Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 08:02:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWobbledogs
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: Wobbledogs  (Read 233283 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 17, 2017, 12:18:46 AM »

I've said this before, but I love how this blog basically reads like a mad scientist experimenting on virtual dogs.

"Und then I changed a fundamental equation in ZE PHYSICS OF ZE UNIVERSE!!! to see how ze dogs vould cope vith this. As you can observe ze results where... satisfactory... BUT MORE EXPERIMENTS VILL BE NEEDED!!!"

Speaking of which, I think this game will end up as a spiritual successor to the Sims, in the sense that it'll show you which of your friends will do their best to make their dogs happy, and which will immediately come up with fucked up ways to torture their wobbledogs.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: March 17, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »

That's a clever way of solving the bouncing issue! They really do look a lot weightier now.
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: March 22, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »

Speaking of which, I think this game will end up as a spiritual successor to the Sims, in the sense that it'll show you which of your friends will do their best to make their dogs happy, and which will immediately come up with fucked up ways to torture their wobbledogs.

People BETTER be nice to these dogs!!

That's a clever way of solving the bouncing issue! They really do look a lot weightier now.

Glad it's noticeable!

---

I've actually modified my strat slightly since that last post. Dogs are handled mostly the same as before, though with single frame bounce-removal only (they were breaking out instantly anyways), and other objects now maintain a list of everything they're colliding with that caused an initial bounce on impact. Bounce suppression is active as long as there are any of those collisions still active. This maintains the weightiness, cuts down on edge cases, and also removes wobble from stacks of physics objects which is super nice. I do have to handle pipes special (since they purposefully move objects upwards in many cases), but it's pretty much just a matter of turning off bounce suppression for objects inside of them, so it's not too bad. Strategy is still holding strong for now so I'm hopeful I'll be able to leave this in.

In other news, I started working on the first toy I've ever tried to put in the game, a superball. Since systems are what make this project interesting IMO, I want to make sure that every object I add to this game is somewhat special and will open the door for more emergent situations. This specific object isn't the craziest, but it's more than just a rigidbody and it's been really fun to play with so far. The basic idea is that it's super bouncy and easy for dogs to throw around.

It took a bit of tuning and experimentation to get it to a reasonable point. At first it was kind of just madness.

But I've now got it in what I think is a pretty nice place.

In code I basically just multiply its velocity by a decreasing value every time it collides with enough force. After a certain number of bounces, standard physics kick in again and it comes to rest. This counter resets if it's bounced a ton and hits a velocity cap again or if the dog/player throws it. Additionally, when a dog tosses the ball I multiply its velocity to give it a good initial kick. That's it! The actual way dogs interact with it (beyond some future work to let specific objects encourage/discourage certain behaviors) is completely bog-standard. It looks like they're playing catch in the above gif but I didn't do anything special to make that happen, it just worked out! Systems-driven game development is super rewarding sometimes. Even though I built all this stuff, the above gif still feels a little bit like magic to me.

Adding the star particles to this ball was so satisfying that I also went in and tried to apply it generically to everything.

I super love the way it looks but after leaving it around for a bit, I really feel that it's just too visually busy. I'm going to leave it for the superball but everything else gets only those dust effects for the time being. I think the dust needs another visual kick to really make it acceptable but it's still much nicer than having nothing.

You might also notice from the above gif that things are falling quicker. I've gone and doubled the gravity for everything in the game except the dogs themselves. I've tried and failed a few times to do a global gravity increase, but the dogs are just too fine-tuned for their current gravity situation and I think they've got to stay as-is. Super happy with how the rest of the objects are feeling now, though, and I really don't think the disparity is too noticeable. The increased gravity combined with the bounce removal has got the general physics situation feeling super super nice.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 23, 2017, 05:32:42 AM »

So fabulous and majestic!

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: March 24, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »

Spent a little bit of time reworking collision particles.

First of all, I added a special little "spark" effect for when things collide at sharper angles.

My strategy is to just check the number of collision points and branch based off that. It's probably not completely accurate, and I already know I need to vary this based on collider type, but it works pretty well!

It still wasn't quite there so I added a single star for those cases as well.

I'm not 100% sure this effect is right for this softer seeming object so it'll probably ultimately be something I set/vary on a per-object basis, but I really love the way it looks in general. I also set up the system so that the particle sizes/speeds/activation values vary in a somewhat nice way depending on object size and weight. Should be fairly generic!

After all this I went in and added a feature to encourage/discourage certain behaviors on a per-object type basis. So now these superballs get a higher score for being thrown than for just being held or bitten, and I also made it so eggs get encouragement towards being carried.

Then today I did some anxiety/fear work.

The emotion hasn't really been super readable in terms of what was causing it, so I removed the general "near unknown objects" increase and added a few new ones. Dogs get anxiety increases when things touch their bellies and backs, and when other dogs bite them. There are more things I want to add in the future, but it's a nice basis. It also made it apparent that I'm not going to get by with only showing dog emotion at certain intervals. It's too binary. I'm going to need to build a reaction system to show moment to moment emotional fluctuations as they occur.

I also added a few new behaviors. First of all was one specifically aimed at anxiety.

It's a sort of open-eyed nap that happens when things get too crazy. Dogs will lie there for a bit to re-center.

I also added a behavior for continuous bucking (just a playful thing) because it looks nice, and made it so eating helps solve for anxiety/fear as well.

Oh, and I tested puppies super briefly this morning since it had been a while and I'm happy to report they still work just fine.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 25, 2017, 03:47:57 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 25, 2017, 05:04:45 AM »

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: March 25, 2017, 05:12:11 AM »

god help me, I love this game  Kiss

tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: March 25, 2017, 05:24:22 AM »

Man, this game looks so crazy and I like it Smiley
The outlines are super btw, and the circle projected to the ground is definitely working fine to help understand where we are moving stuff in space

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: April 06, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »

I've said this before, but I love how this blog basically reads like a mad scientist experimenting on virtual dogs.

"Und then I changed a fundamental equation in ZE PHYSICS OF ZE UNIVERSE!!! to see how ze dogs vould cope vith this. As you can observe ze results where... satisfactory... BUT MORE EXPERIMENTS VILL BE NEEDED!!!"

The real question is when The Sims meets WobbleDogs crossover comes out.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: April 06, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »

In other words, a disguised personality test that lets you learn certain things about your friends ~ in case you didn't know. Wink

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »

Haha, glad everyone liked the last update!

As far as Sims comparisons goes... I was actually a gameplay engineer on The Sims 4 for a few years before quitting to do indie stuff like I am now, so it's pretty funny to hear it come up again in this context.

---

Not as big an update this time as it should be. I was super sick last week and didn't do any work at all, and I'm still recovering so this has been a slow-ish week of getting back into the swing of things again.

The main thing I've been working on is emotional reactions to things. Previously it's been super hard to tell moment-to-moment how dog emotions are updating, and it felt pretty random when they'd suddenly start blowing steam or getting a bout of anxiety. To combat this, I'm now showing emotional particle effect reactions under certain circumstances.

Dogs get a little vein when something makes them mad (like being bitten).

They get a sweat drop when something gives them anxiety or fear (like having a block dropped on their back).

And then the original idea was to show hearts when something made them less mad, less scared, or less hungry (like eating).

The first issue with all this is that the symbols were hard to see sometimes, specifically the sweat drop. I've combated that with outlined versions of them that help them stand out.

The next issue was that the hearts specifically were super hard to understand the context of. Most things dogs do are to solve for some need or another, so hearts were just constantly showing up all over the place and were essentially meaningless. I decided to transition away from showing when dogs solved for a need and instead associate them with things that made them happy.

Of course, this was a problem because I didn't have any sort of direct "happiness" statistic. So I started to design that, but it was hard to nail down and I compromised by adding a "happy" distraction. Basically, when dogs are doing well with all their needs, they get a chance to get distracted and goof around. That felt good, but didn't help with the heart issue.

I decided instead to make it so that hearts corresponded to favoritism. Dogs already have favorite behaviors, so now hearts show up while they're running those, which helps a lot with making them noticeable. I also implemented a simple system for favorite and hated objects, and now hearts also show up when dogs are interacting with their favorite things.

Again, this helps preferences feel more visible and gives easily understandable context to the hearts.

I also did a quick pass on the bite particle effects and improved them a bit (they get slightly wider as they move outwards), I made it so dogs can detect when they get stuck while routing and I can have them buck and get a little anxious, and I finally got around to integrating a developer console into the game.

It's a pre-bought asset, but I set up a bunch of nice commands for it and migrated all my existing in-editor cheat window stuff so I can call all those things from in the game as well.

And then finally, I downloaded the unity post processing effects stack and played around with some stuff.

I'm still playing with this, so nothing is final yet, but there's some nice stuff in there. The motion blur has to go because I got nauseous just taking this gif, but I'm pretty into the AO and color grading at least. I've got mixed feelings on the AA. It looks nice at larger resolutions but not as nice in-editor and at lower resolutions. I've also gotta update a lot of my materials if I go this route, because changing rendering to Deferred causes some things to switch around (like the food now being reflective). We'll see! More stuff I wanna try still.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:09:08 PM by ActualDog » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »

aw man i actually love the motion blur a bit! maybe make it toggleable?

always love seein how this fuckin thing comes along

utkiupe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: April 07, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »

this last gif makes the game really impressive man

the post processing is nice and gives a new look and feel to you work
don't know if that's your intentions regarding everything you already shared

One thing I have noticed is that the dog movements seem so much less arbitrary. Now they can keep themselves better from falling randomly.

Can't wait to see the progress.
BTW, do you have a launch date or something?
Will you build a mac version (yeah sorry for that, I work on a mac, andI don't have a PC to play games...)?

I make games at Kiupe // check our future game: Eiwee - a game about playing and learning music
Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 10, 2017, 05:19:02 AM »

These dogs have become so beautiful and diverse.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »

Just to let you know I am following this devlog   Who, Me?
Looking forward to more updates!
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: April 14, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »

aw man i actually love the motion blur a bit! maybe make it toggleable?

always love seein how this fuckin thing comes along

Ah, thanks, I think the real issue is when the camera moves. Static angles are fine. In any case I've disabled it for now because I wasn't able to hit a happy medium between all the settings but I'll probably revisit it in the future because there are definitely situations where it looks super nice. It's also possible that the solution is just to disable it while there's camera motion going on.

this last gif makes the game really impressive man

the post processing is nice and gives a new look and feel to you work
don't know if that's your intentions regarding everything you already shared

One thing I have noticed is that the dog movements seem so much less arbitrary. Now they can keep themselves better from falling randomly.

Can't wait to see the progress.
BTW, do you have a launch date or something?
Will you build a mac version (yeah sorry for that, I work on a mac, andI don't have a PC to play games...)?

Thanks! Ultimately the look in that gif is too muddy IMO. It looks "nice" but it's not the right style. To that end I've been experimenting with some stuff I'll detail more below.

As far as launch dates and platforms, it's a little early for me to be locking down any of those details. No clue on a date, but since I'm using unity and not making heavy use of custom shaders (at least so far) I'd definitely like to aim for a mac release as well.

These dogs have become so beautiful and diverse.

Thank you! I wanna get them even more diverse when I get more into content creation!

Just to let you know I am following this devlog   Who, Me?
Looking forward to more updates!

Thanks for following along!

--

So, I upgraded to Unity 5.6 to get some post FX stack fixes I wanted to play with. Things were mostly smooth except for one fun bug I spent some time tracking down.

I was noticing that my dogs were, uh, sort of turning partly invisible. A little concerning tbh. After some investigation I finally got consistent reproduction and figured out that the issue was with skinned meshes and physics. Unity has a default option to disable renderers when they're offscreen, which makes a lot of sense. However, after upgrading to 5.6 if a skinned mesh is jointed to another physics object and dragged offscreen via that physics interaction, when it comes back on the screen again it stays disabled. My "workaround" for now is to disable this feature for my skinned meshes. I submitted a bug report to unity, which they were able to reproduce, and fingers crossed it gets fixed sometime soon.

And then I've done a little bit of graphical exploration. First I real quick tried to make my dogs a 3D eye to see how it would look. The answer to that, by the way, is that it looks horrifying.

Obviously the style I went with has more than a little to do with that, but there are other reasons not to go with 3D eyes for now. For one, the 2D eyes are much more readable from the default camera distance at the moment, and since eyes are a major way I'm showing emotion right now that's pretty important. The other reason to stick to 2D eyes is that I need a variety of emotes for all my eye sets and doing that in 3D is much more work than keeping it in 2D. The downside of 2D eyes is of course that placement and size variation is not super on the table, at least as long as I keep the eyes as direct textures on the head models, but I think trading those features for content creation speed is acceptable for now.

I also tried to put in single-mesh legs but was having difficulty setting up the models such that each segment could scale independently. It's a little beyond my rigging skill level at the moment so I'll probably revisit that later on.

And then I also bought a really nice and very customizable toon shader from the asset store. I've done a first pass at integrating it and you can see a comparison shot below.

Top is with the shader, bottom is without. It's not the most obvious change, I'll admit, but especially in motion I think it looks much nicer. A lot of the game uses fairly flat geometry so it's more subtle than it could be but you can see the difference more easily if you look at the dog ear tips and noses.

A lot of the subtlety here is intentional, and I'll explain why. Because there's a lot of flat geometry and wobbly physics objects, a very sharp shadow ramp looks super wonky and bad when applied globally. The dog bodies in particular look mega dumb with high intensity toon shading because they get an ever-bouncing shadow attached to them.

Not good. Jiggly flat planes like this need need smoothing with their shadows. Making things more subtle means the toon effect is less immediately noticeable, especially in screenshots or compressed gifs, but in person and in motion things look crisper and more stylized than they did before and I really do think it's an improvement. I'll also probably continue to tweak the settings as the game evolves.

And then today I spent some time with genetics. I added a global scale modifier gene and in the process noticed a few things with super genes that had just never been hooked up (there were some leftover hardcoded values that bypassed the ones set in the gene tool), so I fixed a few bugs in the process.

Lastly, I've been doing some serious thinking about the game's direction. Nothing to talk about yet but I'm hoping to close in on some more concrete ideas about the game's high level direction and moment to moment interaction soon (like within the next week). For the first time basically since I've started this project, thanks to some work a few weeks back, I'm actually no longer concerned about my dogs' basic ability to move themselves from point to point. There are still improvements to be made and it's not perfect, but it's legitimately in a good place and I can't begin to tell you how much of a weight that is to have lifted off my shoulders. That said, my shrinking concern for core tech has made it more obvious than ever that I need a content plan. I've tried stuff in the past that hasn't worked and I've learned a lot about what is and isn't fun to do with these guys, so I'm hoping I can lock in on something good here. I've got some high level ideas but they need details to be actionable. We'll see!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:46:17 AM by ActualDog » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: April 15, 2017, 01:03:04 AM »

That was a good read as always Smiley

Does it make me weird, if I actually really liked your 3D eye? I think it looks pretty cute. With the 3D eye you could also add an eyelid, allowing some blinking/squinting. You could also change the placement a bit, so that dogs look less like sheep. Maybe the eye points a little more forward, depending on genetics. This would also allow the eye to start tracking stuff.
Of course, in motion this might lead you to the uncanny valley, but on the screenshot I really do think its pretty cute.

Dog Residue
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »

I just discovered this game yesterday and I'm already obsessed with it. Send help.  Shocked

I saw on your Twitter that the game is less than halfway done, but will there ever be an early access/beta for us to play around with? I just can't wait to get my hands on these cute little dogs  Kiss
ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: May 15, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »

That was a good read as always Smiley

Does it make me weird, if I actually really liked your 3D eye? I think it looks pretty cute. With the 3D eye you could also add an eyelid, allowing some blinking/squinting. You could also change the placement a bit, so that dogs look less like sheep. Maybe the eye points a little more forward, depending on genetics. This would also allow the eye to start tracking stuff.
Of course, in motion this might lead you to the uncanny valley, but on the screenshot I really do think its pretty cute.

Haha, thanks. I still wanna eventually have much more variation for the heads and eyes, so there'll be more exploration later, but for now this 3D eye is dead and buried deep where it absolutely cannot stare at me.

I just discovered this game yesterday and I'm already obsessed with it. Send help.  Shocked

I saw on your Twitter that the game is less than halfway done, but will there ever be an early access/beta for us to play around with? I just can't wait to get my hands on these cute little dogs  Kiss

Thank you! I've thought about early access a bit but even if I end up going that route it's still too early for it. I'll definitely be wanting testing in some form at some point but I don't want to promise anything until I'm further along!

---

So I actually don't have a ton to talk about right now but I wanted to break my radio silence. I had jumped on another project for a bit but that's now wrapped up and as of today I'm back to pouring my time into these dogs.

My focus at this point is entirely on prototyping some new ideas for gameplay. The basic pen gameplay and dog raising is something I want to keep, but like I mentioned my last post I'm really not convinced it's enough to drive the whole experience. I have a lot of thoughts on this but I wanna save most of those and most of what I've tried so far for a bigger write-up once I've found a direction that seems promising. For the time being I have a few miscellaneous gifs I can drop off.

Hoping my efforts lead me to something more concrete soon. I'm definitely looking forward to making forward progress again.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic