Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:00:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe 134 Game Project
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The 134 Game Project  (Read 5971 times)
bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »

Week five is done! I'm starting to pack all the games into one file, and should add weeks one and two to this file soon.

I worked mainly on platformers this week; experimenting with automatic doors, destructible boxes, changing weapons, and talking to NPC's. Mainly, I was trying to get the basics of platformers down (I'm not very good at making them).

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »

Week six is done.

The first game of this week, game 36, was working on making custom fonts; but after games 37 and 38 ended up annoyingly easy, I spent the rest of the week trying to make more challenging ones. Tomorrow begins the week of strategy games, lets see what I'll be able to make.

Lastly, I got some sound software (BFXR), so this weeks last two games have sound. I also added week two to the main file and should be able to add week one over the weekend.

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »

Week seven is done.

I dedicated this week fully to working on strategy games, but things didn't go so well. The first five are essentially unfinished tech experiments where you just move around units and destroy defenseless enemies. The last two are a bit better though; I trimmed down the screen size to 64x48 pixels and was able to make a more game-like two-player strategy game. Today's game was my third attempt at the turn-based battle system and, with the trimmed down screen size, I was able to finish a lot more than my last two attempts.

I'm not planning on dedicating next week to any particular genre. I am, however, planning on making some parts of games (an rpg menu system, a world map, etc) and a Dungeons of Fayte-esque game.

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »

Week eight is done.

I was able to finish everything I planned to this week. I made a bare-bones world map, a basic rpg menu, a point and click (Its as close to something like dungeons of fayte that I can make) two arcade games, a maze game, and a remake of the very first game of this project, Plateau.

You can play all of them here. I'm not planning on dedicating next week to any genre in particular, so its probably going to be as random as this week.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »

This is great!
I'm looking forward to checking out what you come up with for the rest of the days.

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »

Thanks Fervir! Elysis is looking really awesome, and I hope to play it when its done.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »

I love seeing people undertake these kinds of projects, I always find them really inspirational.  Keep up the good work!
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »

An interesting experiment, though I wonder what there is legitimately to be gained from doing this.

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 02:32:30 AM »

Somebody should do a game with nothing but world maps.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 04:45:39 AM »

An interesting experiment, though I wonder what there is legitimately to be gained from doing this.

Experience, learning?

You're 40% there OP. Doo eet.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »

@C.D Buckmaster
Thanks! I'm glad its inspiring.

@Ryansumo
Like Alvarop is saying, experience and learning. Because of the time constraint, I'm only able to really cover the basics of each genre. But by making all these games over and over again, I'm constantly seeing new ways to make each one faster, make them look more polished, and, with the extra time I have, add more stuff.

I remade the first game of this project yesterday, and was able to both add more to it, and actually ended up stopping before the hour was up because I couldn't think of anything else to add.

@Nikolaus
That would be pretty awesome.

@Alvarop
Pretty much.

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »

Baller

This is getting my so hyped

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »

Week nine went well. For the first three days I worked on shop menus; after making two unfinished ones, I finally made a third one that worked. After that, I made an RTS modeled after an idea I had during the week of the strategy but forgot. To close off the week, I worked on three arcade games; attempting to find ways to code movement more quickly, make alternate score bars, and experiment with things I've never added to arcade games (such as shields).

Anyway, you can try all of them here

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:16 PM »

The project is officially halfway done. There is one minor problem though. The file I'm making these games in has gotten very fat over the last few weeks; this in turn has affected the load times, which in turn has made it take longer to playtest games. So as to save some minutes, and not be losing a whole quarter-hour to load times by the end of this project, I'm cutting the project into two parts. You will still go to the same page to download the games, but there will be two files to download: the first half and the second half.

Also, here's an excessively long list showing the genre and completion status of the first sixty-seven games. I wanted to make a GIF of all the screenshots but I really don't have enough time (case in point, I missed my first day yesterday and had to make two games today)

1.Plateau (Arcade)
2.Menu Style (Experiment)
3.Turn-based Example (RPG - Unfinished)
4.Do Not Murder Them (Arcade)
5.Rever (Arcade)
6.Friends, Enemies, and Teleporters (Arcade)
7.Linear (Arcade)
8.The City (Text Adventure)
9.Looping Valley (Rougelike)
10.Glock (FPS)
11.Supa-Punch (Arcade)
12.RTS Test (RTS - Unfinished)
13.Platformer Test 1 (Platformer - Unfinished)
14.Garden Defense (Tower Defense - Unfinished)
15.Hometown (Text Adventure)
16.Shadows (Point and Click)
17.Platformer Test 2 (Platformer - Unfinished)
18.Sky Warden (Arcade - Unfinished)
19.War Zone (Arcade)
20.Adventure (Adventure game)
21.They're Moving (Arcade)
22.Find The Light (Adventure game)
23.Idea Maker (Experiment)
24.Make Ship (Experiment)
25.Mystery Box (Experiment)
26.Fight! (Two Player game)
27.Turntextrogue (RPG - Unfinished)
28.Move Box (Experiment)
29.Glitchling (Arcade - Unfinished)
30.Platformer Test 3 (Platformer - Unfinished)
31.In Space (Platformer)
32.Abandoned (Platformer)
33.Heartless (Platformer)
34.Grumble (Platformer)
35.Hello There! (Platformer)
36.Cyote (Text Adventure - Unfinished)
37.Yellow (Arcade - Unfinished)
38.Galactica (Arcade - Unfinished)
39.Goliath (Arcade)
40.Air Attack (Arcade)
41.Laservideotv (Arcade)
42.Always Move (Arcade)
43.One Check (RTS - Unfinished)
44.Forest Slime (RTS - Unfinished)
45.RTS Test+ (RTS - Unfinished)
46.RTS Test++ (RTS - Unfinished)
47.Green Space (RTS - Unfinished)
48.Micro Battle (RTS)
49.Micro RPG (RTS)
50.Wyrld Map (Experiment)
51.RPG Menu (Experiment)
52.Terminal (Point and Click)
53.Fight Yourself (Arcade)
54.Blue and Green (Arcade)
55.Exit (Maze game)
56.Alien Waves (Arcade)
57.Shopping (Experiment)
58.The Shop (Experiment - Unfinished)
59.Shop Work (Experiment)
60.RTS Test+++ (RTS - Unfinished)
61.Goblings (Arcade)
62.Fun and Lasers (Arcade)
63.Viper (Arcade)
64.RTS Test++++ (RTS - Unfinished)
65.Monster (Text Adventure - Unfinished)
66.Short Game (Platformer)
67.Desert Orc (Tower Defense - Unfinished)

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »

Week ten was most interesting...

I started off by making a very small RTS that I was able to add a surprising amount of depth too. Next, I made the last text adventure I'm going to make for this project (I don't have anything else to learn from them). Then, I attempted to experiment with jetpacks in platformers, but ended up with just a buggy platformer. After that, I made two basic tower defense games (the second one is better than the first one) in the style of Plants vs Zombies. Day six is where things got interesting. I was experimenting with 3D perspectives (not actual 3D, just some sprites that give the illusion of 3D) and ended up with a game that was making me want to throw up. Because of that fact, Its listed, but it can't be played. I ended the week by making a top-down explorer game that has you wandering around picking up random items as a totally lost mage.

I unhappily have to admit that I forgot to add instructions to quite a bit of this weeks games. Mouse scrolling is necessary to playing both tower defense games and I forgot to mention it; I also forgot to add any instructions whatsoever to the top-down game I was just talking about. If you go to play it, use the arrow keys.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:46:01 PM by bellmind » Logged

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »

I must follow this for pure kudosity. A lot of these make me think of the games we used to buy on a cassette at the jumble-sale - pure nonsensical fun!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »

@oodavid
Thanks!

Week eleven is done, but so is the project. My schedule has been getting tighter and tighter these last few days, and even though it only take an hour to make these games, I need that hour elsewhere.

Thanks for all the support, and here are some quick notes I took during the project.

1.If you're looking to learn a new language, or improve your knowledge of one you already know, projects like these are great. However, if making one game every day doesn't really fit into your schedule, try going for making a game every week or month. Also, if your worried about flooding the internet with low quality games (and turning indie games into the new causal games) you can either jam them all into a single file, or just post screenshots and explanations of them.

2.If your looking to make a game that's worth playing, but you don't have a lot of time on your hands, opt for either a text adventure or a point and click. These two genres give you the best work-to-(how-long-its-going-to-take-to-play-the-game) ratio. Note, however, that text adventures can become very complicated very fast; find some way to plan out the one you're making or your going to end up with a lot of extra work to do (the same probably goes for point and clicks).

3.Arcade games were probably the easiest games to make. They required very little time to get up and running, and ended up being some of the most complete-looking games I made during this project.

4.RTS', RPG battle systems, and platformers all took a lot more time to get working than I expected they would. Games from these three genres ended being some of the most incomplete looking games I made during this project.

5.Tower defense games I tended to shy away from. I like them when their in the Plants vs Zombies format, (and I made two of them in said format) but otherwise I can't stand them.

6.I didn't really do any 3D projects. I made a few games with a 3D perspective (even though there was no actual 3D) but I wasn't able to add much to them (and one caused what I believe was motion sickness) so I shied away from them.

7.Text adventures and Point and clicks had to be the games I had the most fun making. I was able to add a lot of stuff (most of the time) and a lot of depth with a very small amount of work. I couldn't learn much from them though, so I only made around three.

8.I didn't make a lot of games with a top-down perspective, but the ones that I did I'm sorta proud of.

9.The two-player games I made weren't that good, (Fight! being absolutely terrible) and that's probably the reason I only made two.

10.I didn't make any puzzle games. I'm not really sure why...

11.I knew I wouldn't be able to make a roguelike in an hour, but I still tried. The scrolling bar of text included in rougelikes though was surprisingly easy to make, and I used it in many subsequent projects.

12.I'd like to expand some of the games I made in this project at some point. I think a game like turntextrogue (an RPG done entirely in text) would be both a very fun game to make and a very fun game to play.

13.This project should probably have slowed me down when it comes to working on other projects, but it didn't. Instead, I finished/started and finished at least three other games during this project: a scrolling shooter, a brick breaker, and an arena shooter.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic