Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 06:17:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe 134 Game Project
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The 134 Game Project  (Read 5970 times)
bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »

The 134 Game Project is me attempting to make a game every day in an hour for the next one-hundred and thirty-four days. Here are some links for the project so far; and if you want to, you can follow the whole thing here

You can play all of them here

Day 71: Albion
Was experimenting with views and stuff today. Its essentially an interactive map giving you information of the four continents of Albion.

Day 72: Green Potions
Today's game is Green Potions. You bumble around a field, picking up two different kinds of potions, and opening up your inventory to see how many you have. You can also zoom in and out, but it messes up the pixels, so its not advised.

Day 73: Liabus
Explore the four areas of the land of Liabus. This was supposed to be a world map for a short adventure/platformer; (that, sadly, will probably never come to be) in the end, however, it came out looking pretty good.

Day 74: Fields
Fields is a simple arcade game where you run around a field shooting slimes. Like some of the games before it, its rather boring, and I advise skipping over it.

Day 75: Battleship
I wrote a long, dreary article explaining today's game. If you notice parallels with one of the previous games, that's good; this isn't the first time I've tried to make a ship like this. You can read the article here.

Day 76: Dreadnought
Tried making that ship again today. It went well, the ship is fully functioning; but as you play it, you will notice that the ship is very difficult to control. Because of this, I bet the best place for a ship like this one would be in a multiplayer game; there, the battles would be intensely difficult, as everyone struggles to maneuver their ship, dodge enemy fire, and kill off their enemies.

Day 77: Carrier
Fix up a broken carrier to get it moving again.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:51:30 PM by bellmind » Logged

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »

One game made in a day for an hour for 134 days. Are you crazy, sir?
Just kidding. Good luck!  Gomez

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »

@alvarop
Thanks.

Also, here is the first seven.
http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/plastic-bits-of-magic/22295/

I'll update the main post with this as soon as I can.

Tom Horse
Level 0

Diamonds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:21:15 AM »

AWESOME
Really, man, good luck, I'll follow this project *O*

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »

Thanks Tom Horse!

Well, looking back on this first week, I can't say I'm liking the overabundance of arcade games. Because of that, the first thing I did when I got up this morning was make a list of all the genres I could think of. For the next week, I'm going to pick a genre from that list and make a game using it. Today's was text adventure. I've never made a text adventure before, so I was thinking of only giving the player two choices just to make sure I had time to code everything. I was able to get that result... within fifteen minutes. Thankfully, within the next forty-five minutes, I was able to add around four more sets, creating a basic story and possibly a good start to an actual text adventure.   

Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 03:01:39 AM »

Dang, this is pretty radical. Are you using anything as a springboard, or are you coding, arting, etc. everything from scratch in 1 hour each day?

Tom Horse
Level 0

Diamonds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 03:10:03 AM »

Yo man, you mean another game or this text adventure in this huge project?
Wow wow, cool, you could make this text adventure like some kind of multiple storyline and each way presents .. I hope you understand me, but this is just my opinion.
Your idea of this project is perfect, I like it very much, so I hope you will make it in in the best possible way :3

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 06:15:39 AM »

@Jodediah
Yes, I am trying to do everything (art, code, playtesting, etc) in an hour. The only thing that I used as a springboard, was a color pallet I brought in to make the sprites in my third project.

I started this because I saw an article on Indie Statik a while back about the one hour game jam; and, not liking how few games I finish, decided to start this.

Another thing that was on that list of genres I was talking about, was a list of in-game components (main menu, battle system, credits, movement, world map, etc). I'm thinking that I might try going through that list for a week or two, and see if its possible to make a full-fledged game working one hour at a time. Another thing I want to start adding to these projects is color; so I'm either going to bring in that 16 color pallet again, or quickly make 8 color pallets whenever I start a game.

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »

Day 10 is done! Only three more games until I can change the message icon to 10% complete.

A couple of things though...

1. I need to buy GM Pro. The watermark is ruining a lot of the games I'm making (especially today's).
2. I need to find the terminal font. Its the font I use the most, and I can't find it; if any of you know where it can downloaded please tell me.

Checking gamejolt, I found that I can use a single game as a place to dump all of these; and then I can just add a news story and a new directory file every time I finish a game.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »

Good luck!

Followed

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »

Day 13 is done, and the project is now officially ten percent complete.

However, something I need to do before this week is done, is collect all of this weeks games into a single executable. Like the text adventure game I made, many of these games are only fun for half a minute or so and then get pretty boring. If I upload them separately, that's around 28 MB for three and a half minutes worth of entertainment; if I pour them all into a single file, I might be able to trim that down to somewhere around ten MB.

Reaper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »

Props for you bell, I can't imagine doing a game in one hour, but yeah looks like a fun experience.

Good luck, I'll be following Grin

YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »

1. I need to buy GM Pro. The watermark is ruining a lot of the games I'm making (especially today's).
You could try GameMaker: Studio. It has a resource limit instead of a watermark during the runtime, but this shouldn't be as critical if you're spending just a day on each game. Might have to compact several rooms into one in some cases though.
2. I need to find the terminal font. Its the font I use the most, and I can't find it; if any of you know where it can downloaded please tell me.
Not sure whether you mean actual font named "Terminal" or the one used in command prompt, but you can find TTF versions of either around the internet.
For example, this FixedSys TTF clone.

Good luck with this!

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 07:10:27 PM »

Thanks Reaper!

@YellowAfterlife
I don't know about getting studio. I like the idea of having no watermark, but I've heard that its rather difficult to transition from working with GameMaker to working with GameMaker:Studio; also, I just looked at the resource restrictions, and with me trying to condense a weeks worth of games into a single executable the restrictions are to tight.

I'm sorry I was vague about the font; its name was terminal, but mainly I was looking for a clean pixel font with no anti-alias. I'll check the font as soon as I can, and thank you for linking to it.

The condensing thing I was talking about went well, but I think I should explain it first. If you go to the first post and click on the, "Days 1-7," link, you go to the gamejolt page of the games where you can download them. The problem there is you have to download each of the games individually; each of which being 4 MB, you have to download a total of 28 MB. Then there is the fact that each of these games, each one being made in an hour, doesn't have more than half a minute worth of gameplay to them; leaving you with seven quick games that weren't really worth downloading.

However, after spending the last two hours on it, I was able to condense all of this weeks games into a single executable with a size of only 4MB. So that I don't have to keep on spending two hours on that every week, I'm just going to start a new GM file every week and then build that weeks worth of games in it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:10:18 AM by bellmind » Logged

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »

Days eight through fourteen are done and have been uploaded! Note that because I was experimenting with a bunch of genres, some of these games are a little content thin. http://gamejolt.com/games/other/cotton-box-candies/22578/

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

Instead of either releasing a game a day and flooding a site with poor quality games or releasing them in batches every Thursday, I've switched over to releasing them daily up to files of seven. Here are this weeks first two. Expect another one tomorrow. http://gamejolt.com/games/other/a-loss-of-words/22670/

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »

Week three is done!

Slight problem though. I've made a game featuring every genre I can think of besides puzzle and a game with isometric perspective; if you can think of any genres that aren't listed below, please drop a comment.

Scrolling shooter
RTS
FPS
Text Adventure
Puzzle
Platformer
Arcade
Adventure
RPG
Tower Defense
Arena Shooter
A Game from the top-down perspective
An Isometric Game
A Game with a story
Point and Click
Rougelike

YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »

@YellowAfterlife
I don't know about getting studio. I like the idea of having no watermark, but I've heard that its rather difficult to transition from working with GameMaker to working with GameMaker:Studio; also, I just looked at the resource restrictions, and with me trying to condense a weeks worth of games into a single executable the restrictions are to tight.
Transition is okay, as long as you weren't relying on execute_string or variable_local_* too much. Theme looks unfamiliar, but you can switch that to "GM8" in preferences.
For a note, a Standard edition (which includes non-limited Windows export) is free right now (and until Mar 2nd). Perhaps you could at least try - I remember the watermark getting on my nerves when messing with pixel games in 8.1 Lite.

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »

Someone else also told me that it was free, so I tried getting it; sadly, it was a one-hundred and thirty-five MB download, and my computer would die before it downloaded it. However, I got GM Pro so you can say goodbye to the watermark on all future games; I also re-uploaded copies of the old games (weeks one-three) without the watermark. Lastly, here's a screenshot from today's game.

bellmind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:48 PM »

Week four is done! Its packed in with week three here.

Games of this week...

22 - Find the Light - Short adventure game
23 - Idea Maker - Makes (really poor quality) game ideas for you
24 - Make Ship - A ship designing and testing game
25 - Mystery Box - Just a bunch of random stuff
26 - Fight! - Two player deathmatch shooter
27 - Textturnrouge - Turned the turn-based battle system into a text game and added a bit of rougelike
28 - Move Box - Test out three different kinds of 2D movement while you collect falling magenta coins

Bad weather is apparently moving into my area tomorrow and the next few days. If the main posts doesn't get updated, you'll know why.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic