Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 12:19:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTreasureline
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Treasureline  (Read 29848 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »

I like the animation, but maybe on the downstroke some blur could make it look faster.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »

Why would anyone want to play as the guy with a key and not the guy with a sword?
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »

Why would anyone want to play as the guy with a key and not the guy with a sword?

Your opinion might change when you enter a room with 20 locked doors. (just kidding)

But seriously, that's a good point. This grab-only-one-item concept might probably not survive very long. But on the other hand, you can drop your key and grab a 2nd sword. Noone will kill you. (well, maybe someone will)

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 07:33:02 AM »

Maybe instead of a key, make it a lockpick or something.  It amounts to the same thing in the end, but it might make the one carrying it feel cooler.  You could also add a special ability to the key item, such as being able to detect hidden doors at close range.  That is also a good idea for an item on its own though... Undecided

I am also a fan of the art style.  My first impression was that the end ball was the dragon's head.  I was corrected after looking at the other screenshot, but I think the dragon looks fine either way Smiley

This looks like a fun project.  Do you plan on having a lobby like StarCraft/Halo/etc so that players can more easily find each other?  Or do you want to keep it invite-only to help prevent hacking issues?

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 08:10:12 AM »

Here's a test for the flying animation. I don't like it very much, but I might stick with it. Any hints how to improve it?

To be honest, I do not like the dragon without head. Too abstract for the style i am up to. It will need at least a head. I would be ok for me to drop the wings, but it has to fly somehow, you know...

Also, the dragon is a key element in this game, so I cannot skip it. (the other game elements are quite simple)

Have the head at static z, i.e. not moving up and down. Same for the tail or some other movement. Just a bit of lag on it would help.

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 08:18:09 AM »

@invisibleMan: Ok, a lockpick-guy is cooler than a key-guy  Wink It depends on the final game, tough. If there are lots of puzzles and only a few monsters, it might work. But if there are lots of monsters, then anyone should be able to fight them.

About the network: Actually, all player appear in the same world. And they start in the same room. (call it lobby if you want) But because of the peer-to-peer structure of the network, there's an upper limit of simultanous acting clients. I don't know what I am intending here. It should not be a problem, until the game is getting too popular.

@Alex May: Yes, good idea  Hand Thumbs Up Right

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »

For some reason, I thought all the different characters started out quite far from each other and had to make their way to the same spot to team up.  It'd be awesome if each person had to go through several rooms and skip a lot of interesting things because they need other people to get to them.

Then once everyone met up, they could share what they found on the way and talk about going to get it.  Wizard

Tell me that's what you had in mind.

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 03:15:05 AM »

Actually, I wanted to create one single world for all players, like in a mmorpg. (yes, it might be an adventurous move to mention mmorpg in context with a game that only supports 16 clients at a time)

So, if you enter the game, then already playing characters are spread all over the map and you will have to find them. (probably) It remains to be seen if that single-world-plan is possible with a peer-to-peer network. (I do not have a fallback-plan, yet)

And yes, I want to include barriers that only can be crossed by a cooperating party. (e.g. puzzles) And boss-monsters should be too tough to be killed by one single character...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:24:28 AM by Lazycow » Logged

LazyWaffle
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 05:54:53 AM »

This looks rad.
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 10:42:33 AM »

Here's an improved flapping animation. This time there are 8 animation frames for the wings. Dragon's head is still under construction, though...

Ashkin
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »

Kiss
Beautiful.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »

Lovely! I'd suggest that the upwardly movement wouldn't be so smooth and happen over such a long period of time; instead, make it happen in a few frames right when the wings have flapped to the bottom-most position.

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 08:39:19 AM »

A new dragon animation... This time with head, 360 degree flapping and some background pixels from Tocky.
Creating these wings was way too complicated. I have been too ambitious, something simpler would have done the job, as well. Ok, time to do some other things for the game.

@Hempuli: Yes, the z-movement was out of sync.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 08:44:15 AM »

Holy yellow-ball-dragon!  That's an awesome dragon!  The hard work paid off that thing looks amazing! Grin

MaloEspada
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »

Wow, it's so smooth and so pro..
Congratulations and keep going : D!
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:31 AM »

One more vote for awesomeness from me.
HöllenKobold
Level 10