog should have been visible, so I guess there are still some line of sight issues to work on.

Spooner: I need to think about the walls a bit, especially to do with line of sight. The Rosette is supposed to change colour on individual sections. It's not clear if you've not read the posts I made about it. The colour indicates the action state if you turn to that direction, i.e. red = can't shoot, orange = can shoot, etc.. Good points about the mouse.

Joshua: Yep, tool tips will be in.

Eigenbom: Moving the view in a reversed direction (i.e. google maps style) will be an option. Yeah, not completely sure about the cursor under the compass markers either, but it's too obscuring on the top.

Solarlune: Sorry to hear you killed yourself.. Tongue Good suggestions on the right-clicking and WASD keys, I can certainly add those as well as the arrow keys.

Birdof, Franklins Ghost: Thanks! Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: July 22, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »

I've already added support for WASD keys to scroll, and a reversed camera option, for now you press C ingame to toggle between the two camera movement types.

These changes will be incorporated into the next released version. Smiley
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: July 22, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »

Dammit! You would release a playable whilst I have no access to a computer. I'm glad you're making progress, and it's looking good.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 22, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »

I've been reading this devlog since I woke up this morning, and I realized something:
I had more fun designing graphics when they weren't realistic.

Thank you.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: July 22, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »

Great to see a playable version of this.  I love how smooth and intuitive the UI is.  Everything kinda fell apart when I got to the human's turn 2, however:

-The first guy I moved turned invisible when walking and then stayed invisible.
-The second guy had his movement zone coloured completely red
-The next guy was OK, but stopped after a few steps and a '1 alien seen' message popped up, even though it didn't look like he should be able to see any aliens.
-Next guy turned invisible as well
-Next guy had a totally red movement zone as well

Then, the next turn, the two guys who had gone invisible stayed invisible and I couldn't select them.  Nobody else could walk into their squares, however, so it looks like the game still knew they were there.

Not sure what I did to provoke these bugs - I wasn't doing anything particularly weird, I don't think.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: July 22, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »

Paul: Thanks for explaining what happened. Clearly you ran into some major bug, so I'll have to try to find out what went wrong.
Moczan
« Reply #567 on: July 22, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »

Plays great, the biggest flaw is that it's still just and alpha  Wink I ran into small bug while scrolling, I could see an ally that is further away (shouldn't be on screen) show on the edge. It went away when I scrolled back and couldn't really reproduce it :/
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: July 22, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »

Haven't checked in on this thread in a while, glad to see it's coming along so well.

The demo is looking really nice.  The way the highlighted spaces spread out from the character looks really smooth.

-I felt the camera moved a bit too slowly for my tastes.  It would probably be good to have an option for that.

-Friendly fire is a big problem.  When one of the humans spotted one of the aliens, he promptly shot his ally who was in between them in the back of the head.

-I also had some problems with a character disappearing

-Having the "spotted" text come up each time I move rather than when that character is first spotted gets a bit annoying

-The origin point of the cursor seems off.  In order to select a direction, the mouse has to be slightly off the arrow I'm trying to select.

Anyway, this is coming along nicely and is looking very impressive.  Looking forward to future updates.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

Cheers, there is still a bit to tweak and fix with the GUI.. Smiley
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: July 24, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »

I tried playing a couple more times to see if I could trigger the disappearing humans bug again and figure out what was causing it, but it all seemed to be working fine this time around.  So, good news: it looks like that bug I found is pretty infrequent.  Bad news: it looks like that bug I found is pretty infrequent.

One other much more minor bug I found: Having eliminated all of the humans I was moving the aliens around the map on the next turn just to see if I could and when I moved one into a corridor with three human corpses it popped up the '3 enemies' warning message as if they were still alive.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: July 24, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »

Thanks Paul, you're all giving me useful information to track down and fix the bugs. Smiley
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: July 26, 2012, 01:07:07 AM »

I've already added support for WASD keys to scroll, and a reversed camera option, for now you press C ingame to toggle between the two camera movement types.

These changes will be incorporated into the next released version. Smiley

Any chance you're gonna' add middle-mouse-button scroll? And by "Any chance you're gonna' add" I mean "I DEMAND YOU ADD". Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: July 26, 2012, 08:35:27 AM »

I might as well, are you going to do work on Phantom Island in return? Wink
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: July 26, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »

Haha! Already am. I got some zombies in there following the player a bit but I wanna' make them way more awesome by splitting them into legs/head/torso and having damage on each section alter their behaviour. Once that's done, I'll make a video. And now, back to your thread...

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »

Well, I've added in middle mouse scrolling to my build (not uploaded). I've also fixed a bug where if one of your hero's was over the body of a dead hero then it looked like the dead hero was still alive in the unit icon colours.

I can't reproduce the vanishing units or glitches at the edge of the screen yet though.. Sad
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: July 27, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »

Bah! I can't make the humans vanish as of yet.. if it happens again, could someone please post a screenshot or something to give me a clue! Sad
bartholomew
« Reply #577 on: July 28, 2012, 06:58:09 AM »

can't help with the other stuff but here is a screenshot of the glitches on the edge of the screen: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84528920/spacehero_command_glitch.png.
You should be able to reproduce it if you scroll left and right with the arrowkeys.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: July 29, 2012, 01:21:48 AM »

Thanks for that! What is your desktop resolution? If you open up the logfile (logfile.html) the game makes can you tell me what the screen area it's using is?

This may be related to different screen sizes, that's why I'm asking.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: July 29, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »

Been testing some more and had this situation occur where the humans could spot see two zogs but when I changed to zogs and changed there directions the humans didn't become visible.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic