Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 08:20:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCan a game make a person cry and some arguing too. <.<
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Can a game make a person cry and some arguing too. <.<  (Read 8106 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:24:29 AM »

Hi! In this topic I will describe why there is not one game on earth that can make you cry.

So, why don't and could games make you cry? This question NEEDS to be answered. I personally believe it CAN be answered. You CAN make a love story game that is so emotional that it doesn't take an absolute nerd to cry. To answer this question you need to know what love is. AND NO, LOVE IS NOT SEX YOU FOOL!!! This question needs to be answered, because if it is not, you will never really know if games can be art. I have never played a game that would cause me to cry. I have played games that are epic but I have never played games that are beautiful. After visiting the moral revolution conference I understand that we will not see any games that can make you cry until we see a world that can give you tears of joy(not tears of hate, tears of sadness and tears of self pity).

There are many games that have come close to the "I'm going to cry" moment but none have succeed due to the Goddamn perverted culture that just HAD TO put some dumb thing in there.

So, if were on the subject of "What makes you cry" let's discuss books(Not films, but will get there shortly) too. Hmm... I have probably read all the Narnias, half the LOTR series(Yes, even the children of Hūrin), almost all the Redwals(still waiting for the sable queen) and about 20 other classical and non-classical books. I can remember almost no case that would cause me to be emotional. Note: I did say ALMOST no case. I cried at the end of "The last battle" when I woke up the next morning and I cried about the rat in "Matimeo" because he was just a kid. I also cried for martins dead wife(If B.Jakes ever hears this, You made a MISTAKE when you wrote that part!!!). I also felt sad for that lady who died in LoTR. I did not cry for Tūrin and his sister for they wereth not of full mind and soul but were as trees in the sway of the wind of emotions... And also partially because the whole thing was in old-English(and because they married each other. WHY!?). Films can make people feel emotional doe to the scope that they have(Look up Forest Gump to see what I mean).

Why so few? Well, to feel emotional for someone(in this case the main hero dude) you must first grow attached to him/her. These days, you can not grow attached to the main characters because they are too inhumane of too sinful of a stereotype or they have absolutely wrong motives or desires(Yes, live with it). Have you ever asked yourself why you didn't cry for Dante, or Sonic(the new on, not the old one), or the godofwar trilogy, or meat-boy?

What is Dantes world like? What is the new sonic's character and friends? All meatboy does is go after a girlfriend like mad(I school you are "Cool" if tou use someone just to get you that "Cool" status).

We live in a ruined culture. Something has to change. I strongly advise that the next time you want to make a game that asks theses questions, you would consider that emotions can and will be caused by a person that is human after all. Humans tend to love one another if they love themselves-Today, the level of violence has caused people to not love themselves(hence the great immorality gap). A human will want to relate to someone like himself(And there is no game with someone who is truly human). And, after all, humans are the ones who will be playing your games. You can not write a love story with the modern day world settings. It just isn't possible. However, this does not mean that the question is answered. I'm still waiting to see that game that does it right...

EDIT: Ok so some games can make some people cry(by that I mean that they are emmotional.) but why isn't there one game that would make "EVERYONE" cry?

I hope that this helped in some way. thanks!
-Varis-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:09:21 AM by antymattar » Logged

Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »

Games have made me cry before. But I think games are not art, but something much more. Art has never made me cry.
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:31:48 AM »

Games have made me cry before. But I think games are not art, but something much more. Art has never made me cry.
I was going to talk about that too. When I say art, I mean films, books and music. NOT davinči paintings.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »

No painting has made me cry. A certain Pixar movie has, however.

Storytelling, that's where it is at. Powerful emotions can only be conveyed and invoked through storytelling.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »

there is not one game on earth that can make you cry.
-Varis-
oh ok i guess i didnt really cry at those games
gotcha
Theophilus
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »

I know what you meant. I haven't cried at a movie or a book. Maybe a little bit at a movie.

I strongly disagree with you saying games can't make a person cry.
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »

O then name a game that has. Shrug

Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »

Storytelling, that's where it is at.

This, pretty much. You still need a good game though, and setting and characters that aren't retarded. Somehow people just can't get all of those right for some reason.

And there is no game with someone who is truly human.
And this is usually what makes the latter two fail. (I disagree that there aren't any though)

indy games are a bull shit
Theophilus
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »

I'll name five.

-FF8
-Breath of Fire 4
-Chrono Trigger
-Kingdom Hearts
-LoZ: OoT
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »

Disgaea made me cry.

Renton
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:18:37 AM »

I would like to bitchslap anyone who says FFVII made them cry.
Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:25 AM »

no guys great games making you emotional isn't what we're after here i've also done that many times

antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »

Seriously? Final fantaasies and zeldas? and "J"rpg's? What ARE you? Noir

Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »

edit: lol look how many times passage has been mentioned now.

anyone who finds meaning in that without pretending to look for it and making it up should jump off a cliff
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:37:28 AM by Zecks » Logged

Theophilus
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:27 AM »

You are a bigot and an elitist. Why do you care what kind of games I play? Why do you care which games make me cry?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »

This sure went downhill fast.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 08:43:23 AM »

Seriously? Final fantaasies and zeldas? and "J"rpg's? What ARE you? Noir
Not sure if this is joke or not  Concerned

Anyway, the most recent one was Syberia 2's ending. There has also been many other ones and some which have not made me "cry" but feel longing and other rather strong emotions. I don't see why crying should be in special position here. Many people don't cry to any human creations which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't great works. But yes, I think story has much to do here and since usually storytelling in games is rather primitive...

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 08:46:57 AM »

You are a bigot and an elitist. Why do you care what kind of games I play? Why do you care which games make me cry?

He's not a bigot or an elitist. He has a serious mental problem commonly known as being eight years old.
Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »

fart

antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »

@ Theophilus: I can not take you seriously with that avatar(if that was aimed at me).
@ Paint by Numbers: I don't know a single eight-year-old who would have the atention span to read 50+ 'boooooring' books and pay attention to other peoples views. I am not eight(This means I payed attention to your view).

@ Theophilus again: About your view: That was a joke  Roll Eyes... No really. I just wish that people stopped making jrpg's. Like, NOW.  Tears of Joy

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic